How was Guardiola as a player?

gers1978

Saw the above question on Quora and was impressed with this answer:

"He was a weak 10 transformed into an incredible 6.

His vision and technique made him trained as a typical playmaker. But as he grew up, he had a weak physique. In 90’s Spain was very, very different. They value physique and duels. The national team was nicknamed “la furia roja”. The red rage. Players have to be aggressive and go to duel.

So Guardiola was an anomaly. He couldn't play pro in this context as a 10. Johann Cruyff saw the potential, and decided to place him as a 6 in his 3–4–3. As Cruyff system need to play high, and with intense rhythm, he absolutely need every player to be a good footballer before a warrior. So he positioned Guardiola in front of his defense, far from agressive midfielders. So he could have time to pass and impulse attack patterns.

Cruyff favored his strong point. An incredible vision and spatial cognition, coupled with a sure pass, short or long. In order to be effective he needed to be in front of the game. Always watching his partners runs and position.

In fact, Cruyff killed the traditional playmaker. He shared the role. The 6 would be the builder, and the forwards would also move a lot, sharing the creative tasks according to their position and the runs of their partners. With players like Guardiola, Stoichkov, Laudrup and Bakero, you didn't need a 10, in fact, everybody was a 10.

Cruyff built his team according to the strong points of his players. He acted in almost total improvisation. In opposition with a Sacchi or a Lobanovsky, where every movements were pre defined, theorized, and almost became reflexes. Cruyff favored a total liberty for his players. He just imagined and give his tactical orders according pure instinct.

That is why he could loose games by being litterally crushed, or have goal fest, the system was not balanced. Even if he knew it, Cruyff would favor his philosophy anyway.

That's why he absolutely need Guardiola. Someone who could decide and act in an almost total free system. Covered by Koeman, Guardiola act like a manager on the field. A quarterback deciding the playbook.

It it thanks to Cruyff that a player like Guardiola could play and revolution the role of defensive midfielder."

I only remember him as a 6. I thought he was bang average and was never really in the attacking picture. But I guess in hindsight that’s the mark of a successful 6?

Champ Man legend. Unlike most Champ Man legends, he could play football well in real life too. Felt like the first modern day holding midfielder

He was a very classy midfielder with good range of passing. Remember being gutted that he was injured and missed the World Cup (think it was 1998).

Mad saying this but he was a fantastic player classed in that era of great Spanish players who done,sorry won %^*& all for their National team.Damn all of a sudden I’m realising my age lol.
Hierro,Raul,Alfonso,Mendieta,Luis Enrique,Guerrero,Morientes and the amazingly overly underrated(imho) Ivan Helguera what a fantastic squad they had during the late 90’s early 2000’s

You nearly became the 6th item on my "FF Nuggets of Football Wisdom" list, but just about redeemed yourself with your last sentence!
Lol sorry mate but I think he was just one of those players I didn’t really notice.

good player

great coach

massive wanker
He was a clever player - a thinker and did a lot of work to let others shine.

He has translated that into his coaching... which he has done at clubs where he is afforded massive transfer budgets so he can bring in the very best players.
I’d genuinely like to see what he would do at a mid-table club in England or for talking sake what he would have done walking into Rangers in the summer of 2018.
How much of it is coaching of already superb players vs the development & improvement of players is the one thing you can throw at him.

Don’t know about the last bit but it made for a funny reply B-D

A very good player, a top player but not world class. Not in the class of a Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets or a Xabi Alonso.

An incredible thinker and football brain though which has translated into management. By the time he's finished in management he will likely be widely recognised as the best ever and someone who totally transformed the game.

A very good player, a top player but not world class. Not in the class of a Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets or a Xabi Alonso.

An incredible thinker and football brain though which has translated into management. By the time he's finished in management he will likely be widely recognised as the best ever and someone who totally transformed the game.
I think he was better than Alonso, very similar players though

My memory is a bit hazy on Pep but I think he fell out of the team and wasn’t a regular at his peak due to injury but was a regular in the team from an early age. Think he moved to Italy after Barca

My memory is a bit hazy on Pep but I think he fell out of the team and wasn’t a regular at his peak due to injury but was a regular in the team from an early age. Think he moved to Italy after Barca
He went to Brescia where he got banned for using PEDs

He was decent not a physical number 6 he was tutored by Cruyff and became a very good team player who could set the tempo of a game

He was a good player. He was nowhere near the player a lot of people would make you believe.

If I had to compare him to a current player for both style and ability I’d go for Kovacic at Chelsea.

By the way Busquets is a shadow of the player he once was. Great for taking needless gambles in dangerous areas and putting his team up shit creek though.

Yup, he should have been moved on by now or featured a lot less regular

Think he’s just another part of the shambles that is Barca the now

What a player on his day though

Yup, he should have been moved on by now or featured a lot less regular

Think he’s just another part of the shambles that is Barca the now

What a player on his day though
I’ve read a few books about the great Pep Barca team and all of his team mates said he had the best first touch at the club, and his nickname among them was “half-touch”. Not bad in a squad that included peak Messi, peak Xavi and peak Iniesta!

I’ve read a few books about the great Pep Barca team and all of his team mates said he had the best first touch at the club, and his nickname among them was “half-touch”. Not bad in a squad that included peak Messi, peak Xavi and peak Iniesta!

Brilliant player.

Just appeared to do the simple things really well

That is what separates the best from the rest right enough.

The basics in football not as easy as it sounds

Saw the above question on Quora and was impressed with this answer:

"He was a weak 10 transformed into an incredible 6.

His vision and technique made him trained as a typical playmaker. But as he grew up, he had a weak physique. In 90’s Spain was very, very different. They value physique and duels. The national team was nicknamed “la furia roja”. The red rage. Players have to be aggressive and go to duel.

So Guardiola was an anomaly. He couldn't play pro in this context as a 10. Johann Cruyff saw the potential, and decided to place him as a 6 in his 3–4–3. As Cruyff system need to play high, and with intense rhythm, he absolutely need every player to be a good footballer before a warrior. So he positioned Guardiola in front of his defense, far from agressive midfielders. So he could have time to pass and impulse attack patterns.

Cruyff favored his strong point. An incredible vision and spatial cognition, coupled with a sure pass, short or long. In order to be effective he needed to be in front of the game. Always watching his partners runs and position.

In fact, Cruyff killed the traditional playmaker. He shared the role. The 6 would be the builder, and the forwards would also move a lot, sharing the creative tasks according to their position and the runs of their partners. With players like Guardiola, Stoichkov, Laudrup and Bakero, you didn't need a 10, in fact, everybody was a 10.

Cruyff built his team according to the strong points of his players. He acted in almost total improvisation. In opposition with a Sacchi or a Lobanovsky, where every movements were pre defined, theorized, and almost became reflexes. Cruyff favored a total liberty for his players. He just imagined and give his tactical orders according pure instinct.

That is why he could loose games by being litterally crushed, or have goal fest, the system was not balanced. Even if he knew it, Cruyff would favor his philosophy anyway.

That's why he absolutely need Guardiola. Someone who could decide and act in an almost total free system. Covered by Koeman, Guardiola act like a manager on the field. A quarterback deciding the playbook.

It it thanks to Cruyff that a player like Guardiola could play and revolution the role of defensive midfielder."
Steven Davis as he is today in Gerrard's Rangers.

Very good player, but unsurprisingly a drug cheat.

I don't doubt for a second that has carried into his coaching, his 'medical' hires at clubs are not a coincidence.

Brilliant player.

Just appeared to do the simple things really well

That is what separates the best from the rest right enough.

The basics in football not as easy as it sounds
Yeah the above applies to Xavi as well. There's a reason the greats in any sport are considered great - they make something look easy that ultimately is not easy at all.

I've always thought young players and boys here should try emulate Xavi or Busquets; don't try emulate Messi or Iniesta, you simply can't really aspire to be able to do what they can do, it's probably never gonna happen. But you CAN aspire to do what Xavi or Busquets can do, cos everything they do is, on the face it, simple. It's just executed perfectly, 99.9% of the time. That's the difficult bit.

Back