How was Yilmaz?

Guys saying atleast he looks fast, the killie player Alebiosu dusted him second half, out of all the signings weve made he has the biggest question mark over him for me.
The stoke fullback we were linked with looked more suited to the punt and run league we play in.
Really thought the lundstram colak tillman build was the type we were going after. Worrying on first view.
Came to this conclusion after 60 minutes hahaha

You can't seriously think he is 2cm shorter than Tav. Of all the things about modern football to make you laugh, the willingess of some people to not believe their own eyes is right up there.
What is this crazy obsession with the boys height? Lol

What is this crazy obsession with the boys height? Lol
He is quite short that's all. Noticeably so. Plenty of world class players have been though. People even getting touchy over pointing out that he is short and making up stuff to claim he isn't haha. Mental.

Guys saying atleast he looks fast, the killie player Alebiosu dusted him second half, out of all the signings weve made he has the biggest question mark over him for me.
The stoke fullback we were linked with looked more suited to the punt and run league we play in.
Really thought the lundstram colak tillman build was the type we were going after. Worrying on first view.
Freak

I had no idea he was so small until I seen him yesterday. That is cause for concern when you left central defence is lacking in power and ability at the moment. Hopefully he can adapt to the Scottish game. He looks quick although that will suit us more when teams are playing higher up than they do here.

60 minutes? Haha shut up.

You can't seriously think he is 2cm shorter than Tav. Of all the things about modern football to make you laugh, the willingess of some people to not believe their own eyes is right up there.
No idea where these height figures are coming from but you're spot on

He genuinely looks about 5'4. Think even my wee granny would be towering over him

One of those every touch videos of Ridvan yesterday, definitely starts nervously but improves and he's always looking to be positive and move the ball forwards.

I can't believe the amount of people wanting Barisic starting on Tuesday! Have you forgotten how absolutely dreadful he's been in the previous 2 games? He played himself out of the team, Ridvan did nothing much wrong yesterday - Ridvan starts.

One of those every touch videos of Ridvan yesterday, definitely starts nervously but improves and he's always looking to be positive and move the ball forwards.

I can't believe the amount of people wanting Barisic starting on Tuesday! Have you forgotten how absolutely dreadful he's been in the previous 2 games? He played himself out of the team, Ridvan did nothing much wrong yesterday - Ridvan starts.
I would put BB on a rocket to the moon quite happily....he frustrates the life out of me. Mentally at the moment he is in a shell where he will do the basics and will be prone to errors for sure.

Is he a safer bet than Ridvan? The manager will make that decision based on what he thinks is best.

Personally I'd play BB the young lad has time on his side to settle in.

I would put BB on a rocket to the moon quite happily....he frustrates the life out of me. Mentally at the moment he is in a shell where he will do the basics and will be prone to errors for sure.

Is he a safer bet than Ridvan? The manager will make that decision based on what he thinks is best.

Personally I'd play BB the young lad has time on his side to settle in.
You would put Borna on a rocket to the moon but you would play him in a massive game over a £5m signing? This place man.

He isn't very fast or physical which is a bit of a worry considering how our fullbacks play.

His passing is definitely a step up from Borna's. His crossing isn't.

Of all the signings we've made I think Yilmaz worries me the most as the one that seems the most likely to flop, but he will be given time.

He clearly needs time to settle in but looking at him, I understand why some posters have concerns over him

He’s a lot smaller than I expected. I also thought he’d be rapid given his comments about him bringing speed. I didn’t see out of the ordinary speed from him yesterday

We all know the league we play in. It’s physical, many players state so. The hammer throwers will 100% be targeting him with goal kicks the lot for an easy header the way Walter used to deploy McCulloch for the flick on.

Add in his transfer fee and it’s understandable why there are some initial concerns.

That said, he clearly has something about him to be that well liked at Besiktas and to be involved in the national team setup.

He looked like he was holding back a bit yesterday and afraid to take any risks, which is understandable for his first start at Ibrox I suppose. Way too early to really judge him.

Gio wasn't particularly big and tall either in his playing days and captained Netherlands to a World Cup Final at left back.

He looked like he was holding back a bit yesterday and afraid to take any risks, which is understandable for his first start at Ibrox I suppose. Way too early to really judge him.

Gio wasn't particularly big and tall either in his playing days and captained Netherlands to a World Cup Final at left back.
Gio was physically strong and most of all wasn’t afraid to get stuck in. A lot of the time it’s a mental thing.

You only have to look at Borna, 6ft 1in along with a strong build but is weak as piss in the tackle and in the air. It’s down to mentality.

Thought he was pretty poor yesterday. Got bullied off the ball a couple times and made some bad decisions on the ball that could have cost us. Size is also a worry in the league we play in.

Young guy though, who’s only trained a handful of times with the team. He needs games and time.

I’d start Borna Tuesday and give Yilmaz a few more easy fixtures against the cannon fodder to ease him in.

He will only get fitter and better with games. Get him into the first XI so he can built an understanding with our players and we'll see the best of him. Makes no sense to put him back in the stands because he didn't have an amazing debut.

Was listening to a Pod the other day, think it was H&H and they summed it up perfectly.

People expect new signings to fit in as if they were signed on Football Manager. Instant form and fit right in.

What we have to remember is Yilmaz doesn’t speak a word of English, or it’s very limited at best. He’s been with us for a week? Maybe just over that. And is playing in a completely different league than he’s use to.

Also it was plain to see that’s Kilmarnock were targeting him as everything went down his side in what was a new look left side for us with also no Kent.

Let’s maybe let the guy settle and maybe learn the language/ train with his teammates a bit more before we start writing him off

Was listening to a Pod the other day, think it was H&H and they summed it up perfectly.

People expect new signings to fit in as if they were signed on Football Manager. Instant form and fit right in.

What we have to remember is Yilmaz doesn’t speak a word of English, or it’s very limited at best. He’s been with us for a week? Maybe just over that. And is playing in a completely different league than he’s use to.

Also it was plain to see that’s Kilmarnock were targeting him as everything went down his side in what was a new look left side for us with also no Kent.

Let’s maybe let the guy settle and maybe learn the language/ train with his teammates a bit more before we start writing him off
You'll have to leave mate. Far too much sense for this forum.

You would put Borna on a rocket to the moon but you would play him in a massive game over a £5m signing? This place man.
£5million singings are always excellent. Like Konterman and Barkas. Following your logic we play the players who cost the most for each position? Or that just applies to this case?

And btw I am not saying he is like either of those before the "yer writing him aff already!?" Squad set about me, just pointing out that you don't pick player based on their signing fee. He looked incredibly nervous in a home league match but we are to assume he'll be fine in a CL qualifier?

I don't know who will start but it isn't outlandish to suggest it may be Borna, even in the poor form he is.

£5million singings are always excellent. Like Konterman and Barkas. Following your logic we play the players who cost the most for each position? Or that just applies to this case?

And btw I am not saying he is like either of those before the "yer writing him aff already!?" Squad set about me, just pointing out that you don't pick player based on their signing fee. He looked incredibly nervous in a home league match but we are to assume he'll be fine in a CL qualifier?

I don't know who will start but it isn't outlandish to suggest it may be Borna, even in the poor form he is.
For me you play your biggest signings in your biggest games or is that ridiculous to think?

Also to say he was incredibly nervous is a bit of a jump.

For me you play your biggest signings in your biggest games or is that ridiculous to think?

Also to say he was incredibly nervous is a bit of a jump.
Only if they are ready to play in the big games and clearly Yilmaz isn't as it stands. He needs time.

So the fact we paid £5M gets him his place? Will Davies start?

That's like something a teenager would come up with....
Big signings play in big games (if fit) what’s hard to understand?

No idea what your slabbering about with the teenager comment.

Big signings play in big games (if fit) what’s hard to understand?

No idea what your slabbering about with the teenager comment.
Tbh although Borna hasn’t been great of late, if I was to pick from him or Yilmaz on Tuesday I’d be picking Borna.

Yilmaz didn’t show anywhere near enough to merit being thrown into a game like Tuesday.

That’s not me saying Borna has been good either.

I think Gio will play Borna

Tbh although Borna hasn’t been great of late, if I was to pick from him or Yilmaz on Tuesday I’d be picking Borna.

Yilmaz didn’t show anywhere near enough to merit being thrown into a game like Tuesday.

Fair doos,I think yilmaz starts.

We’ll find out Tuesday.

I had no idea he was so small until I seen him yesterday. That is cause for concern when you left central defence is lacking in power and ability at the moment. Hopefully he can adapt to the Scottish game. He looks quick although that will suit us more when teams are playing higher up than they do here.

Being taller is not a requisite for full backs - particulalry today's overlapping full backs. Just out of interest, roberto carlos was very small, around 5'5" - ashley cole wasn't much bigger either.

It wasn't exactly an Ashley Cole esque debut, but that wasn't to be expected. I've seen enough of Yilmaz to believe he'll be a real player.

As for Tuesday, the one thing I've seen from Yilmaz that would have me pick him over Borna is his instinct to pass it forward. Borna is criminally bad for being overly conservative in possession. We need urgency and forward passes from the off tomorrow - and Borna stifles that aspect of our play.

He isn't very fast or physical which is a bit of a worry considering how our fullbacks play.

His passing is definitely a step up from Borna's. His crossing isn't.

Of all the signings we've made I think Yilmaz worries me the most as the one that seems the most likely to flop, but he will be given time.

Interesting view.

Of our signings to date, my bet on the one to be deemed most underwhelming come the end of the season would be Matondo. I think we'll see flashes from him - but I just don't see the environment we play in I.e. packed defences being conducive to his style of play. The odd game at Easter Road or Tynecastle I think you'll see him affect the game, but on the whole I think he'll be frustrating.

Nervous debut but with the language barrier, age, speed of the match it was no real surprise. He will be fine once he settles in he linked well a few times which will increase as he gets to know his team mates.
Looking forward to seeing how he is in a few weeks.

I'd go for Yilmaz, but I think you're correct in that Gio will pick Borna.

Back