How was Yilmaz?

We’ve signed some very talented young player, how quickly they can settle and start producing the goods will have a major influence on where this seasons title goes.

Ridvan will take a bit of time because he doesn’t speak the language and will need to adapt physically to the game here.

Interesting to see if we start him on Tuesday

It wasn't exactly an Ashley Cole esque debut, but that wasn't to be expected. I've seen enough of Yilmaz to believe he'll be a real player.

As for Tuesday, the one thing I've seen from Yilmaz that would have me pick him over Borna is his instinct to pass it forward. Borna is criminally bad for being overly conservative in possession. We need urgency and forward passes from the off tomorrow - and Borna stifles that aspect of our play.
I’d say we also need good delivery into the box tomorrow and I don’t think Yilmaz put in a decent cross on Saturday there. Whereas Borna can fire a decent cross into the box.

Big signings play in big games (if fit) what’s hard to understand?

No idea what your slabbering about with the teenager comment.
It’s not true is it? Every club in the world has big signings who have flopped or new big signings who don’t come straight into the team for a variety of reasons.
Suggesting the lad should start just because he cost £5M -if indeed he cost that sounds a pretty basic fanboy stance to me

I’d say we also need good delivery into the box tomorrow and I don’t think Yilmaz put in a decent cross on Saturday there. Whereas Borna can fire a decent cross into the box.
He put in one decent cross which Colak was slow to read.

But i do agree his crosses could have been better, hit the first man 3 or 4 times.

We need older seasoned heads like Borna and Davies, mixed with the likes of Tillman and Matondo, Alfie on early second half. We will do this tomorrow night, quietly confident.

Bob standard debut, played it safe, barely been in the door.

Wasn’t any worse than Tav today who I thought looked top heavy and towing a caravan tbh.

My exact words as we left the stadium.

Yes he scored a great free kick v Livi but really struggled to get up and down the park on Saturday and was like a burst ball less than an hour in in Belgium.

Has had a poor a start as anyone to the season, don’t think his bulking up had helped.

It’s not true is it? Every club in the world has big signings who have flopped or new big signings who don’t come straight into the team for a variety of reasons.
Suggesting the lad should start just because he cost £5M -if indeed he cost that sounds a pretty basic fanboy stance to me
But he’s not flopped so why wouldn’t he play haha & the fee is common knowledge it was confirmed by his club.

He's a signficant outlay for us though. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that given the spend, there will be an expectation from the management team that he can slot into the LWB spot and take the starting spot ASAP. It's been a problem position so i don't see what good it does sticking Yilmaz on the bench. He needs games to reach peak fitness and build up an understanding with his new team mates.

He's a signficant outlay for us though. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that given the spend, there will be an expectation from the management team that he can slot into the LWB spot and take the starting spot ASAP. It's been a problem position so i don't see what good it does sticking Yilmaz on the bench. He needs games to reach peak fitness and build up an understanding with his new team mates.
I’d argue we did something similar last week with a front 3 that were all new and it didn’t work. A more stable line up would possibly have made tomorrow night a lot simpler.

You also take a gamble on a young player being damaged if it goes wrong.

I’d argue we did something similar last week with a front 3 that were all new and it didn’t work. A more stable line up would possibly have made tomorrow night a lot simpler.

You also take a gamble on a young player being damaged if it goes wrong.
I think a lot of our problems were down to the selections at the back and in midfield. Lundstram in a back 3 with Jack and Kamara in midfield was just too over cautious against that level of opposition and we couldn't get any meaningful service to the front 3.

Regardless of who plays LWB tomorrow lets hope we do enough to turn it round.

But he’s not flopped so why wouldn’t he play haha & the fee is common knowledge it was confirmed by his club.
Because he might need time to settle on a variety of levels. You could argue it’s an European tie but they will have watched him on Saturday and saw he struggled possibly due to nerves .
It’s Gio’s call personally I think he will go with Barasic and. I would think that’s the right call

I think a lot of our problems were down to the selections at the back and in midfield. Lundstram in a back 3 with Jack and Kamara in midfield was just too over cautious against that level of opposition and we couldn't get any meaningful service to the front 3.

Regardless of who plays LWB tomorrow lets hope we do enough to turn it round.
The tie is winnable but they either need to be quite fragile or we need to go up a level or two

This thread takes the biscuit for mental threads a=writing players off to easily.

First start in a team who currently dont seem to have much cohesion or identity in our play, he has probably never experienced an opposition that sits so deep, he will get used to this, he will learn what runs to make (outisde or in) he will learn when to create overloads and he will learn when to let Kent (who wsnt playing which also will beneift him) do his thing.

We get it, he's wee. Doesnt mean anything if he is a good player, he isn/t in the team to win the long balls, leave that for the cbs.

He didn't have a good game, but nobody did really.

He came in the door just over a week ago.

I had no idea he was so small until I seen him yesterday. That is cause for concern when you left central defence is lacking in power and ability at the moment. Hopefully he can adapt to the Scottish game. He looks quick although that will suit us more when teams are playing higher up than they do here.
Why are posters concerned about Yilmaz size!
The game is littered with players who play a similar role to Ridvan
Even yesterday I watched Man Utd v Brighton and Man Utd have brought in Lazzaro Martinez at centre back who is smaller
Tariq Lamptey returning from injury came on and is really small
Fullbacks are more relevant in an attacking sense than defensively and particularly at Rangers where in 90% of the games we’ll have the vast majority of the ball and onus is to create
That’s not to ignore defence but put it in perspective

One of those every touch videos of Ridvan yesterday, definitely starts nervously but improves and he's always looking to be positive and move the ball forwards.

I can't believe the amount of people wanting Barisic starting on Tuesday! Have you forgotten how absolutely dreadful he's been in the previous 2 games? He played himself out of the team, Ridvan did nothing much wrong yesterday - Ridvan starts.

I couldn't make the game on Saturday so only seen limited highlights. To read some comments on here, you'd think it was a horror debut.

But watching that video, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this for a young lad playing his first game in a new team and country. A few negatives - obvio7s nerves, a miscontrolled pass, a couple of times he lost out on challenges. But on the whole, he looks tidy in possession (loads of forward passing and attempted give and go's), decent positioning, confident to get forward and 7 attempted crosses (one of which should have got us a penalty).

Patience bears. Let the lad settle. He cost that money for a reason and total confidence that the boy will be an absolute star for us once he's fully settled.

Yilmaz needs time to get up to the demands and pace of playing for Rangers.
Plenty of small full backs who have been great players. Sansom, Alba, lahm.

Why are posters concerned about Yilmaz size!
The game is littered with players who play a similar role to Ridvan
Even yesterday I watched Man Utd v Brighton and Man Utd have brought in Lazzaro Martinez at centre back who is smaller
Tariq Lamptey returning from injury came on and is really small
Fullbacks are more relevant in an attacking sense than defensively and particularly at Rangers where in 90% of the games we’ll have the vast majority of the ball and onus is to create
That’s not to ignore defence but put it in perspective
I think that’s a bit different in that in Scotland (because of the difference in quality) our opponents main tactic at times is to lump the ball into our box at any opportunity. We even seen the difference last season with McGregor’s performance in Scotland (exposed us not coming for cross balls) compared to not being exposed to that so much in Europe.

My immediate concern when I looked at Yilmaz was that he will be exposed in that way at set-pieces etc. If he is then like the opposition last season with McGregor, every Scottish team will be lumping balls right into his area. We have even seen teams targeting Barisic as he was seen as the weakest physical link at times. My guess is that trying to expose Yilmaz in terms of his height at set-pieces is exactly what the opposition will do. It might be a possibility that a non-issue in European terms might be a big problem playing for Rangers in the Scottish league.

I think that’s a bit different in that in Scotland (because of the difference in quality) our opponents main tactic at times is to lump the ball into our box at any opportunity. We even seen the difference last season with McGregor’s performance in Scotland (exposed us not coming for cross balls) compared to not being exposed to that so much in Europe.

My immediate concern when I looked at Yilmaz was that he will be exposed in that way at set-pieces etc. If he is then like the opposition last season with McGregor, every Scottish team will be lumping balls right into his area. We have even seen teams targeting Barisic as he was seen as the weakest physical link at times. My guess is that trying to expose Yilmaz in terms of his height at set-pieces is exactly what the opposition will do. It might be a possibility that a non-issue in European terms might be a big problem playing for Rangers in the Scottish league.
I take the opposite view as it’s less likely to be a problem in Scotland as opposed to England due to us having so much possession
This means that yes Scottish teams will tend to lump the ball in our box more often but in effect less frequently than in England due to us having so much possession so the opportunity for them to do so is extremely limited
Interesting how perceptions can be different which is fine

I take the opposite view as it’s less likely to be a problem in Scotland as opposed to England due to us having so much possession
This means that yes Scottish teams will tend to lump the ball in our box more often but in effect less frequently than in England due to us having so much possession so the opportunity for them to do so is extremely limited
The reality is most of the big games we’ve been mugged in from the Hibs final onwards has been at set pieces -we absolutely did not have this lad defending on Sat the way even BB does he played in an area in front of the defence.
I have no idea how it will pan out but I do wonder how many not worrying about his physical attributes saw him in the flesh?

Interesting take - but If that theory was the case then how come McGregor was criticised heavily for not dealing with crosses last season? - it was an obvious weakness that the opposition in Scotland exploited and people were wanting him dropped. That for a guy with a lot of previous credit in the bank. It will only take a few failures in that respect before this lad gets criticised. If it becomes noticeable he has an obvious weakness that the opposition target, our fans will see it clearly also.

However let’s see if he has any problems first - my concern was along the lines of at first sight alarm bells were ringing in my mind - thinking you really need to have some aerial ability/physicality to play for us and be a success at full back. If he proves that concern is nonsense he will certainly be the smallest/slightest successful one that I have seen in our colours in 35 years of watching. Gattuso was small and played well for a bit as a full-back however he was a bit of a madman and as hard as nails.

The best left backs in the world have been small, it’s irrelevant really if his positioning and aggression to close down is good enough, and he can go forward which he did well at Besiktas.

Only in Scotland would this be a problem.

If Barisic starts at left back we will concede. He’s a liability, he’s not good going forward anymore, he’s even worse defensively and he’s even more conservative than he was before

If Barisic starts at left back we will concede. He’s a liability, he’s not good going forward anymore, he’s even worse defensively and he’s even more conservative than he was before
And, based on Saturdays showing, you think Yilmaz a better option? Yilmaz is still settling in and, for me, has work to do on his fitness. The ball was played in behind their left back at one point in the second half on Saturday. It was a 50/50 in a race between Yilmaz and the full-back and he pulled out of it. He didn't pull up but it was clear he didn't want to go full speed for fear of a hamstring injury. He was subbed off shortly afterwards.

And, based on Saturdays showing, you think Yilmaz a better option? Yilmaz is still settling in and, for me, has work to do on his fitness. The ball was played in behind their left back at one point in the second half on Saturday. It was a 50/50 in a race between Yilmaz and the full-back and he pulled out of it. He didn't pull up but it was clear he didn't want to go full speed for fear of a hamstring injury. He was subbed off shortly afterwards.
Yes, right now borna Barisic has no positive aspect to his game. His final ball has been poor all season, he can’t run with the ball, he only passes backwards. He’s even worse defensively now than he was before and he wasn’t a good defender. Yilmaz at least showed that he can carry the ball and is a good passer of the ball. And the more he plays the more match fit he’ll get, the quicker he’s up to speed the better given that Barisic is such a negative player.

Interesting take - but If that theory was the case then how come McGregor was criticised heavily for not dealing with crosses last season? - it was an obvious weakness that the opposition in Scotland exploited and people were wanting him dropped. That for a guy with a lot of previous credit in the bank. It will only take a few failures in that respect before this lad gets criticised. If it becomes noticeable he has an obvious weakness that the opposition target, our fans will see it clearly also.

However let’s see if he has any problems first - my concern was along the lines of at first sight alarm bells were ringing in my mind - thinking you really need to have some aerial ability/physicality to play for us and be a success at full back. If he proves that concern is nonsense he will certainly be the smallest/slightest successful one that I have seen in our colours in 35 years of watching. Gattuso was small and played well for a bit as a full-back however he was a bit of a madman and as hard as nails.
Not convinced about the McGregor analogy
McGregor has been a top goalkeeper for many years and suddenly in 1 year he’s the scapegoat for not coming for crosses

In all the other years did he come for crosses and not an issue then ??
For many years Rangers keepers have not been the type to come for crosses
The late great Andy Gorham was not known for coming out to take crosses and neither was Stefan Klos
The issue with Allan McGregor is Father Time is catching up with him full stop in all aspects of his game
I have no idea how Yilmaz will turn out as a fullback but I doubt if he fails that size would prove to be the key issue
As an example take another great Sandy Jardine again not a physical specimen and sure if I thought about it could list other examples
The fullback position has evolved and more like wingers these days

Not convinced about the McGregor analogy
McGregor has been a top goalkeeper for many years and suddenly in 1 year he’s the scapegoat for not coming for crosses

In all the other years did he come for crosses and not an issue then ??
For many years Rangers keepers have not been the type to come for crosses
The late great Andy Gorham was not known for coming out to take crosses and neither was Stefan Klos
The issue with Allan McGregor is Father Time is catching up with him full stop in all aspects of his game
I have no idea how Yilmaz will turn out as a fullback but I doubt if he fails that size would prove to be the key issue
As an example take another great Sandy Jardine again not a physical specimen and sure if I thought about it could list other examples
The fullback position has evolved and more like wingers these days
McGregor stopped coming for just about any cross last season - that was the difference. It doesn’t really matter when it happened or why, but it was a weakness last season that was highlighted by our fans. Some would argue that weakness cost us the league. Set-pieces certainly did!

If our new full-back has an exploitable weakness in that respect that also will be highlighted. Even more so as he hasn’t got the credit in the bank that McGregor has. However we will need to see if it really is a weakness - as all it‘s based on is the fact that he doesn’t initially look like a guy to win an aerial battle. I’m hoping that it’s not an issue - I just have my doubts based on the requirements of our full-backs in Scotland - especially if it’s a back four.

He’s also physically weaker than borna and that’s saying something. We’ll get even more ripped apart if we play yilmaz than borna in the first game .

Borna has barely played a decent ball in all season, he’s regressed further from his already poor form last season.

Looked nervous and a little lightweight at times but looks a good player.
Give him 6 months on the Ibrox steroids and time to bed in and I think he’ll be great for us.
I think that's it. This will take time. We have paid quite a lot and most folk were expecting him to hit the ground running. He's a lot to prove and clearly needs to bulk up. His lack of pace in a couple of instances was a surprise but we've seen clips of him with besiktas where he has plenty.

Might require a couple of months and a bit of patience. He's def got technical ability.

McGregor stopped coming for just about any cross last season - that was the difference. It doesn’t really matter when it happened or why, but it was a weakness last season that was highlighted by our fans. Some would argue that weakness cost us the league. Set-pieces certainly did!

If our new full-back has an exploitable weakness in that respect that also will be highlighted. Even more so as he hasn’t got the credit in the bank that McGregor has. However we will need to see if it really is a weakness - as all it‘s based on is the fact that he doesn’t initially look like a guy to win an aerial battle. I’m hoping that it’s not an issue - I just have my doubts based on the requirements of our full-backs in Scotland - especially if it’s a back four.
Basically my point is McGregor last season and in previous seasons never was one to come out for crosses similar to Gorham and Klos!
Your argument about the physical aspect is similar to the argument that has been trotted by others about Tav that he’s unable to defend
Yup on occasion might be an issue but the benefits of his attacking play far outweighs that limitation
I hope Ridvan turns out to be just as good as Tavs numbers with goals and assists and would gladly accept physical limitations

Yes, right now borna Barisic has no positive aspect to his game. His final ball has been poor all season, he can’t run with the ball, he only passes backwards. He’s even worse defensively now than he was before and he wasn’t a good defender. Yilmaz at least showed that he can carry the ball and is a good passer of the ball. And the more he plays the more match fit he’ll get, the quicker he’s up to speed the better given that Barisic is such a negative player.
Yup I accept that Borna has definitely regressed as his confidence is fragile not helped by the fact he lost his place to a rapidly developing Bassey
As an experienced Croatian International must have been a sore one
But how anyone can even debate on Saturdays showing that Yilmaz did better than Borna has a tainted view and not based on what was shown regrettably
Actually playing Yilmaz tomorrow could actually set back his career with his inexperience and nervousness if the game doesn’t go how we would like
Not playing him would be doing him a favour by not subjective him in a game of this importance at this stage of his career
Just now Borna is the best option

Good grief, what in God's name is this ALL SEASON pish. We've played 3 competitive games of which Barisic has started 2. As referenced by other's, Yilmaz pulling out of a sprint 60 minutes in is surely a concern, and it may be the case that he will need eased in.

You can't seriously think he is 2cm shorter than Tav. Of all the things about modern football to make you laugh, the willingess of some people to not believe their own eyes is right up there.
also the exact height as Phil Lahm who didnt havea bad career

Yilmaz is a small guy, and I don’t think he’ll be suited to defending in Scotland where guys like Martindale, McIness and Ross will just lob long diagonals towards him whilst playing 6ft 5 guys at right wing.

Hopefully he makes a niche for himself offensively but I was genuinely shocked at how small he was on Saturday.

Turkish football is tough though so hopefully he’s got the physical side covered

Basically my point is McGregor last season and in previous seasons never was one to come out for crosses similar to Gorham and Klos!
Your argument about the physical aspect is similar to the argument that has been trotted by others about Tav that he’s unable to defend
Yup on occasion might be an issue but the benefits of his attacking play far outweighs that limitation
I hope Ridvan turns out to be just as good as Tavs numbers with goals and assists and would gladly accept physical limitations
We shall see soon enough.

I think it will be Borna tomorrow. Experience is vital. Yilmaz is built like a wee boy, pretty much a project player and one who will ultimately thrive on confidence once he settles. The language barrier isn't a great thing to be dealing with either but you could argue it wasn't an issue with Alfredo on the pitch. I reckon it could be next season before we see the best of him

I think it will be Borna tomorrow. Experience is vital. Yilmaz is built like a wee boy, pretty much a project player and one who will ultimately thrive on confidence once he settles. The language barrier isn't a great thing to be dealing with either but you could argue it wasn't an issue with Alfredo on the pitch. I reckon it could be next season before we see the best of him

@ 5 million in Scotland?

He isn't very fast or physical which is a bit of a worry considering how our fullbacks play.

His passing is definitely a step up from Borna's. His crossing isn't.

Of all the signings we've made I think Yilmaz worries me the most as the one that seems the most likely to flop, but he will be given time.
Holy shit :D

This thread might be the most mental thread we've seen this summer, that's quite a feat as the Rumours and Transfers thread was utter fucking 'chucking shite at the walls' levels of lunacy at times.

A lot of reductive and pre-emptive points being made. Based on one game of football from a guy who only arrived in Scotland two weeks ago. Who by all accounts, didn't even have a bad game. Can't help but feel that some posters on here just relish in being pessimistic and thoroughly miserable bastards just for the sake of it. See if he'd played 10 games already and was still churning out that level of performance, I'd completely understand the need for sceptisim, but he's only been in the door a fortnight.

Pre-emptive message to the 'it's ma opinion' crew, I don't care. You simply can't have possibly formed a full bodied opinion on a player based on a mere 90 minutes of football played so far. It's mental and you're an arsehole for even attempting to do so.

We shall see soon enough.
I agree time will tell how Ridvan is judged
Given how much criticism Tav still attracts for defensive failures ignoring all the positive aspects to his game which far outweighs defensive frailties true or imagined

Had a final thought about McGregor and why there was a perception he had deteriorated which he did imo
I think it’s to do with modern keepers being thought of as sweeper keepers rather than simply shot stoppers
I’m sure one of the first to adopt that was Pep who as soon as he was with Man City bagged Joe Hart who at the time was a multi capped England International
Anyway McGregor’s chief failing was he is the opposite of a sweeper keeper and on countless occasions last season when the ball was knocked over the top he would not come off his line to assist back tracking defenders
I vividly remember the game at Ibrox against that mob when the ball was wellied by their defender 60 yds aimlessly up the park to near the corner flag.McGregor refused to come off his line to assist and it ended up Bassey running back from the halfway line pursued by one of their in a race
This was symptomatic of McGregor last year and chief reason for drop off

Just my passing thoughts

This is not a normal set of circumstances. This tie is almost unique in that should be treated as a one-off, win-at-all-costs game - I'd say keep Ylimaz as far away from it as possible and get Borna in there.

This has no bearing on how I think Yilmaz will develop as a Rangers player, just that this game is a cnt.

Back