How will our club handle lack of finances

Yankeeger

Seeing likes of Bayern and Dortmund asking players to take pay cuts how will our own club deal with lack of finances
It’s a precarious position all clubs are finding themselves in with drastic measures surly just around corner

I think most of our cash is up front from season tickets and will come from uefa tv/prize money.

I'm not sure how much we make on match days. Other than tickets. I'm sure any food, merch from the super store doesnt go to us.

Dont think we'll miss the ticket sales from 342 fans in the away end.

Happy to be corrected.

If our club need the money then I'd rather we had transparency like other clubs across Europe have done. This is not the time to keep quiet and act like everything is nice and rosy. If that means our players should be asked to take a pay cut or deffer their wages, then so be it. If that means that our club ask for next seasons Season Ticket money, then so be it.

I would hope that the club is not keeping quiet purely to stop any negative press (because I'm sure that would quickly follow). Let the press have their columns and let the blogs speculate that we'll be going into administration or whatever. Do what is right for our club. Now is not the time to act like the big man.

The sale of season tickets would generate some income. I did see a report today though that the Dhims have gone down that route but, after an initial flurry, sales have dropped off a cliff due to folks uncertainty about money coming in over the next few months. You wouldn't think that would be the case for them, their dole money is surely as 'guaranteed' as it gets.

Give people the option to buy next season’s season ticket on a credit card without a handling fee.

No deadline (as yet) as not everybody will be in a position to weigh in at this difficult time.

they already do that don’t they? I’m sure I paid for mine on my credit card without a fee.

I am a season ticket holder but I would not commit to buying my season ticket until the players took some sort of wage cut.

We are all in this together.
Agree to an extent but i’m fortunate enough that I can help the club if they ask. It’ll need to be a multi pronged approach- fans, players and shareholders. If we all do our bit promptly then by example everyone will follow, follow and do their bit.

Seeing likes of Bayern and Dortmund asking players to take pay cuts how will our own club deal with lack of finances
It’s a precarious position all clubs are finding themselves in with drastic measures surly just around corner
I think after the way the player’s have let us down with that horrific start after the break they could offer to not take a wage and help pay the staff. Not as if they are gonna miss a wage for a few months.

I’m not suggesting it should happen but could the club enforce the capped 80% government pay fund to players?

I go the T O and pay mine cash, but I’m certain that there’s a handling fee levied on the sale of every s/t not bought in cash.

Looks like it’s only if you choose to pay over the phone or over 4 months.

I think we will all have to dig deep again, this time though we are ready for it and know the score. Some clubs don't know the script and haven't been through what we have, so could make mistakes too.

Looks like it’s only if you choose to pay over the phone or over 4 months.

I’m pretty sure that if you pay by credit card there’s a handling fee wig.

Re my previous post it should’ve said cash / debit card.

cheers

I would fully expect the club to ask all shareholders and fans to dig deep along with the players sharing some of the pain. Possible early sale of season tickets but as nobody knows when next season will actually start and what it will look like, I suspect the main part of any shortfall will be from the usual sources

Whilst revenue is zero, some costs will reduce - the policing of games and win bonuses are down.

The impact on our club is dependant on the length of time without football - simple as that.

As that is unknown then so is the impact.

I’m not suggesting it should happen but could the club enforce the capped 80% government pay fund to players?
The Government is giving companies 80% of the wages so they can keep their workforce. It is up to the companies if they want/afford to give the other 20%

The issue is going to come in the summer for us. Thats when a lack of cashflow could really hurt us. Could well be a situation where European qualifiers are delayed. That's a significant chunk of our ticket sales and broadcasting income.

We were no doubt counting on selling a few players too, specifically Morelos for a big fee. That's up in the air as wrll right now. Over and above that we are going to see a generational recession and some ST holders just might not be able to afford to renew, corporate business will take a hit, etc etc.

The issue is going to come in the summer for us. Thats when a lack of cashflow could really hurt us. Could well be a situation where European qualifiers are delayed. That's a significant chunk of our ticket sales and broadcasting income.

We were no doubt counting on selling a few players too, specifically Morelos for a big fee. That's up in the air as wrll right now. Over and above that we are going to see a generational recession and some ST holders just might not be able to afford to renew, corporate business will take a hit, etc etc.
I think a lot of ST holders and Hospitality will be suffering

Can’t imagine Rangers would have made a huge amount from the last 3-4 home league games given most of the attendance would have been season tickets anyway.

Like all clubs if we can’t start selling Season tickets and Uefa don’t want to live in reality by May/June time and no European prize money is handed out by then it’s likely we’ll be effected by this in terms of wage cuts etc.

We certainly won’t be making any signings I don’t think till we have 100% confirmation the league will go ahead next season. Talk of the window being extended till January which would make sense.

Talk of share issues, advance season ticket is utter fantasy.

Unemployment is skyrocketing, people are worried about ensuring they have a roof over their head and food on the table. You'll get very little appetite for advance payment of tickets. Football simply doesn't matter to most people at a time like this.

We'll cut our cloth accordingly like everyone else has to. We're all in the same boat. Players will take a wage cut, some will probably be made redundant. Everything will come to a standstill for the foreseeable future. If this goes on longer than 6 months, clubs will stop paying players entirely and it will be madness. At which time we'll probably see closed door games just to keep the lights on in football generally.

Crazy times but as worrying as it is for us, there are many clubs worse off.

I think we will all have to dig deep again, this time though we are ready for it and know the score. Some clubs don't know the script and haven't been through what we have, so could make mistakes too.
I think this is an important point, We will have to dig deep but hopefully we are now in a position where the club can tell us exactly the amount we need and can explain it, and I think we will rise to the challenge. In the dark days while we were desperate to help nobody knew where the money was going which ultimately must have stopped people contributing.

Although there will still be an expected shortfall, getting the game v Leverkusen 2 weeks ago played with a crowd was absolutely massive to us financially - we had the bonus of banking a few million in ticket sales that otherwise would’ve been a bigger black hole to cover.

Talk of share issues, advance season ticket is utter fantasy.

Unemployment is skyrocketing, people are worried about ensuring they have a roof over their head and food on the table. You'll get very little appetite for advance payment of tickets. Football simply doesn't matter to most people at a time like this.

We'll cut our cloth accordingly like everyone else has to. We're all in the same boat. Players will take a wage cut, some will probably be made redundant. Everything will come to a standstill for the foreseeable future. If this goes on longer than 6 months, clubs will stop paying players entirely and it will be madness. At which time we'll probably see closed door games just to keep the lights on in football generally.

Crazy times but as worrying as it is for us, there are many clubs worse off.

Tucked away in an article about the Dhims in the Record today:

In order to keep income ticking over season tickets for 2020/21 were recently put on early sale but it’s understood, after a strong start, the numbers have been drying up as the current Covid-19 crisis deepens.

Last edited:
Players and manager should be giving up a % of their wages.

Their sat at home doing nothing earning £10K+ a week.

Every other person in just about every other industry is struggling just now.. footballers should be no different if the club begins to struggle.

I'll be pissed off if the club come to us the fans again before they look st the playing/ managerial staff.

At which time we'll probably see closed door games just to keep the lights on in football generally.

Why are certain posters persisting in this fallacy?

Why do you think that would generate income?

Why are you ignoring what the PFA statement addresses?

Why persist? Given the volume of these posts, I worry what the answer might be.

Why are certain posters persisting in this fallacy?

Why do you think that would generate income?

Why are you ignoring what the PFA statement addresses?

Why persist? Given the volume of these posts, I worry what the answer might be.

Completing the season generates income for teams because the tv money and the prize pool that is currently sitting in limbo gets released.

The PFA only has so much power. If the league decides to press ahead and the clubs request that their players play games there isn't much anyone can do to stop it happening.

The only way this season gets concluded is behind closed doors imo.

If our club need the money then I'd rather we had transparency like other clubs across Europe have done. This is not the time to keep quiet and act like everything is nice and rosy. If that means our players should be asked to take a pay cut or deffer their wages, then so be it. If that means that our club ask for next seasons Season Ticket money, then so be it.

I would hope that the club is not keeping quiet purely to stop any negative press (because I'm sure that would quickly follow). Let the press have their columns and let the blogs speculate that we'll be going into administration or whatever. Do what is right for our club. Now is not the time to act like the big man.
I tried to post this on an earlier thread that was deleted.
We don’t know if these discussions have taken place.
It’s possible that we don’t want to go public with this at the minute because of the obvious fallout there’d be from this.
The press, to my mind, would have a field day if Rangers announced this, more so, if we’re amongst the first to do so.
The references to 2012 will be plentiful.
Regardless of the unique situation, we’ll be accused of financial mismanagement.
King and the board will be slaughtered.
King will be challenged on his £30m spend claim and his “spending the children’s inheritance” comment.
My thoughts here might be pie in the sky but, I’m not going to slate the board or the club until I know they’ve done something wrong.
This “transparency” word has become a noose.

I tried to post this on an earlier thread that was deleted.
We don’t know if these discussions have taken place.
It’s possible that we don’t want to go public with this at the minute because of the obvious fallout there’d be from this.
The press, to my mind, would have a field day if Rangers announced this, more so, if we’re amongst the first to do so.
The references to 2012 will be plentiful.
Regardless of the unique situation, we’ll be accused of financial mismanagement.
King and the board will be slaughtered.
King will be challenged on his £30m spend claim and his “spending the children’s inheritance” comment.
My thoughts here might be pie in the sky but, I’m not going to slate the board or the club until I know they’ve done something wrong.
This “transparency” word has become a noose.
Sorry @tazzabear not sure if you meant that you tried to post what I posted on a previous thread, or if you disagree my choice of the word "transparency".

Regardless, I do agree with you. Maybe we don't need the transparency stating that the players are taking a wage cut (for example). As long as the club are taking the necessary steps behind the scenes to ensure that we are financially stable during this difficult time then I can't complain.

All of the examples you give are exactly what I meant when I said that people will write their columns/blogs about our situation. But if the club do need our help then I'd like to think they'd tell us instead of keeping quiet. And that's all I meant: as long as we're not keeping quiet out of fear.

Glad we agree, basically, transparency doesn’t mean exposing ourselves to the footballing world, and beyond.
I’d be very surprised if the club were in any real financial trouble but, I’d expect, demand, they give us as much notice as possible to give the help we’d need.

Will there actually be a shortfall at the moment though? The club wouldn't have expected to receive much in the way of ticket sales for March-May and we don't have policing/matchday costs to pay.
Assuming we have clarity by mid May then I don't really see the issue. We also have Europa league money which wouldn't have been budgeted for.

I think this is an important point, We will have to dig deep but hopefully we are now in a position where the club can tell us exactly the amount we need and can explain it, and I think we will rise to the challenge. In the dark days while we were desperate to help nobody knew where the money was going which ultimately must have stopped people contributing.

Yet here we are in a current predicament of people losing jobs, having no money coming in nowhere near the scale of 2012. Yet we will 'know the score' and folk will chuck money in.

Not sure whether to laugh at the simple nature of your comment, tbh.

To Everyone saying sell season tickets , how can they sell tickets for a new season that nobody knows if and when it starts ? If the old season is actually finished , and if we will have a full league to play against by the time this is all over.

Yet here we are in a current predicament of people losing jobs, having no money coming in nowhere near the scale of 2012. Yet we will 'know the score' and folk will chuck money in.

Not sure whether to laugh at the simple nature of your comment, tbh.
I didn't say folk would 'chuck' money in. What I said was that this time we would have a clearer picture of how much the club needed and also trust where it would go.
The nature of the comment may be simple because it was meant to be. The club may need x amount and I believe the support will do what they can to help. Because of the current crisis some may be able to and some won't.
Horrible though this whole episode is, and might be, it shouldn't mean we can't discuss the club's finances.

Completing the season generates income for teams because the tv money and the prize pool that is currently sitting in limbo gets released.

The PFA only has so much power. If the league decides to press ahead and the clubs request that their players play games there isn't much anyone can do to stop it happening.

The only way this season gets concluded is behind closed doors imo.
The sponsors can't really refuse to pay for matches which they have already televised, or benefited from. If this money is in "limbo" it is accessible.
You think that if the clubs ask for players to take part in BCD, they can force the players to rissk their health/life?
I've said elsewhere that playing behind closed doors is the same as Tescos being open for business, but having the tills closed. Won't happen. Can you think of any company in the world operating for free?
If the SFA/SPFL force such a decision on the clubs, then they would need to compsate the clubs for loss of income.
If football is not safe for fans, it is not safe for players.
If one player were to become ill playing BCD, then the SFA/SPPFL would be sued out of existence.
Despite the made up nonsense you have posted, it cannot be ruled out in Scottish football, unfortunately what the Mhankies want, they usually get. I think this would please you.

We have no idea of when the new season will start and how many games there would be. Scottish football is clueless and goodness knows what 'solution' they'll find for 2019-2020 season.

It would be unreasonable for the Club to ask the support to pay for season tickets.

Back