How will penalties work next season?

Although it’s in its infancy, last nights shambles proved its to inconclusive for me.
There were 5/6 people in a room taking a lifetime to decide, then it was the Ref who initially didn’t give the penalty who then changed her mind.

Can’t see a benifit, what next no referees !

It improves the chances of a decision being made correctly.

Chemotherapy doesn't always destroy all cancer in every single person. What's the point of it?

Hardly the same thing and a tad offensive mate.

As for VAR I don't know anyone who likes what it has become...it was to be used sparingly and for 'obvious errors' and now it's stopping EVERY game for long spells to look at issues invisible to the naked eye.

They should have a 1 yard box around the goals and provided the keeper is in that when the ball is struck it's fine.

Why oh why do the so called powers to be have to keep dicking about with the rules??
There was feck all wrong with it in the first place.
Let Rugby Cricket Tennis etc etc etc piss about to amuse themselves. Not Football.
It ain't called the Beautiful game for nothing. :mad:

Chemotherapy doesn't always destroy all cancer in every single person. What's the point of it?

Jeez, what a mindless analogy.

One of the general issues with VAR is that it doesn't exist at every ground and in every game. Rules are now dividing the sport. That shouldn't be the case.

VAR is not suitable for football. Get it very far to %^*&.

Also the rule for goalies now is a joke. It's essentially just a free hit at goal now.

However we cannot leave it to refs discretion up here as we will be harshly dealt with regarding the ruling compared to other teams, or Celtic should thst say.

It's a lottery without VAR and a license for cheating with Scottish ref's.

why will it change with VAR? take the cup final, the poet dives for the penalty which the CO could easily have cited him for, but zilch. That wont change with VAR, it will still be mentally challengeds making it up as they go along.

Is it a yellow if they move? Did she move the second time?

I know it was scored but if they can get booked for moving and saving it, can they get booked if they move and don’t save it?
By the letter of the law they should.

why will it change with VAR? take the cup final, the poet dives for the penalty which the CO could easily have cited him for, but zilch. That wont change with VAR, it will still be mentally challengeds making it up as they go along.
Bang on the same corrupt c#nts would be in charge of VAR.

Its going to be a massive issue for our refs. Whilst I know they are hopeless, they will probably pull over the assistant ref to watch the line and determine whether the keeper has moved at all.

As i said last night, basically every penalty will now be a goal as even if the keeper saves it, the pressure will be on the ref to award a re-take.

Th
They should have a 1 yard box around the goals and provided the keeper is in that when the ball is struck it's fine.

They would just stand at the edge of that and try to get even closer. As long as there is a line, it might as well be the goal line.

Jeez, what a mindless analogy.

One of the general issues with VAR is that it doesn't exist at every ground and in every game. Rules are now dividing the sport. That shouldn't be the case.

Well to continue the mindless analogy then, they don't have cancer treatments in every hospital either, so...going by your train of thought...

There's a real issue with people not accepting things which are new and being integrated to the process not being immediately 100% perfect and operating like they'd been around for 100 years.

There were always going to be issues with VAR. There's always teething issues with new laws as they're passed too and yet everyone gets on with things.

They don't have 4th officials in every game either. The game being the same from CL level to down the park games on a Sunday morning isn't the problem here.

Last edited:
Hardly the same thing and a tad offensive mate.

As for VAR I don't know anyone who likes what it has become...it was to be used sparingly and for 'obvious errors' and now it's stopping EVERY game for long spells to look at issues invisible to the naked eye.

It is the same thing. People spouting the "it's not used everywhere in football" is a nonsense. That's not a criticism of the issues where VAR is failing just now. It's something tagged on to their stance as it is seen as a negative.

It's got the square root of %^*& all to do with VAR dealing with a penalty decision (whether from the point of it looking at it in the first place or taking too long to reach a decision) whether Brechin v Montrose is covered by VAR or not.

What will happen is the issues with it just now will be ironed out and when it's realised that it's not of benefit for the likes of every single incident being pulled up just now.

It was never going to be perfect from the off. Similar to the Union or Brexit, it's seemingly not something that is going to go away so rather than demanding it's binned, people would be better dealing with how it could be improved.

The rules in Scotland next season:

In the Rangers box - new rules
In the opposition box - stick to the old rules

Especially around handball.

Th

They would just stand at the edge of that and try to get even closer. As long as there is a line, it might as well be the goal line.
Don't agree with that at all mate. The starting position should be the goal line and if they go beyond a further line there can be no complaints.

The way we are going with all these changes, it will end up start-stop p!sh like American Football, advert breaks at every 'Time Out' and video evidence being used for every single challenge etc.
I suspect football in 20 years will be an entirely different sport from the one most of us grew up playing, watching and loving.

VAR

3 things

Serious foul play missed by the ref and linesmen

Offside decisions that are very close if a goal is scored

Ball over the line or not

Apart from that no other decisions should be looked and they should stop farting about with a simple game making to many different rule changes at the same time

Top level football next season will be chaos because of these ill thought out and stupid moves

There’s a heartbreaking post in the lounge about a husband losing a wife to that disease. To trivialise it in this manner is crass beyond belief.

Stupid post.

There’s a heartbreaking post in the lounge about a husband losing a wife to that disease. To trivialise it in this manner is crass beyond belief.

Stupid post.

I've lost close family members to cancer. I'm not trivalising anything. It was in direct response to a moronic comment.

I'm pointing out the utterly ridiculous stand point that because you can't have something somewhere, it should be pulled instantly from anywhere else.

As VAR stands, the issues with it are not affected in the slightest by it not being in a lower division game. The issues with it are in the way it is being implemented.

Last edited:
I like the idea of VAR to help referees with the pace of the modern game and issues they might have missed. However, so far, I am not impressed with its implementation. The games I've seen where its been a feature have a hit rate of 2 maybe 3 out of 10 correct decisions, the others are extremely dubious. Perhaps its just the games I've seen where its been a feature and needs a greater sample size to be judged properly or perhaps its the standard of officiating that needs looked at.

In the recent games I've seen at the WWC. An example of some of the issues I've seen are; I've seen one lass jump side on facing away from the ball, in the box, with her arm tucked into her body not making herself bigger, ball bounces up of the turf and hits her elbow as she's turning away given as a pen. I've seen another girl go to head a ball, arms in the position we are taught from school kids how to head a ball, a yard away from the attacker, attacker gets to the ball and nods it onto her arm given as a penalty, and I've also seen a defender clearly use her arm to control and intercept a pass not given as a penalty.

The only constant variable in all of these decisions that I've witnessed above was they were given to the advantage of a top 10 ranked team.

was It not the rule years ago goalies weren’t allowed to move their feet until the ball was struck?Then it was changed so they could move along the line.

VAR is woefully unsuited to football.
I disagree it's not the VAR it's how it is used and implemented, that penalty against Scotland, seriously 5 or 6 looking at monitors then the ref takes an age to make a decision while looking at a monitor.
Jeeso it was a penalty and it needn't take nigh on 4 mins to make that decision, way over complicated

Liam Kelly is talking shite, first of all. Also, the rule doesn't say you can't move forward, it's there to make sure you only take one step forward.

Most goalkeepers keep one foot on the line already.

If they going down this route they need to even it out by banning penalty takers from checking their run. Give them a yellow card as well

Good keepers will be fine.

Watch McGregor v Samaras. Feet don't move from the line.

Imo
Var should only be used for dubious offsides or non offside calls when a goal has came off the back of the supposed offside. Also Goal line confirmation and also possible red card offences
Anything else can be done by ref.

I like the idea although id say A yard is too much.
Half a yard or even a third of a yard would prob suffice

Disagree, far too many high profile, game-changing errors were being made.

VAR will take time to bed in and will evolve. Yes there will be mistakes initially or delays but we need to understand that. It is for the greater good.
Not just errors though. Too much cheating, diving etc too. Football is already broken for me. No honesty left or very little and it gets you nowhere.

Back