How will penalties work next season?

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Lots of goalies - including Liam Kelly formerly of Rangers - have now said that it is all but impossible to dive from a standing start. The way a body moves to dive full length simply dictates that keepers can't stand on their line. Last night's events in Paris have been generally condemned by goalies, players and most fans. But like everything else it will be here to stay.

Can we assume that blasting ball down the middle will vanish as that is now one of the only areas keepers can cover?Are we going to see penalties all in the corner now and almost all scored? Is it a 'free hit' now?

Can you imagine that prick Michael Stewart next season with this and hand ball. Im going to have to goon a complete mefia shutdown.

What about encroachment?

Unless the goalie does their homework and can anticipate which corner the player will aim for then it'll essentially be a free hit at an empty goal. Gone are the 'paneka' and big defenders smashing it down the middle.

Can you imagine that prick Michael Stewart next season with this and hand ball. Im going to have to goon a complete mefia shutdown.

What about encroachment?
Throw in the yellow card for the defender if they made a genuine attempt at the ball!

I was thinking about this last night. Surely if that’s the rule for goalkeepers then the rule for the penalty taker has to change.
For example the multiple pauses in the run could make the keeper dive. Knowing this if the keeper is already on a yellow card then the penalty taker could use this and try make him dive early which would then in turn be a second yellow and keeper sent off?
Absolute shambles of a rule.

A goalie could easily be red carded - once for any foul then for moving before penalty is taken. Chaos may well ensue.

Imagine what happened last night with the lassies happened in a game against the Crash Barriers or another team to win the league or lose it?

There would be an absolute Riot.

goalie has to have one foot on the line - as long as they start behind the line and moves forward and touches the line at the moment the attackers boot hits the ball - then that would be fine? I'm sure that's what the goalie was trying to do last night.

It feels like the officials are already losing track of why VAR can be useful - things are being changed and checked that there is no need for.

This penalty rule change is howling and I can see it being cancelled.

Can't see this lasting too long.
Yeah, too many big changes at the same time. Things should have been left alone as VAR bedded in. We are already seeing lots of goals chopped off through VAR? Some rightly, some harshly but the number of penalties is certainly on the rise. They should leave penalties alone, albeit enforce retakes if refs are jumping forward from their line.

Maybe to balance it up, the penalty taker should have to shoot from a standing start too.

An interesting idea.

Kidding aside, eventually we'll have the entire pitch filled with players unable to move, tackle, pass, shoot, turn, open their mouth or even look at anybody else.

Disagree, far too many high profile, game-changing errors were being made.

VAR will take time to bed in and will evolve. Yes there will be mistakes initially or delays but we need to understand that. It is for the greater good.

Football’s been around for over a hundred years without VAR and done perfectly well.

VAR will ruin football. Some might disagree, that’s fine, but I feel strongly that VAR is one of the worst things to happen to football.

Football’s been around for over a hundred years without VAR and done perfectly well.

VAR will ruin football. Some might disagree, that’s fine, but I feel strongly that VAR is one of the worst things to happen to football.
You only need to look at the threads complaining about poor major refereeing decisions to see that football wasn’t getting along ‘perfectly well.’

It has its faults, namely the delays and sometimes being overly fussy but it will help get more major decisions correct and will improve over time, getting slicker with increased usage.

They should just allow goalies to move if they want ffs its a daft rule

I think they should be allowed to move out about half a yard just before or on contact ( 99% of them do anyway)
No matter how much they move the penalty taker is still a big favourite.

Was there already a rule in place that was supposed to prevent keepers from running about 5 yards off their line to save a penalty?

You only need to look at the threads complaining about poor major refereeing decisions to see that football wasn’t getting along ‘perfectly well.’

It has its faults, namely the delays and sometimes being overly fussy but it will help get more major decisions correct and will improve over time, getting slicker with increased usage.

You’re unlikely to change my opinion. As you can probably tell, I’m really not a fan of it.

Some might be, and I’m okay with that.

VAR has the ability to dilute the passion of a game. I’ve also seen plenty shocking decisions made as a result of VAR to know there’s no point if it only half works.

Just wait until the day Rangers are f*cked over by VAR, just like Scotland were yesterday ... then I’m sure your opinion will change ;)

So do I. I can’t stand it. Goal line technology is fine. It works, it’s quick and doesn’t need reviewed. VAR is still going to be the referees interpretation of the rule and the decision will still be up for debate.

The premier league could become unwatchable next season.

I will tell you one thing about these new rules, allowing Scottish referees to decide on what are essentially grey areas is only going to greatly benefit one team.

Aren't they also making penalties the same as a penalty shoot out? So theres going to be no rebounds?

It’s funny this decision last night as the girl was about 6 inches off the line. In the 1990 World Cup semi final the Argentinian goalkeeper was practically at the 6 yard line when the Italian players were hitting their penalties and no one noticed until about 2 days after the game.

There has to be a middle ground where some movement off the line is deemed acceptable otherwise the whole game becomes a mess in my opinion.

It’s funny this decision last night as the girl was about 6 inches off the line. In the 1990 World Cup semi final the Argentinian goalkeeper was practically at the 6 yard line when the Italian players were hitting their penalties and no one noticed until about 2 days after the game.

There has to be a middle ground where some movement off the line is deemed acceptable otherwise the whole game becomes a mess in my opinion.

Goalies have to be physically able to dive full length of goals...anything else is a free hit for the penalty taker.

VAR won't get 100% of decisions right because it still comes down to the referees interpretation of the rules, but just look at the Man City vs Spurs game as a perfect example of it being used correctly.

Wonder if there will be a special clause in the rule for septics goalkeeper if a penalty is ever given against them.

Lots of goalies - including Liam Kelly formerly of Rangers - have now said that it is all but impossible to dive from a standing start. The way a body moves to dive full length simply dictates that keepers can't stand on their line. Last night's events in Paris have been generally condemned by goalies, players and most fans. But like everything else it will be here to stay.

Can we assume that blasting ball down the middle will vanish as that is now one of the only areas keepers can cover?Are we going to see penalties all in the corner now and almost all scored? Is it a 'free hit' now?
they might aswell just to give the goal when a penalty is awarded save time wasting

Please leave football alone. I used to be a very enthusiastic tennis fan but don't watch it at all now; at one event there was constant discussion about how this that and the other needed changed, during matches, and that was the last of my interest, because it was incessant. When it works it works; these sports have something about them for a reason.

TV highlighting refereeing errors has brought this in.

Are keepers permitted to move along the goal line?

If not and they essentially need to take a standing start, no professional footballer should ever miss a penalty.

Pick a corner, fuk it, even tell the keeper what one and no chance a keeper from a standing start can get there before the ball reaches the back of the net!

Easy way to even this up and prove genuine good penalty takers.

Penalty taker must begin run up from 18 yard line, no stops feints or pauses, if so, free kick is awarded. I hate these pricks that do the stutter kind of run up.

Is it a yellow if they move? Did she move the second time?

I know it was scored but if they can get booked for moving and saving it, can they get booked if they move and don’t save it?

I've less sympathy for goalies here than I might have done if they hadn't spent years trying to get to their six yard line when a penalty was being struck by the attacker.

Back