How would McCoist fare playing as a lone striker within modern tactical set-ups?

Blaew

Wasn't aware he played in midfield! If his all round game was good enough to play in midfield then I guess that answers my question about him playing upfront himself.
He started in midfield the day of the LC final where he scored a hat trick against them then he got moved up front later on in the game. He states it on the Old Firm Classics video.

How would our greatest ever striker fare? The guy who scored 355 times for us?

The only Scotsman to get win the Golden Shoe, 1 of only 4 people to have ever won it back to back, the others being Thierry Henry, Ronaldo and Messi.

The guy who after breaking his leg, came off the bench in his first game back which happened to be a cup final and scored an overhead kick.

The guy nicknamed SUPER? How would he fare? Aye he'd probably have struggled.

I mean ffs.
You're probably right mate, I think I've fallen prey to the common fallacy of memory that Ally was only a "poacher". He was clearly more talented than that! Would be interesing to see how many of those 355 goals were scored while playing upront by himself though.

Last edited:

Math1eson

You're probably right mate, I think I've fallen prey to the common fallacy of memory that Ally was only a "poacher". He was clearly more talented than that! Would be interesing to see how many of those 355 goals were scored while playing upront by himself though.
Ally in his prime was every bit the footballer Sergio Aguero is today.

TQ3

How would our greatest ever striker fare? The guy who scored 355 times for us?

The only Scotsman to get win the Golden Shoe, 1 of only 4 people to have ever won it back to back, the others being Thierry Henry, Ronaldo and Messi.

The guy who after breaking his leg, came off the bench in his first game back which happened to be a cup final and scored an overhead kick.

The guy nicknamed SUPER? How would he fare? Aye he'd probably have struggled.

I mean ffs.
I remember when he was breaking scoring records almost weekly, and my uncle said to me “you’re a lucky boy getting to watch Super Ally. He will go down as the legend, and you can say that you seen him play.” I thought he was a bit dramatic at the time, but he was spot on.

prenzlauerbear

The idea that if you have a team that creates chances, your lone striker - regardless of how technically lacking he is - will stand there and prod the ball home each time is so daft.

It's so overly simplistic. I still remember watching Boyd in the lone striker role where he'd continually get caught offside or dispossessed by the center backs. He didn't have the brains for it either. McCoist was 10x the player and would probably have got by, but let's not say it's some kind of easy role that anyone can do if the service is good.

change consent