HRMC Tweet

Clearly been hacked, but the more concerning thing is that it was able to be hacked.

For an organisation that stores personal data about everyone in this country, an apparent lack of IT security is a huge concern.

HM Revenue & Customs sent a tweet late on Thursday night stating they "did not miscalculate anything" regarding Rangers' tax bill which ultimately led to their liquidation.

The Times had reported that the taxman made a mistake with the amount they claimed from the Ibrox club for their use of EBTs in the 2000s when under the ownership of Sir David Murray.

The story claimed Rangers would have £50million wiped from their tax bill.

It had prompted the club's former chairman John McClelland to suggest that a £20milllion rather than £70million bill was much more manageable for potential investors and could have prevented Rangers from going bust and seeking re-entry back into the Scottish leagues.
Hello, this is the first of your 5 free articles for this week
Subscribe today
X
Get all the latest news, analysis and expert opinion with an online subscription
Subscribe Today
He said: “At the time of the sale of the club in 2011, had the tax claim been at the level now being reported then, in my opinion, the outcome would have been different.
“I believe there would certainly have been a much higher level of interest in acquiring it and therefore more potential buyers.”
However, HMRC took to Twitter to dispute the reported mistake.
The official account of the HMRC press office posted: "As widely reported today and to clarify: HMRC won against Rangers’ tax avoidance in the Supreme Court, and did not miscalculate anything."

That’s a very woolly statement.

Yes, they won at the Supreme Court on the principal of the tax implications of having an EBT. However, none of the judges at any of the courts looked at the size of the payment due or the method by which it was calculated.

That wasn’t their job.

Last edited:
Clearly been hacked, but the more concerning thing is that it was able to be hacked.

For an organisation that stores personal data about everyone in this country, an apparent lack of IT security is a huge concern.

“Clearly been hacked”

You sure about that? The fact the tweet is still there almost 12 hours later would suggest otherwise.

mentally challengeds just can’t help themselves can they, the ones that do actually find a job can’t leave their bigotry at the door and be professional? Their simmering hatred for our club is never far from the surface as this tweet clearly shows.

I’d wager everything I have on one of them being behind it.

mentally challengeds just can’t help themselves can they, the ones that do actually find a job can’t leave their bigotry at the door and be professional? Their simmering hatred for our club is never far from the surface as this tweet clearly shows.

Either an in HMRC crash barrier or a hacker.

No way I’d accept that bet from you. It’s a racing certainty

Just imagine Declan working at HMRC

"Boss, can we tweet about Rangers?"

"No, we can't comment on individual cases."

"But...they're CHEATS!"

"Look, stop going on about it, we're not tweeting about this, it would be foolish, unproffesional and risky."

"BUT THE PEOPLE HUV TAE KNOW!!!"

I saw the tweet and automatically assumed it was from a fake account set up by some sevco-obsessed mentally challenged.

Absolutely staggering they would tweet that.

I'm confused the penalty appeal was won in June this year and this only became news yesterday. So why has this tweet surfaced from hrmc. Someone needs their jotters alongside the original crowd who set the penalties.

That might be a legit HMRC account but there is no way that is an authorised tweet sent at 11.13pm.

The usual mantra is "we do not talk about individual cases"

Some mentally challenged has hacked this (or operates their social media).

Spot on.

That might be a legit HMRC account but there is no way that is an authorised tweet sent at 11.13pm.

The usual mantra is "we do not talk about individual cases"

Some mentally challenged has hacked this (or operates their social media).
I'd be very surprised if anyone was manning the HMRC social media accounts at that time of night.

Back