Hun v 19th Century Terrorist

Heard before (could be BS) that Celtic fans were originally called Huns first dating back to the fact that during WWII when a nightly blackout occurred in Britain, Ireland kept all their lights on, which gave the Germans a reference point. They got the name to show they were the enemy and sympathisers.
It was switched to us being called Huns for whatever reason after that.

From WWI and maybe more so after WWII, it became a general term of abuse. That's why Rangers fans directed it against the Celtic support. It's got nothing to do with the more fanciful suggestions people have made. (The last time I heard Rangers fans chanting 'Go home ya huns' was probably in the early 80s or so.)

They tended to use 'hun' in the same sense. Because it was largely the only word they used against Rangers fans it carried similar connotations to '19th Century Terrorist', 'poet', 'mentally challenged' and so on.

Somewhere round about the 90s (maybe slightly later) fans of the smaller clubs began to ape Celtic fans by hijacking the word. This was probably a spill-over from fanzine culture.

As for '19th Century Terrorist', much of the public don't really know what it means. I've heard someone saying it must be offensive just because of the way it sounds.

The key point in my view is that both words are viewed by the wider public as equally offensive (according to a social attitudes survey) but they most certainly aren't treated by politicians, the media or the criminal justice system the same way.

19th Century Terrorist's Bar Perth Western Australia
bhj441.jpg

19th Century Terrorist -sectarian criminal offence
FTP -sectarian criminal offence
Anti-Irish racism - sectarian criminal offence

Hun-legitimate free speech
FTQ - legitimate free speech
Anti-British racism - legitimate free speech

Just the way the anti-Protestant Republican mhedia, politicians and judiciary like it.

Just had a guy on twitter claim that “Hun” is used as They’re called Huns because we liken them to the rampaging hordes of Atilla. They want Hun to be sectarian for equivalence for all their vile names for catholics.

To which I’ve simply stated, How is 19th Century Terrorist sectarian? It’s a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a 19th-century revolutionary nationalist organization among the Irish in the US and Ireland. The 19th Century Terrorists staged an unsuccessful revolt in Ireland in 1867. So by your hun ethos, not sectarian.

This is the primary issue, they want 19th Century Terrorist to be as bad as saying “******” but won’t accept their own slurs for us
Point him to the ‘Huns Out’ and ‘Kill All Huns’ banners in Belfast in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I remember that well from attending games in the late 60's/70's
I might be wrong but I think we referred to them as Huns due to the ROI's complicity in helping the German Nazis against the UK during WW2.
Just how and why it turned turtle is still a mystery to me!
Spot on.
They kept the lights on to guide bombers/u-boats during the blackout was the story I was told as a kid.
I tell kids who have a mentally challenged step dad, and talk them through the first chorus of “Hail Hail”, both our original version and theirs. Then I ask what song rhymes? “Hail hail,the popes in jail” or their version, they all realise I’m telling the truth.

My best friend at school was catholic and supported Rangers. We went to Ibrox together in the seventies and eighties. He never felt any offence and sung our songs with great gusto. Lost contact with him but know he will be appalled by all this PC brigade nowadays.

Not one of the c*nts has the balls to be a real 19th Century Terrorist.Thats why they get upset.They can talk the talk etc..
Shitebags who take the British shilling but couldn't live without it.

If he’s from Donegal it’s true. It’s a badge of honour for a lot of people in Ireland, a term of endearment
Never heard it in my life .But might be a new thing .Spent loads of time with family in Donegal since the Early 1980s .Tons of mental weird names but never heard this .

Never heard it in my life .But might be a new thing .Spent loads of time with family in Donegal since the Early 1980s .Tons of mental weird names but never heard this .
It’s the definitive word for an Irishman who fought for his country’s freedom against the hated British. It can’t come as surprise to you to learn many are embodied by such terms but it surprises me you’ve spent anytime in Donegal and aren’t even aware of it

Where did Hateley's Attilla nickname come from?

From the way Italian fans said his name when he was at Milan.

Folk should have a look at this photo from Northern Ireland and see if anyone thinks "Hun" is an OK word for us:

ohsh2f.png

It’s the definitive word for an Irishman who fought for his country’s freedom against the hated British. It can’t come as surprise to you to learn many are embodied by such terms but it surprises me you’ve spent anytime in Donegal and aren’t even aware of it
Posted in another thread .Never in my life have I heard it I have met Eamons Emmits Saoirse Michael Collin's, Finns ,Phil's,named after their mythical giant .

I have heard of many bonkers female names and many ludicrus spellings .
Even some pleasant names of females that were very easy on the eye .

But if I had heard of any one called 19th Century Terrorist.I wouldn't know wether to be totally disgusted or totally shocked .

But recently in the last 20 or so years .Nothing would surprise me of the depths that they would sink to .

Just as an aside .There is hardly a place in Donegal that I haven't stayed in at one time or another .

My wifes both parents are from Lifford and my best mate of 30 years is from Muff.

For the first 20 years every where I went .
It was This is Charlie and He is a Rangers Man /Bluenose

I have had the stares and the whispers .I have had confrontation plenty times .
Mostly from daftie Glaswegians .Who were put in their place .

Same to this day I work at the shuttering .

I have worked with every Irish Based company going .

I put a tee shirt on at work every one knows what Charlie is .

A proud bear that takes no shit and has never met till this day any one named 19th Century Terrorist .

Last edited:
I might be wrong but I think we referred to them as Huns due to the ROI's complicity in helping the German Nazis against the UK during WW2.
I always assumed it was to do with connections to the German royal family & British royal family. Was the British royals not called Saxe-Coburg at one point then changed after the war. Maybe that’s the connection?

From the way Italian fans said his name when he was at Milan.

Folk should have a look at this photo from Northern Ireland and see if anyone thinks "Hun" is an OK word for us:

ohsh2f.png
Thanks, I honestly didn't know. I thought it could have easily attributed to Hun.

I always assumed it was to do with connections to the German royal family & British royal family. Was the British royals not called Saxe-Coburg at one point then changed after the war. Maybe that’s the connection?

Why would Rangers fans call Celtic fans 'huns' then, if that was the case?

Other supports used to direct it at their rivals too.

It was just a general term of abuse.

Why would Rangers fans call Celtic fans 'huns' then, if that was the case?

Other supports used to direct it at their rivals too.

It was just a general term of abuse.
I don’t know then why it has stuck with us if everyone was using it!

Fact is it being used as a stick to beat us with, while they can make comments which are offensive with impunity.

All due (moslty) to media conditioning.

If you knew nothing of Rangers and watched clarke on SSN, that is the only side of the story you would see. While example A,B & C are completely ignored by the MSM.

Let’s be honest here both words/terms should have been abolished many, many years ago from football

I feel like I've just been put in a time machine and sent back 10 or 15 years. Yes, the 19th Century Terrorist movement was a political movement, initially founded by a Protestant. BUT they've already won the propaganda war and we just can't use it any more. That battle has been lost and we need to move on.

Our only options now are to try to ensure that derogatory terms for us be given the same treatment. Hun is completely unacceptable. Orange bastard is clearly a sectarian slur. We need to focus on establishing that and start defending our own corner.

100% correct - always called them 'huns' in the 70's as my Granda had old me they sided with the Germans in the last war and raised swastikas at parkhead during games.

Posted in another thread .Never in my life have I heard it I have met Eamons Emmits Saoirse Michael Collin's, Finns ,Phil's,named after their mythical giant .

I have heard of many bonkers female names and many ludicrus spellings .
Even some pleasant names of females that were very easy on the eye .

But if I had heard of any one called 19th Century Terrorist.I wouldn't know wether to be totally disgusted or totally shocked .

But recently in the last 20 or so years .Nothing would surprise me of the depths that they would sink to .

Just as an aside .There is hardly a place in Donegal that I haven't stayed in at one time or another .

My wifes both parents are from Lifford and my best mate of 30 years is from Muff.

For the first 20 years every where I went .
It was This is Charlie and He is a Rangers Man /Bluenose

I have had the stares and the whispers .I have had confrontation plenty times .
Mostly from daftie Glaswegians .Who were put in their place .

Same to this day I work at the shuttering .

I have worked with every Irish Based company going .

I put a tee shirt on at work every one knows what Charlie is .

A proud bear that takes no shit and has never met till this day any one named 19th Century Terrorist .
You realise I’m not claiming they have 19th Century Terrorist as an actual name don’t you? We’re referring to them being proud to be called a 19th Century Terrorist, to encapsulate the beliefs and core values of 19th Century Terroristism

I wish I had a £1 for everytime I've been called an Orange bassa. My standard answer is "and don't ever forget it". Everyone wants to be offended nowadays.

Heard before (could be BS) that Celtic fans were originally called Huns first dating back to the fact that during WWII when a nightly blackout occurred in Britain, Ireland kept all their lights on, which gave the Germans a reference point. They got the name to show they were the enemy and sympathisers.
It was switched to us being called Huns for whatever reason after that.
I've heard that also. My auld man told me that they were called Huns in the 60s and beyond, but for some reason it changed 180 degrees.

The simply fact is we use 19th Century Terrorist to describe a Celtic fan or anything to do with that club - they find the use of that word both distasteful and offensive (For the avoidance of doubt I personally never ever use the word unless in the context of Celtic)

The use the words Orange and Hun to describe us or anything to do with our club. The press have decide in their wisdom that these two words are neither distasteful or offensive and we all dhould be big boys and suck it up.

The above is in a nutshell all that this is about. Someone has decide for me that as a Rangers fan I am not allowed to take any offence to being called an Orange Bastard or Hun but those lily-livered scum can claim the moral high ground if called a 19th Century Terrorist.

19th Century Terrorist -sectarian criminal offence
FTP -sectarian criminal offence
Anti-Irish racism - sectarian criminal offence

Hun-legitimate free speech
FTQ - legitimate free speech
Anti-British racism - legitimate free speech

Just the way the anti-Protestant Republican mhedia, politicians and judiciary like it.

That captures it all, nothing further need be said.

I think a good lawyer would expose this word as non sectarian as others have said it’s not a word for catholic

You realise I’m not claiming they have 19th Century Terrorist as an actual name don’t you? We’re referring to them being proud to be called a 19th Century Terrorist, to encapsulate the beliefs and core values of 19th Century Terroristism

"I work with a guy from Donegal he said 19th Century Terrorist isn't offensive in the slightest and claims that some guys would have it as a middle name "

This is the post I replied to .
Try calling one of them .That name .
I have seen guys paid off for daring to utter it.
To a guy who says He is proud to be one

"I work with a guy from Donegal he said 19th Century Terrorist isn't offensive in the slightest and claims that some guys would have it as a middle name "

This is the post I replied to .
Try calling one of them .That name .
I have seen guys paid off for daring to utter it.
To a guy who says He is proud to be one
Guys would have it, such is their strength of support for the term, not do have it as in on the birth certificate

For some reason they did not like it when I called them the original hun because they left the lights on so the Germans could bomb Britain . Hit a nerve big time.

The H word is the only word that I find the most vile to be called. Even more so if I hear others saying they are one as a Rangers supporter.

Just had a guy on twitter claim that “Hun” is used as They’re called Huns because we liken them to the rampaging hordes of Atilla. They want Hun to be sectarian for equivalence for all their vile names for catholics.

To which I’ve simply stated, How is 19th Century Terrorist sectarian? It’s a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a 19th-century revolutionary nationalist organization among the Irish in the US and Ireland. The 19th Century Terrorists staged an unsuccessful revolt in Ireland in 1867. So by your hun ethos, not sectarian.

This is the primary issue, they want 19th Century Terrorist to be as bad as saying “******” but won’t accept their own slurs for us
%^*& them.

I remember being called a “smelly hun bastard” by a boy older than me while playing at my local football pitch. I didn’t go crying to my mother. I regularly call one of my mates a 19th Century Terrorist or poet in jest.

These days there’s lots of folk wanting to be “different”, and effectively labelled. The terriers seem to take this and rip the piss.

Back