I’ve Stopped My Club 1872 Contributions In Light Of The Proposed King Shares Puchase

For those against this, who should King sell his shares to, just any random person like the next Murray, Whyte, Green or Ashley or to Rangers fans?
And that's all that's out there? Spivs?
There are no genuinely rich Rangers fans who would take on his shareholding? Or none of the existing major shareholders might want to increase their holding some more?

Don't be so deliberately misleading in that his only sale option will be Spivs or C1872.

Fan priority needs to be to assist where possible in funding the club for success on the field.
Be that new shares, continued season tickets, merchandise etc etc.

And that's all that's out there? Spivs?
There are no genuinely rich Rangers fans who would take on his shareholding? Or none of the existing major shareholders might want to increase their holding some more?

Don't be so deliberately misleading in that his only sale option will be Spivs or C1872.

Fan priority needs to be to assist where possible in funding the club for success on the field.
Be that new shares, continued season tickets, merchandise etc etc.

Nobody knows who comes in after King. Or Park. Or Gibson. Nobody knew who was coming after Murray. Or after Whyte. Or after Green.

That's one of the fundamental uncertainties that meaningful fan ownership aims to address.

I’m aware we have a funding gap for the rest of this season which the directors will personally fund.

However, my point was that after this tranche, IMO they won’t stick anymore of their own money in.

If we have a gap next season, it’ll be a player or 2 sold in the summer to bridge the gap.

When the directors plough in the next tranche of millions, IMO only some of it will be converted with some being paid back as an interest free loan.

Either way, in 3 years time they won’t be issuing £13m worth of new shares IMO as they’d have to fork out again to keep existing % or have their shareholding diluted if c1872 hoovered up £13m worth
The fjndng gap is next year. Whar if we dont sell a player next year? I'd wager we will absolutely issue £13m in the next 3 years. Weve issued at least £8m this year? I highly doubt investors will ever keep any loans on the books, all converted to equity. We need to win the fecking title this year and it helps his situation massively.

See that concerns me.

Why would King not inform them of his intentions first?Has a rift developed between King and the board since he stepped down?

You’d have thought after everything a large number of them ha e went through,a heads up would’ve been the least to expect let alone discussing it with them.

Tbh when I read King stating he’s had no real contact with the board since stepping down, it concerned me as I just didn’t think that was normal

Made me think there’s been some disagreement or the likes tbh. I hope not.

Hopefully this process can get more positive coverage than that of the OP. I think the fans involvement in the club boardroom is essential in avoiding another fiasco.

I
After much deliberation, I’ve decided to no longer contribute to Club 1872.

I don’t think that it’s too much of a stretch to say that recent announcements are a bit of a kick in the teeth to our current wealthy investors, who are all loyal supporters like you and I.

If I’d invested the sums of money these shareholders had, I’d be concerned that a fans’ group could soon have a majority say in the club I’ve heavily invested in.

For me, the not inconsiderable sum of £13 million would do a lot more good going to the club than any individual.
And I say that as a big Dave King fan.

That the Club 1872 fans’ group seems to be extremely poorly run would only add to my concerns.

As someone who has contributed each month to Club 1872 for a long time, the King news just doesn’t sit right with me.

Club 1872 members were polled recently to ascertain interest in a much smaller shares purchase, yet there is no such similar poll for a potentially much larger purchase.
How can this be?

Our club desperately needs money – and, as a Club 1872 member, I’d far rather our money went towards new shares, so the £13 million that has been suggested goes to the club.

And I’m quite sure the current board would be very receptive to such a move.

King has every right to sell his shares – and I’ll be eternally grateful for all his efforts – but I think this is a terrible move.

I trust King enough to be able to sell his shares to other investors who would have RFC’s best interests at heart.

Apologies if this seems overly dramatic, but I can no longer support Club 1872 on this new path they’ve chosen without even consulting members.

Any money I’ll be spending from now on will exclusively be going direct to the club.

I appreciate some may think this is a ‘look at me’ post – it’s not... and I also appreciate that some may question the need for a new thread – but I think that people deciding to walk away from Club 1872 in light of recent events is reason enough for a thread in its own right.

Anyone else feel similar?
I’ve done exactly the same so you’re not alone

When the resignation of board members of C1872 took place a couple of months ago with no real explanation given I started to doubt the way it was run and took the decision to cancel my subscription. Financially it made no difference to C1872 at the time (or since) as I paid annually rather than monthly with the next payment due next March. I was hoping that if information was forthcoming that gave me more confidence in the way it was run then I could reinstate my payments. I have to say that I have heard nothing from C1872 since then that gives me confidence in them at present far less with control of 25% of the club, therefore my position has not changed and I currently cannot envisage me restarting my subscription.

I’ll keep my contribution as is at the moment, I’m interested as to how this all develops and if C1872 can become an actual vehicle for fan representation, as opposed to the bowling club that it is at the moment.

I don’t think that it’s too much of a stretch to say that recent announcements are a bit of a kick in the teeth to our current wealthy investors, who are all loyal supporters like you and I.

If I’d invested the sums of money these shareholders had, I’d be concerned that a fans’ group could soon have a majority say in the club I’ve heavily invested in.

For me, the not inconsiderable sum of £13 million would do a lot more good going to the club than any individual.

That the Club 1872 fans’ group seems to be extremely poorly run would only add to my concerns.

As someone who has contributed each month to Club 1872 for a long time, the King news just doesn’t sit right with me.

Club 1872 members were polled recently to ascertain interest in a much smaller shares purchase, yet there is no such similar poll for a potentially much larger purchase.
How can this be?

Our club desperately needs money – and, as a Club 1872 member, I’d far rather our money went towards new shares, so the £13 million that has been suggested goes to the club.

King has every right to sell his shares – and I’ll be eternally grateful for all his efforts – but I think this is a terrible move.

I trust King enough to be able to sell his shares to other investors who would have RFC’s best interests at heart.

Apologies if this seems overly dramatic, but I can no longer support Club 1872 on this new path they’ve chosen without even consulting members.

Any money I’ll be spending from now on will exclusively be going direct to the club.

I appreciate some may think this is a ‘look at me’ post – it’s not... and I also appreciate that some may question the need for a new thread – but I think that people deciding to walk away from Club 1872 in light of recent events is reason enough for a thread in its own right.

Where’s the £13M coming from, to go ”directly to the Club?”
Right now there is no £13M. How do you propose to raise it, without the carrot of DKs shares going into supporter control? It hasn’t happened so far.
DK wants a return on his shares. He either sells them to Club1872 or he sells them elsewhere. In either scenario, the Club doesn’t get the money. DK does.

I also question the timing of it. We are doing so well on the park and need no distractions from this, particularly regarding finances.

It's Dave King in a nutshell.

He'd fly over, say something stupid to the mhedia, and then we have to live with the consequences as he flew back to SA.

Forever grateful, but he's not perfect.

I fear this is another misjudgement.

Well done OP just the deflection the mentally challengeds and the mhedia need

Yeah mate the violence, the poor results and the general unrest at the piggery will all be forgotten about now that the media are chomping at the bit to write about a solitary poster from FF making the decision to stop contributing to Club 1872. I expect the news will have spread right around Europe by midday tomorrow with Charles Patterson and countless other reporters stood outside Ibrox desperate to know how and why Sherbrook_loyal came to this decision.

How can this be?

Totally agree

why can’t any money raised go in as loans to the club to be converted to shares like the other investors have done?

the club has been running at a loss and needs investment

if we the fans raised 13m we would have a massive share percentage anyway
And most importantly the other shareholder like park etc also have good percentages

this idea is for me I’ll thought out vanity project with no Ben if it to rangers

The fans will get nothing in return this way either. In the next 2-3 years the board will have to issue shares to the value of £22m, which will mean any DK ahareholdering c1872 take up will be further diluted.
Exactly

what percentage does king have 13%?
The directors have committed to cover 10m deficit this year and 12m next year? Can’t remember the real figures

when those sums are converted to shares what percentage will kings shares be?
8%?

it’s just plain daft imo

loan the club any money the money is invested in the team get share that way

if they done that I’d be right behind it

Exactly

what percentage does king have 13%?
The directors have committed to cover 10m deficit this year and 12m next year? Can’t remember the real figures

when those sums are converted to shares what percentage will kings shares be?
8%?

it’s just plain daft imo

loan the club any money the money is invested in the team get share that way

if they done that I’d be right behind it
Dave King has 20.37% shares at present with Club 1872 at 4.95%. So if they can purchase them they will have more than the 25%+1 which would be enough to stop a repeat of 2012.

We will watch from the pavements...
Three little birdies...
Brechin etc...
Here we are our team is great the club is fine and yet...

Not involved with club 1872 but I agree with what you said. Don’t agree with people rubbishing King for selling his shares , he’s put in plenty to the club , especially his time. The fact is he came along st the right time to help us and has done a terrific job.
The man lives in SA long way from Ibrox and has his business to run. Selling his shares at a cheeper price is not taking money out the club. We should be thanking him and wishing him well for the future.

Agree with the OP 100% . Club 1872 funds were designed to help the Club not DK

The OP stated he felt it was a ‘kick in the teeth’ to current investors and that’s why he will cease contributing.

The fact that the current investors seem to be happy with the arrangement clearly shows that the OP has an other agenda with what’s going on.

I just wish folk would cut the crap & have the power of their convictions to say what they really mean .

1) How do you know what the current investors think?

2) I deliberated over the content of my OP considerably – and I've said exactly what I meant to.

They are existing shareholders and give the club money in exchange for more shares.

People can’t just give the club £13m for nothing, it would have to be more for someone’s shares (which is what C1872 are proposing) or it would need to be for a fresh share issue which isn’t going to happen.

Why wouldn't a fresh share issue happen?
Do you know if existing board members would be amiable to this or not?

Where’s the £13M coming from, to go ”directly to the Club?”
Right now there is no £13M. How do you propose to raise it, without the carrot of DKs shares going into supporter control? It hasn’t happened so far.
DK wants a return on his shares. He either sells them to Club1872 or he sells them elsewhere. In either scenario, the Club doesn’t get the money. DK does.

It doesn't need to be £13 million.

It could be a lesser amount agreed with the existing board members.

People can just stop payments without a big public drama you know, or is the aim to put other people off and ruin the chances of it working?

There are plenty of favourable posts with others saying they've joined as new Legacy members, why should posts not in favour of this not be allowed?

Arguably, my wanting Club 1872 money to go to the club rather than an individual is in the club's best interests.

This is a messageboard.
If this isn't a platform for public discussion, then I don't know what is, mate.

After some deliberation and help of legal friends, I am also out.

It would be more meaningful to have a drive for fans to buy individual shares, who then vote as a block. The C1872 set up is naive, poorly run, and lacking in transparency. The idea that 3 voluntary directors, and an admin assistant, can hold £13m of supporters money is ridiculous.

The past governance of C1872 sends warning signals. They need to get some professionals in. I also don’t believe that 25.1% stops the chance of 2012 happening again, it doesn’t. All it needs is a charismatic spiv to pull the wool over the directors eyes. Past experience tells us how easy this is.

So many questions, right now there haven’t been any answers. No information except to ask for money. I’m out.

We are being offered the opportunity to help safeguard the future of the club.

In an ideal world we would always have deep pocketed blue noses with the clubs best interests at heart at the helm, but again from recent experience we know that won’t necessarily be the case.

I understand that people would like £13m to be invested into the club rather than cashing out a major investor but I just don’t think people get that Dave King is going whether we like it or not.

A £13m cash injection into the club right would probably be spent wisely but it would be spent and we still wouldn’t have any say in how it is spent or in the running the club. £13m is a drop in the ocean when you think about the cost of operating a football club over the long term.

If we end up in the position we’ve been in in the recent past where the club is being run into the ground in front of our very eyes without us being able to do anything about it then we only have ourselves to blame.

Each to their own but some of us seem to have short memories.

We are being offered the opportunity to help safeguard the future of the club.

In an ideal world we would always have deep pocketed blue noses with the clubs best interests at heart at the helm, but again from recent experience we know that won’t necessarily be the case.

I understand that people would like £13m to be invested into the club rather than cashing out a major investor but I just don’t think people get that Dave King is going whether we like it or not.

A £13m cash injection into the club right would probably be spent wisely but it would be spent and we still wouldn’t have any say in how it is spent or in the running the club. £13m is a drop in the ocean when you think about the cost of operating a football club over the long term.

If we end up in the position we’ve been in in the recent past where the club is being run into the ground in front of our very eyes without us being able to do anything about it then we only have ourselves to blame.

Each to their own but some of us seem to have short memories.

There’s nothing in the current set up of C1872 that guarantees the safety of the club if it owns 25.1%.

All it takes is the elected board member to side with the spiv. That’s it. The C1872 members just vote to elect the board member(s). That person then votes accordingly. You, the fan, don’t get a vote on the Rangers board.

Essentially with C1872 you’re paying and voting for 1-2 people to have enormous power. Individual fans truly owning shares and voting in a block is a far better idea.

Last edited:
The money has already gone into the club. DK wants to take his money back out

In a nutshell.

This is about his money and he wants it back and this looks like the easiest and most tolerable way for him to do it.

I always thought when he "stepped down" there was more to it and felt it was in some way tied to SD and the fatman fucking off. He has been so quiet since leaving which struck me also.

As for the fan ownership, in theory it's a good thing however fans buying shares themselves as opposed to a group representing the fans should be the idea.

c1872 having the majority shareholding puts off any future investors imo.

DK (billionaire) should have handed off some shares to c1872 and sold the rest to fans or other investors (current or new), this is suspect to me, maybe he is skint.

To me the issue is this:

We all accept that Dave King has our best interests at heart so if he doesn’t sell to Club 1872 then whoever he did sell too would likely be ok in the short term.

It’s then who those shares are sold to further down the line that concerns me - we have no way of knowing that just now, so despite the understandable concerns about the running of C1872 I think this is the right thing for the long term.

This isn’t about the short term and maybe getting £13m into the club. It’s about securing the long term future of Rangers.

The King family have decided to sell their shares and have offered them to Rangers fans.

If you don't want to support c1872 in buying these what is your desired outcome? The shares go the open market where anyone can buy?

I was one of the early members of Rangers first when i thought soon we might have no club at all, i do not quite remember the circumstances but i am sure it was taken over/merged with club 1872 and thats when i stopped my payments, i have already bought two lots of shares which will be mine forever if they are valued at 1p or 100 pounds that will not matter they will be kept.
In the here and now i would much rather buy (stuff) where the money goes straight to the club RTV/merch MYgers etc, i am at the other end of the country and do not have a ST but if there was a shortfall in the take up next season i would gladly purchase.

Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot. Putting personal vendettas and petty jealousy before the good of the club.
As has been stated King is not without his flaws but he’s trying to back the fans and safeguard the future of the club. Why wouldn’t we want fan involvement, I spent 10 years in Germany and the banter years would not have happened if we’d more representation.

There are plenty of favourable posts with others saying they've joined as new Legacy members, why should posts not in favour of this not be allowed?

Arguably, my wanting Club 1872 money to go to the club rather than an individual is in the club's best interests.

This is a messageboard.
If this isn't a platform for public discussion, then I don't know what is, mate.

Fair enough bud.

How can this be?

I actually joined club 1872 yesterday when I saw the news. I obviously dont know as much about the way its run as you do but my reasoning was this who loves the club more than anyone the ordinary fans. Who will make sure the club is safe from carpetbaggers and conman the likes of which were allowed to feast on us by rich businessmen who found themselves in financial trouble and dropped us. I can only speak for myself and say my motives are pure I'm not looking for anything for myself but trusting fellow ordinary supporters to look after our.club. Although we need to be run as a business it should not be for businessmen to line their pockets

@sherbrook_loyal
On one point “I trust King enough to be able to sell his shares to other investors who would have RFC’s best interests at heart.”

That’s understandable, but what about those who buy from King, when they want to sell, do they have the same commitment to the club King had?
I think this way, he gets the majority of his money back, he’s also ensuring that no matter what the future holds the supporters have a say in the clubs running.

You’re more than right to be a little ill at ease. However I think King is genuinely doing what he thinks is best for the club and safeguarding us against future issues.

Well done OP just the deflection the mentally challengeds and the mhedia need
We wouldnt even be talking about it if this shite never got announced at the stupidest time.
Everyone pulling in the same direction everything’s rosy on the park and boom back 5 years to the pathetic infighting.
And as someone said instead of Gerrard beaming about his team at the agm he’s going to need to listen to this muck.

Last edited:
Of course any pound spent we’d rather go directly the club, but hasn’t this £13m already done exactly that we are noW looking to ‘pay Dave King back’

In return we have a club in a healthy position (we may not have had a club at all) and we have a very large % of fan ownership
DKs cash has never been in the club,apart from his loans,his original purchase of shares (16%)were from an existing shareholder,IMO DK should have followed the bunnet and sold his shares direct to the fans,that way there would be no power base but the safeguards would still be in place.

My opinion is pretty much negligible in terms of influence in this regard, so it might be that I'm not best to answer that.

I've never been sold on fan ownership as a concept for Rangers. I accept it works elsewhere, I'm not sure it would for us. I've never been a member of any of the fans groups.

I find the arguments for it a bit too "best case" in terms of what it will provide. Ultimately though, there are many, many more voices more knowledgeable than me to consider, including yourself.

Dunno if I know any more than you, matey.

For me I think there is two stages to this and club 1872 should confirm/deny this.

Stage one is to raise the £13million to buy the shares to get over 25% and stop 2012 happening again. This was one of the main goals of club 1872 when it was set up

Stage two is the big part. What then? This is where club 182 need to release a long term business plan to continue to keep investment coming in. Who will represent them on the board? Souness? Gough? Smith?
I personally think that they need to say now that they will be set up to allow money to go straight into the club from members. Foundation of hearts do this and no reason why we can’t give 50% of membership money straight to the club and keep the other 50% for projects or cash flow if any further share issue is released

Club 1872 have a very important few months ahead to promote this as they can’t expect people to donate large values of cash with no or little plan but on paper this should be seen as a positive and something a lot of people have been desperate to happen since 2012 and I don’t think we will ever get a better chance to get over the 25% ownership any other way

Reactions: WBD
1. I’m not convinced it’s the best thing for our club to have the majority share holder being such a large collection of individuals who may not be willing or able to supply anymore than the initial share purchase contribution.

2. I fear this subject is going to be decisive for our support. With so many views/agendas/loyalties/capabilities

3. 1 and 2 will combined means potential trouble for my club.

I'm not convinced that people who think 25% is a majority understand things at all.

Also, 74.9% will be owned by people with contacts for investment.

Also also, at the £13m, the contributions don't just stop. There would hopefully be 20,000 people putting in a tenner a month. Thats £2.4m a year of continued external investment.

Last edited:
I do find it rather alarming that people don’t seem to understand why C1872, or anyone else for that matter, can’t just give a significant amount of cash straight to the club.
The trouble with giving the money straight to the club is where does it stop? It’s £13m just now but under the current operating strategy that will grow until we head towards a break even model through player sales. As fans we all give our hard earned in various forms but the only rational model in this case seems a shareholding option which provides more longevity. The concerns around the governance of C1872 are valid but I would trust that the right members would put themselves forward based on experience and skill set - not just an ego driven blowhard who wants a seat at the top table.

There’s nothing in the current set up of C1872 that guarantees the safety of the club if it owns 25.1%.

All it takes is the elected board member to side with the spiv. That’s it. The C1872 members just vote to elect the board member(s). That person then votes accordingly. You, the fan, don’t get a vote on the Rangers board.

Essentially with C1872 you’re paying and voting for 1-2 people to have enormous power. Individual fans truly owning shares and voting in a block is a far better idea.
The board member could only side with the Spiv if Club 1872 members voted for it.

From the FAQ’s on the site “It is the Club 1872 contributors who choose how to vote, not the Club 1872 Directors.”

Individual fans may or may not operate as block but I would rather have a mechanism where we could nominate an appropriate person to sit on the board to really understand what’s going on and influence decisions over the long term rather than just block things when it’s all gone to shite.

I think it's a fair assumption that Club 1872 aren't going to come up with the required money. It's what happens then that we need answers on.

I’m already contributing to C1872 and never want to see any type of spiv holding the club to ransom. Seems to me that it’s the personalities within C1872 and historical differences that are putting people off and also the money not going direct to the club. DKs shares and their value whatever he sells them for will never go to the club. At least this way we can ensure the shares don’t end up with a Charles Green type ever again.
The issues with C1872 can be resolved over time and with good governance scrutinised by its members.
In saying that I will wait until the AGM before deciding on taking up the legacy offer, more than like I will do so.

Dave King is a good guy and if he wants to sell to Gers fans then so be it. He's entitled to sell and the club are in a better place.

Every well meaning thread on club 1872 we have folk jumping in accusing them of all sorts and ridiculously bringing other fan groups some of which are defunct in to it though the current set up is far from perfect or transparent and I hadn't heard from them in months.

History has shown that our fans have a very low tolerance of fan groups and schemes and though some have had a bit of success for whatever reason there is never universal backing, accusations (often unfounded) and general apathy.

I get why the op is doing as he is. I also get why some are backing this. I've a feeling going by early reactions is that if they manage to buy 1/3 of kings shares they will be doing well.

I wish them luck but time will tell

I'd be more comfortable if I was forking out a large sum to be the owner of the shares myself in case I had to sell in future.

How can this be?

I'm unconvinced by the 'fan ownership' model in general but as a previous regular Club 1872 contributor I share the concern that they aren't the best run organisation. I just don't think they regularly achieve their goals with any conviction or engage well with their members.

It's an admirable goal trying to get to 25% plus one share but it's a big ask.

Back