I blame Scottish football

midlandbear

There’s a third side to this that many are missing here. There is such a toxic environment in our game that is structured to suit one club only, it’s easy to imagine people just getting sick of it and not wanting any part for much longer.
The SPFL have created such a laughable brand, with a bunch of clowns just making things up as they go along. They focus so much on making life difficult for all things Rangers, whilst the value of their product and infrastructure depletes.
If they spent even a fraction of that time trying improve the sport, the brand and the media packages, we would all be in a far better place and the attraction to our game would be enhanced.

Anyone would get sick of it after spending the majority of their life working in a real league that values its people and it’s product.

Pish. Absolute pish.

Gerrard fancies himself as Liverpool manager in the future. He's not getting a move straight from Ibrox to Anfield. Villa have owners who could buy our club with the change they keep in the dish on their bedside table. Gerrard is going because he thinks he'll get the resources to do well enough with Villa that it'll enhance his chances of getting an even bigger job in the future.

Some of the reactions to Gerrard going have been mad. Utterly mad. Heads gone material. Gerrard leaving seems to have broken some fans as much as 55 broke the mhanks.

I do think when a situation like this occurs, it highlights how much Scottish Football holds us back. We have so much going for us at the moment yet Gerrard feels the need to go to a struggling Aston Villa. Also at the top of many people’s wish list would be Graham Potter and unbelievably we are not in a position to pinch the Brighton manager.

We are at a point in time when we cannot afford to hire a manager or buy a player from the premier league.

There’s a third side to this that many are missing here. There is such a toxic environment in our game that is structured to suit one club only, it’s easy to imagine people just getting sick of it and not wanting any part for much longer.
The SPFL have created such a laughable brand, with a bunch of clowns just making things up as they go along. They focus so much on making life difficult for all things Rangers, whilst the value of their product and infrastructure depletes.
If they spent even a fraction of that time trying improve the sport, the brand and the media packages, we would all be in a far better place and the attraction to our game would be enhanced.

Anyone would get sick of it after spending the majority of their life working in a real league that values its people and it’s product.

It's not just Scottish football though, is it?

The top managers, from Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Portugal etc etc , have all been attracted to the finance of the EPL.

You can thank SKY for flooding it with money and artificially manufacturing a so called Super League.
Prior to that, Rangers were the biggest club in Britain and could more than compete in transfers for all the top English players.

Pish. Absolute pish.

Gerrard fancies himself as Liverpool manager in the future. He's not getting a move straight from Ibrox to Anfield. Villa have owners who could buy our club with the change they keep in the dish on their bedside table. Gerrard is going because he thinks he'll get the resources to do well enough with Villa that it'll enhance his chances of getting an even bigger job in the future.

Some of the reactions to Gerrard going have been mad. Utterly mad. Heads gone material. Gerrard leaving seems to have broken some fans as much as 55 broke the mhanks.

He can't buy Villa out of the league position.

Too little too late. 16th in the league with 10 points.

Best chance is keeping them up from a relegation battle.

Just the general running of the game is so poor in Scotland.
I googled now many leagues use VAR in their domestic league and it's staggering how many, even 2nd divisions in some countries.

I honestly wanted them down before he went there I absolutely want them down now.
His pish about loving the club or this is just the beginning and his stupid question jibe at Emma Dodds the other week are things that are annoying me. But more importantly we have a load of big important games coming up and he has left us in the shitter.

I do think when a situation like this occurs, it highlights how much Scottish Football holds us back. We have so much going for us at the moment yet Gerrard feels the need to go to a struggling Aston Villa. Also at the top of many people’s wish list would be Graham Potter and unbelievably we are not in a position to pinch the Brighton manager.

We are at a point in time when we cannot afford to hire a manager or buy a player from the premier league.

A Scottish club will never be able to buy a player from the premier league unless they’re out of favour again

I hate Scottish football and its tinpot stuff on and off the park.

It will never be the EPL, but absolutely no-one remotely tries to improve or progress things. It's an embarassing backwater, stuck in a bitter clueless rut.

There is a reason it gets f.uck all tv money. It doesn't deserve a penny more. Why should it?!

What do you expect with the richest and biggest league in the world on our doorstep .we should be looking to exploit it by getting the best upcoming talent in management and players and selling them on to the epl and making tens of millions of pounds in the process.this isn’t 86 anymore epl clubs can take whoever they want from Scottish football at a drop of a hat

I see this place hasn't calmed down much overnight.

1. Literally nothing has happened yet and not has anything been said by anyone in the actual know. Press can say whatever they want, we all know Howe that can turn out.

2. If he goes, it will be with a huge amount of appreciation for the job he has done. So much negatitity seeing it as a slight against us somehow. It is NOT all about us. It's not about money, or football. Sometimes there is more to life, and we know Gerrard currently has an 8 hour round trip every time he wants to see his young family and has had that for over 3 years now! His wife (let alone his kids) must hat that. A move to Birmingham means he could possibly justify living in his family home or at worst an hour or so from his family home and his kids.

With his kids going to school and him working every weekend, he will be feeling like he barely ever sees them - it would be impossible for him not to.

So let's all stop the jilted lover routine like we are being betrayed and simply accept that there is more to life than football.

Nothing has happened yet, but I have zero doubt that IF anything happens, this will be Gerrard primary motivation, and you know what? Fair enough!

Scottish football is the absolute pits in so many ways. It annoys me seeing players and now managers leave us to go to far lesser clubs which play in far superior leagues. I know it will never happen, but the dream of Rangers playing in the English league system is something I'd still absolutely love to see come to fruition one day.

Shite before Gerrard, shite whens he's gone

Scottish Football will never change.

Sky have alot to answer for with the obscene money paid in transfers and wages down south

Managers will leave almost every other league in world football to go work in the EPL. It’s considered to be the best and of course the wages are bonkers.

I honestly wanted them down before he went there I absolutely want them down now.
His pish about loving the club or this is just the beginning and his stupid question jibe at Emma Dodds the other week are things that are annoying me. But more importantly we have a load of big important games coming up and he has left us in the shitter.
I agree.At first I had sympathy for Gerrard, family, lack of funds etc.Now, having slept on it(badly I might add) I see it for what it really is.First grade shithousery and more. It's the sly way it's been done and how he's left us with a mountain to climb while giving the opposition a smile as wide as the Clyde. You can only hope Wilson pulls a rabbit out of the hat and soon.

I agree OP that the SPL and SFA and vast majority of print mhedia, TV and radio are pro scum and Rangers are seen as a prime target for negativity and attacks

Factor in the SNP and their one way crusade on sectarianism and ignoring the numerous issues within the scum support and outpouring of support for the IRA etc

Gerrard must have been sick of it and in his first game v Sheep he commented on the way we are treated

This doesn’t excuse Gerrard leaving us mid season and that’s a sore one for us all to take but I genuinely think this is a factor as the country is a cesspit for nationalism and pro CFC

Look at the way our Covid breach players were punished.

The scum in Dubai breached multiple Covid rules. Came back with 2 positive Covid cases and the SFA and SPL did nothing to punish the club or players

The mhedia were trying to protect them too during the height of Covid

Our footballing authorities are not fit for purpose - ffs look at the SFA whitewash into the child abuse and another example of Bheast FC being protected given they have had 6 employees convicted for CSA and no sanctions from the football authorities

No wonder some people can’t stomach the place but again I’m not condoning Gerrard leaving us like this mid season when we have so much at stake

He's got a January transfer window coming up and owners who are willing to spend money.

Best will in the world but why can't he buy players to improve their league position? Of if he's some kind of management genius that we can't replace then why won't he have them playing better?

Pish. Absolute pish.

I actually think he would have got the move directly.

Obviously the first measure would be what he does as a manager in turning around our huge club on and off the park, winning trophies and the remarkable results in europe he achieved. Had he won another league, a couple of cups and shown up reasonably well in the CL next season that would have got him the job because of who he is to Liverpool.

If it were anyone else but Gerrard I would agree with you.

For all the shite people talk about Scottish football.

It's glasgow where it matters everything revolves around here. Rangers and that lot make Scottish football.

Scottish football may have many many many flaws but I'd rather it every day that money run nonsense that goes on down south. Half n half scarf wankers.

It may be poorly ran but it's our club and support that make it what it is. Its a way of life unknown to that down South in its Unique ways off the field.

To say it as a cause is just defending a man who is looking out for number 1. Which is no way to treat us our our club. Regardless of Scottish footballs flaws.

He's got a January transfer window coming up and owners who are willing to spend money.

Best will in the world but why can't he buy players to improve their league position
? Of if he's some kind of management genius that we can't replace then why won't he have them playing better?

If you turn a newspaper upside down at the league tables, he should be close to the top at the end of the season regardless who he buys

He's not leaving because its shite.
It was shite when he came and he knew that.
We offered him an opportunity and he took it.
He must believe he is moving to bigger things.
Time will tell if he is making the right choice!
It's the timing that all wrong.

Scottish football is done, we’ll be competing in the Conference league in 10 years, dropped from the Europa dreaming of past CL games. The Cost of Football guy said a while back when the ELP first started Man Utd had the highest revenue in the UK followed by Rangers. Look how much we’ve been left behind today!

If you turn a newspaper upside down at the league tables, he should be close to the top at the end of the season regardless who he buys

So in other words, Gerrard can't improve things at Villa because although he's the bestest manager in the whole wide world that Rangers absolutely can't replace, he can't improve things at Villa because "he just can't".

Thats fine then.

I'm surprised so many people are so upset at such a piss poor manager leaving Rangers when it's absolutely clear that he's not good enough to improve things at Villa.

Scottish football is reflective of Scotland in general. We can’t stand back and say we are perfect and everyone else is wrong. Social media has not helped one bit, an incident that would maybe have been discussed in the pub for an hour after the game is now being dissected sometimes a decade later by maybe 10,000 people.

I agree OP that the SPL and SFA and vast majority of print mhedia, TV and radio are pro scum and Rangers are seen as a prime target for negativity and attacks

Factor in the SNP and their one way crusade on sectarianism and ignoring the numerous issues within the scum support and outpouring of support for the IRA etc

Gerrard must have been sick of it and in his first game v Sheep he commented on the way we are treated

This doesn’t excuse Gerrard leaving us mid season and that’s a sore one for us all to take but I genuinely think this is a factor as the country is a cesspit for nationalism and pro CFC

Look at the way our Covid breach players were punished.

The scum in Dubai breached multiple Covid rules. Came back with 2 positive Covid cases and the SFA and SPL did nothing to punish the club or players

The mhedia were trying to protect them too during the height of Covid

Our footballing authorities are not fit for purpose - ffs look at the SFA whitewash into the child abuse and another example of Bheast FC being protected given they have had 6 employees convicted for CSA and no sanctions from the football authorities

No wonder some people can’t stomach the place but again I’m not condoning Gerrard leaving us like this mid season when we have so much at stake
If/when Gerrard does go i would hope that he opens his mouth to the English press about the goings on up here in this corrupt shithole

What utter bollocks.

We won the league by 25 points last year. He has the biggest support in the country, a squad superior to any other team in the league. He is working with a dedicated bunch of players every single day.

We all know the downsides of Scottish football but he hasn't been hounded out of Scotland like Souness was.

Let's be clear, he is leaving us in the lurch because a midtable English premiership side has came calling and he has been seduced by the budget he will have available.

He could have won a treble this season and sampled managing in the Champions League not fighting a relegation battle.

A league that values its peopl? 5 managers sacked by November? Aye, valued indeed.

It would be handy if Scottish fitba went bankrupt. Think the precedent in other countries, is the surviving teams join the nearest professional league. England here we come. :cool:

Give your head a shake

1. Literally nothing has happened yet and not has anything been said by anyone in the actual know. Press can say whatever they want, we all know Howe that can turn out.

2. If he goes, it will be with a huge amount of appreciation for the job he has done. So much negatitity seeing it as a slight against us somehow. It is NOT all about us. It's not about money, or football. Sometimes there is more to life, and we know Gerrard currently has an 8 hour round trip every time he wants to see his young family and has had that for over 3 years now! His wife (let alone his kids) must hat that. A move to Birmingham means he could possibly justify living in his family home or at worst an hour or so from his family home and his kids.

With his kids going to school and him working every weekend, he will be feeling like he barely ever sees them - it would be impossible for him not to.

So let's all stop the jilted lover routine like we are being betrayed and simply accept that there is more to life than football.

Nothing has happened yet, but I have zero doubt that IF anything happens, this will be Gerrard primary motivation, and you know what? Fair enough!
Totally agree.

For what it's worth, I do think losing Walter may have brought there being more to life than football into focus for Gerrard too.

Blaming Scottish football for Gerrard furthering his career?

You’re right - we can’t offer what he can have down south. But the rest of the stuff you post is just delusion.

I mean we are all aware of the failings of the league up here, but Gerrard isn’t the first player/manager to be wowed by the bright lights and cash of the EPL and he won’t be the last either.

We just need to get on with it and employ people who are committed and want to be here.

I agree.At first I had sympathy for Gerrard, family, lack of funds etc.Now, having slept on it(badly I might add) I see it for what it really is.First grade shithousery and more. It's the sly way it's been done and how he's left us with a mountain to climb while giving the opposition a smile as wide as the Clyde. You can only hope Wilson pulls a rabbit out of the hat and soon.
Whats sly about it?

He got approached, asked the club for permission to speak to them, it was granted, he spoke with them.

A mountain to climb? He's leaving the club in the best position any incoming manager has ever had at Ibrox.

It's not just Scottish football though, is it?

The top managers, from Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Portugal etc etc , have all been attracted to the finance of the EPL.

You can thank SKY for flooding it with money and artificially manufacturing a so called Super League.
Prior to that, Rangers were the biggest club in Britain and could more than compete in transfers for all the top English players.
It is precisely Scottish football that is the problem specifically it’s corrupt govenance.Decisions about the game here are made where the key driver is how it will affect one club and one club only.The lack of honesty, intimidation of referees, textgate,the Compliance officer system and the the hatred shown by many clubs towards Rangers with the apparent indifference of the rest must be major factors when the Gaffer makes up his mind on where he sees his future.He sees that it will take him twice as long to achieve his goals here as a result of the above. We as a club have made huge strides in returning our finances to where they once were but Covid has knocked us all back.
Three years living away from his wife and family may be as much as he is willing to sacrifice.
If he does leave I wish the best of good fortune. All he has to do is get his new charges in to a position to be considered meaning full challengers to the top six big clubs without the mill stone of the SFA/SPFL around his neck

Sometimes I wish we applied the the EFL back in 2012 and worked our way through the ranks down there. We would be in the Premier League by now. With the tv/prize revenue, the global exposure and our fanbase we would be competitive as well.

For me it is about ambition SG has made no secret of taking on the Liverpool job.
Apart from the money available to him on the back of the EPLSky deal with Villa he won't be competing for the title be lucky to get topsix.
Where as if he stays here he wins the league and automatic entry to test himself against the big boys in the Champions League.
That is the experience that the Liverpool fans want as well as the Board.

Not just the spfl mate, it comes from the very top in Scotland, we have so called politicians who seem to spend every waking moment putting the boot into us whilst the country they're supposed to run turns to dugmeat, don't even get me started on the mhedia.
Anyone not from here and coming to Rangers must think wtf is this place the way these haters act toward us.
From the top down they don't see what an utter embarrassment they are.

Great Post. 100% right.

I doubt anyone whose shown the lights of the EPL would want to stay to play the same hammer throwers 4, 5, 6 times a year on plastic pitches in an environment where everyone wants to fail.

Some proper toys out the pram stuff on this thread.

Managers come and go. Always have, always will. Even Sir Walter went all those years ago, granted he got to the opportunity over a decade later to finish up in a way we couldn't write a script for, but that's the exception not the rule.

Villa spent more on one player in the summer than Gerrard has had to spend in his whole time at Ibrox.

He was heading into a January transfer window in a position where he was likely going to see his squad weakened rather than have resources to strengthen it.

Sadly nowadays even a team like Villa are a bigger draw than us just because they're in the EPL.

He's going into December against Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool & Leicester as opposed to staying here and going up against St Mirren and Dundee.

When the day comes that Rangers and Celtic supporters can accept they have lost the upper hand because the other one is currently better Scottish football will be a better place.

Sometimes I wish we applied the the EFL back in 2012 and worked our way through the ranks down there. We would be in the Premier League by now. With the tv/prize revenue, the global exposure and our fanbase we would be competitive as well.

Was a complete non starter

Gerrard has never made a secret of the fact he wants to be back at Liverpool as manager, and so Rangers were always a stepping stone to that end. I think we all got that from day one. SG is a determined character and the antics of the Scottish media would have been no more than a very minor passing distraction for him. Now he sees Aston Villa as another step towards an eventual return to Anfield. I hope he knows what he's doing as it could all quite easily go pear-shaped for him there
- and Hell mend him if it does.

That's what it for me also. I think he has made himself look like he is a guy who you cant trust how word as he is more than likely talking bullshit. He will have left us in the lurch for a team in the Premier league that are 16th!! That's not for me an attractive proposition and instead a massive career failure for him and I do hope if he leaves he does relegate them and is eventually sacked.

Back