I feel sorry for the Standard goalkeeper - but just a little.

Was actually a decent goalie - nearly got to Tav's penalty though he surely moved. Brilliant pen from Tav but solar and lunar eclipsed combined by Kemar's wonder goal

Well at least he never skudded into the post which he seems to be more concerned about than actually attempting to stop the ball.

The way his team and backroom staff carried on,at the end of the march!
Sorry zero sympathy here.

Being a bit harsh on the boy, U21 Belgian international so way well to go on to have a very good career.

Will learn not to be caught exposed so off his line in future i'd imagine.

Must be something about us being able to score from long distance against Belgian keepers

I don't feel sorry for him. A wonder goal got the better of him. If he's got the right psychology, he'll get over it. Don't feel pity for the opposition, just enjoy it, and thank heavens you're not being pitied yourself.

Yeah I've got some sympathy too. It's a career defining moment for Roofe. But equally in a negative way, so is it also for the keeper. Must be every goalies worst nightmare.

Watching it again... and again... and again... :)) as I have. I actually think he might just have been able to get a touch on it (whether he would have saved it is another matter), but he was careering for the goalpost head first at some speed, and he's had to abort or he could have done himself some real damage.

If he had been braver (and I'm not saying he should have) and somehow managed to tip it over the bar then clattered the post, we might be here talking about what could possibly have been the best save ever, rather than the best goal ever. Or worse, a footballing tragedy.

But, c'est la vie. And all the glory, rightfully so, goes to the victor.

Tell you what though, between this goal and the one he scored for Oxford, it will be a brave goalie that plays sweeper keeper too far off his line, when he's on the pitch, from now on.

Last edited:
You dont see many goals like that and I'm proud we done it. When reading the match thread at the goal, I though the chaps on here were slightly exaggerating a bit.

Once somebody put the goal up, it was a lot better than I thought and the fact so many round the globe are talking about it, makes it even better.

Sorry, back to the thread about the keeper. F**k him and his team

Can any goalies out there answer, is letting in a goal from the other half the ultimate shame for a goalie?
No.

Given the time of the game and the state of the pitch he is quite rightly pushed up the pitch as his team chase an equaliser.

It may make him look foolish but he is playing percentages and was in the right position.

He has been beaten by a goal of sheer quality made possible by the determination and vision of Roofe, not by his positioning.

I feel for the guy going up the tunnel behind the goal. He's in the middle of leaving as the ball is travelling, see's it's going in and thinks 'feck it, I'm off'

Will he even be remembered for anything else other than Roofes goal against him. Probably not.
Don't think it was that bad on the keepers end just well off his line .The David Seaman one was horrendous for him not that far out but just had a flap at it . Worst in history in my eyes .
Which brings me to borat at Windsor Park .Holy wasn't with the goalie that night :))

Back