I feel very privileged to have lived through the 90's

I got my first season ticket in 91 when I was 18.

By f*ck I enjoyed that era, but looking back now I wish I'd appreciated it more at the time

Got my first season ticket for the 92/93 season. Quite an auspicious start. The 90's were great. It felt like the good times would never end and I couldn't conceive of Rangers not winning the league.

It really was the best of times to grow up being a Ranger. However on the flip side not getting 10 over the line knocked me sideways for an age.

My introduction to Rangers started in 1992. Have been in love ever since. 90s Rangers are amongst some of my favourite memories. Trying to recreate goals scored by Super Ally, Gazza, Laudrup, Hateley, Gough, Durrant as a kid playing in the street.... loved it

I left school the summer Souness arrived and completely transformed our team and club. Having been bang average at best all through secondary school and never getting slightly close to winning the league, to that 1st season under him and all the way through to 2000 was just an unbelievable time. Could almost count on one hand the amount of domestic games i missed through 9IAR. All through my 20s during that 90s decade was the best of times. Never better that ,for me anyway. 92/93 my personal favourite season but god almighty, they were all pretty much fantastic. My wee fella is 20 later this year and hasn't really seen us have success. Was just a boy when we last won the league. I'd love his 20s to be like mine. His and all the young bears. It'll come around again lads, and when it does, you won't believe it, you really won't.

Same as me mate but I think you had to be going to watch Rangers during the 80,s to truly appreciate the 90,'s

I was going from 83 onwards, first Cup final in 84, finishing 5th in 85/86, you just knew the day Souness was unveiled as our manager that something special was about to happen for us.

I think it's worse for those who've lived through the glory years and specifically total domination of celtic because they know what they're missing. I'm 42 and support Newcastle. I've never seen us win a trophy before but it's never really bothered me because I don't know any different. In fact I reckon if and when the day actually happens it'll be one huge anti climax!

I don't want to come across as cheeky.

However, first and foremost you are a football fan. Football fans have and needs fantasies about where they want their club to be. What they desire their club to win.

Ashley has even robbed that from the magpie.

You need to rid your club of that piece of filth.

I got my first season ticket in 87 for section red in the Govan. Then moved to the east enclosure when they became available as originally you couldn't get an enclosure season ticket.
Looking back it was an incredible time. Only regret is some of the poor European runs.

The nineties for me are tinged with so many different memories and angles and opinions.

On the eve of a game against the filth I'd be on the phone to my old man. The conversation usually went something like this'

My old man - well what do think tomorrow?

Me - I want to hump them

My old man - one more goal than them will do me.

Me- Naw, I want to hump them because we have better players in every part of the field, we should be treating this sh1te the way we would Albion Rovers.

My old man - One more goal than them will do me.

Guess who is the wise sage?

Cos it ain't me.

That decade was a missed opportunity.

A fantastic time, think I missed 5 matches in a 15 year period. It was incredible to witness it all live as it happened.

Last edited:
Just a great time - in my teens and 20's, Rangers winning, singing without fear.

No amount of fhilth Muttley medals, tainted titles or Mickey Mouse trebles will ever touch what we did to them back then. Laudrup, Gascoigne and the rest. No contest. They know it and it’s a big part of why they’re so obsessed with us. The 90’s absolutely broke them.

I don't want to come across as cheeky.

However, first and foremost you are a football fan. Football fans have and needs fantasies about where they want their club to be. What they desire their club to win.

Ashley has even robbed that from the magpie.

You need to rid your club of that piece of filth.

Doesn't come across cheeky at all mate and you are right in what you say. I've all but washed my hands of that club now anyway. Cancelled my season ticket and don't go to any games nowadays.

The fans have disappointed me almost as much as Ashley. The lack of any effort at all to remove him but fans groups who have tried to get him out of the club have been hit with more hostility from the general fanbase than Ashley ever has.

Even if he sold up tomorrow I doubt I'd go back. I've got very little in common with the average NUFC supporter these days. Nothing like the crowd I grew up with in the 80s and 90s.

post cold war, pre 911.. 9IAR..

before china effed up the environment.

Indeed, a great decade.

Doesn't come across cheeky at all mate and you are right in what you say. I've all but washed my hands of that club now anyway. Cancelled my season ticket and don't go to any games nowadays.

The fans have disappointed me almost as much as Ashley. The lack of any effort at all to remove him but fans groups who have tried to get him out of the club have been hit with more hostility from the general fanbase than Ashley ever has.

Even if he sold up tomorrow I doubt I'd go back. I've got very little in common with the average NUFC supporter these days. Nothing like the crowd I grew up with in the 80s and 90s.

And that is so sad. A support that cannot or will not confront what has happened to them.

And that is so sad. A support that cannot or will not confront what has happened to them.

NUFCs support has changed beyond recognition this past 20 years. Before then the support was fanatical and fiercely passionate. Away teams and their fans didn't like coming up here. Every away manager used to start his team talk by saying calm the crowd down first.

Nowadays the hardcore have long since stopped going. The atmosphere is non existent and SJP is a totally soulless, sterile stadium. Away teams don't need to quieten the crowd as it's totally dead straight from kick off. Away fans can take the piss and act themselves in and around the city without any reprisals when there was a time where away fans were welcomed but if they caused any bother they'd be guaranteed a spell in the RVI.

It's basically a shell of a club now. I wouldn't shed a tear if they just closed the whole thing down.

I am surprised I made it through the ninetys!! The amount of alcohol etc consumed while watching Rangers march to glory was incredible.
great days at the stadium, great days / nights at the pub watching away games.
Got home in some mess more times than I remember

I went through school and only remember Rangers not winning the league once. It was a great time. Must be hard for kids at secondary school these days.

NUFCs support has changed beyond recognition this past 20 years. Before then the support was fanatical and fiercely passionate. Away teams and their fans didn't like coming up here. Every away manager used to start his team talk by saying calm the crowd down first.

Nowadays the hardcore have long since stopped going. The atmosphere is non existent and SJP is a totally soulless, sterile stadium. Away teams don't need to quieten the crowd as it's totally dead straight from kick off. Away fans can take the piss and act themselves in and around the city without any reprisals when there was a time where away fans were welcomed but if they caused any bother they'd be guaranteed a spell in the RVI.

It's basically a shell of a club now. I wouldn't shed a tear if they just closed the whole thing down.
I was at St James`s in the Gallowgate in 2017 when Joselu equalised against Liverpool(after a brilliant Coutinho strike)....... place was jumping.
Even better in autumn 2018 at a North Shields WMC was the gathering of Newcastle and Rangers players in commemoration of the Fairs Cup semi finals of 68/69.
I was one of a few Rangers supporters there;around 800 people attended;I had the best of nights.
What I`m trying to say mate; is you`re at a low point just now,but stop beating yourself up.
It`s obvious you love your club;right now you`re out of love with them; with good reason.
It`s plain for all of us Bears to see you`re angry;but your love for them won`t die.
I wish you rid of him and better times ahead.

Back