I have never felt so low.

Proud of the team and a magnificent achievement getting to the final against all the odds......Heads up peeps and onward to Saturday and Scottish cup glory, time to bring the old girl home as its been a while.

Woke up to an absolute nightmare. How the %^*& did we end up losing to one of the worst teams in the competition we faced.
Absolutely gutted.

I think that’s very harsh on Frankfurt, they went unbeaten in the tournament and won 6/7 away from home including at the Nou Camp and at West Ham.

I do think that on their day Leipzig for example are a better side and that Frankfurt were beatable but they were certainly of better quality than most of the teams we faced in the run.

Absolutely gutted.

Barely even want to read threads on here to pass time.

You have to consider, we might never get that close again in our lifetimes, and that’s hard to take.

Not sure I want to rewatch the pen, but from behind the goal, it looked like he changed his mind late on.

Gut wrenching.

To be honest, I’d go back to Dortmund STB.

We’ve been punching since that fantastic night in the Westfalen.

Even after beating Dortmund I never thought for a minute we'd get to the final.

Red Star were a fantastic team, I thought we'd peaked after getting through that round.

After the poor 1st leg performance v Braga I thought that was it, getting to the semi final was a fantastic achievement.

You always have a chance over 90 minutes of beating anyone but a 2 leg tie v Leipzig was a round to far, or so I thought.

Absolutely gutted.

Barely even want to read threads on here to pass time.

You have to consider, we might never get that close again in our lifetimes, and that’s hard to take.

Not sure I want to rewatch the pen, but from behind the goal, it looked like he changed his mind late on.

Gut wrenching.

It's a proper sore one.

Strength in numbers.

Keep on trucking.

I’m someone that doesn’t struggle with sleep.

But last night was the worst I’ve ever slept by a long way.

Tossing and turning, roasting one minute, cold the next. I will never get over that.

Let’s make some sort of amends and lift that fucking Scottish Cup on Saturday.

I felt worse after the 2008 final, probably because I was 25 and naïve.

I was better prepared for not winning this time around but it's still a very sore one to take.

It was such a good chance to do something really, really special.

Even after beating Dortmund I never thought for a minute we'd get to the final.

Red Star were a fantastic team, I thought we'd peaked after getting through that round.

After the poor 1st leg performance v Braga I thought that was it, getting to the semi final was a fantastic achievement.

You always have a chance over 90 minutes of beating anyone but a 2 leg tie v Leipzig was a round to far, or so I thought.

Spot on mate.

It’s been an INCREDIBLE journey.

I’ve been in tears today as it’s sunk in, but I’ll never ever lose my love of our club, or my pride in what we have achieved.

We do need, and absolutely deserve, to take silverware from this season.

Trying to put some perspective on the match this morning:
- Both goals resulted from defensive mistakes.
- Both teams were guilty of snatching at what you'd consider to be good chances to score, them especially early on and us later in the game.
- We were maybe a bit lucky to avoid Goldson conceding a penalty (at least according to the BT ref), although can't recall what the score was at the time...
- We looked the more likely in extra time, but Frankfurt defended well and have a good keeper.
- We lucked out in the final being in 30+ degrees, combined with the diabolical water situation, which flattened our fans. Maybe the Germans fans were better prepared for the situation from their matches against Barcelona?

Trying to put some perspective on the match this morning:
- Both goals resulted from defensive mistakes.
- Both teams were guilty of snatching at what you'd consider to be good chances to score, them especially early on and us later in the game.
- We were maybe a bit lucky to avoid Goldson conceding a penalty (at least according to the BT ref), although can't recall what the score was at the time...
- We looked the more likely in extra time, but Frankfurt defended well and have a good keeper.
- We lucked out in the final being in 30+ degrees, combined with the diabolical water situation, which flattened our fans. Maybe the Germans fans were better prepared for the situation from their matches against Barcelona?
Mcgregor didn’t have a lot of saves to make in 120 mins.

Seeing my wife and twin girl bounce abut when Aribo scored will live with me forever

She’s t total so wasn’t pished

How did we not get it over the line I’m baffled

Feel a bit bad for people when they come out with stuff like this

last night was seriously disappointing and I was and still am absolutely gutted but please try think of other good things in life, family friends hobby anything, placing all your happiness on a bunch of guys you have no control over will leave you seriously down constantly

The world has stood up and took notice of us no matter what happened last night, what a run we had against all the odds, be proud of the team and fk the people giving us stick, it’s just jealousy

Get a grip. Much worst things will happen in life and football.
I was certainly more disappointed by 1979 at Parkhead, 2016 cup final, the whole 2012 saga.
Cup to be won on Saturday!

We got fucked off Motherwell in a play off
Lost a Ramsdens Cup Final
And looked like a pub team v Inverness

You will be fine TBH
Motherwell playoff was the first place my head went when trying to compare to last nights pain.

I think that playoff was worse for various reasons and the hurt and pain from that lasted most of that summer.

I’m someone that doesn’t struggle with sleep.

But last night was the worst I’ve ever slept by a long way.

Tossing and turning, roasting one minute, cold the next. I will never get over that.

Let’s make some sort of amends and lift that fucking Scottish Cup on Saturday.
Exact same here. Took melatonin last night and still woke up four hours later with thoughts immediately turning to the game and then the depression setting in.

You can't appreciate the highs if you don't experience the lows.

Just look at the last 10 years for evidence of that. It's a sore one to take but there are so many positives from the last couple of years alone and that has to be the focus now.

Spot on mate.

It’s been an INCREDIBLE journey.

I’ve been in tears today as it’s sunk in, but I’ll never ever lose my love of our club, or my pride in what we have achieved.

We do need, and absolutely deserve, to take silverware from this season.

Hard to believe we've not won the cup since 2009 and only made one final in all that time, we have to win on Saturday, it'd be a sore one to finish this season empty handed.

The pain is starting to ease a bit as now i can reflect on the incredible run and in the end we were unlucky, we gave it a go and lost on the lottery of penalties. I will be avoiding the news and social media (apart from here) though as cant face seeing any highlights of last night or any of our haters opinions.

Call me whatever you like. I honestly can't get over this.
Over in Faro airport mate, flight delayed probably have to stay in London now overnight.
I’m I down, wee bit but so effin proud of our team and support, this is what you are apart off , get the chest out and stand proud on Saturday weeman .

People love it when fans fully commit to living and breathing football - “Rangers is a way of life”, “We’re not a plastic club in a tourist league”.

Then when they share their understandable emotions it’s “man up”, “get a grip”. Maybe next someone should say “it’s only a game”.

People love it when fans fully commit to living and breathing football - “Rangers is a way of life”, “We’re not a plastic club in a tourist league”.

Then when they share their understandable emotions it’s “man up”, “get a grip”. Maybe next someone should say “it’s only a game”.
It is only a game and it is a way of life.

That is the paradoxical nature of being a fan.

IIts really sad to end the way it did, we have punched majorly above our weight, with our squad we shouldn't be anywhere near a Europa final imo but we got there and deserved to be there.

I actually felt worse after the league Cup final strangely.

We need to win know Saturday then then next target is getting into the champions league, if we can do that we will start to recover from this.

We also need a summer rebuild.

Being in Germany just now isn't great. It's going to feel worse even later once images start percolating of the Frankfurt team arriving back and partying at the Römer.

Gutted we lost the game, but there's also a sadness that the European run is over. It was such a magical time to be a Rangers fan, and gives you a high that domestic football just can't.

The Champions League is the place to be but there seems to be a really special relationship developing with the club and the Europa. Who knows if it'll be the last time we see our team in the final.

I felt worse after the 2008 final, probably because I was 25 and naïve.

I was better prepared for not winning this time around but it's still a very sore one to take.

It was such a good chance to do something really, really special.
I think this is worse, being older it's sunk in that I might not get to see us in another Euro final.
Yeh 14 years since Manchester but it was 36 years back to the CupWCup in 72. There have been better Rangers teams in the past with guys Like Laudrup, Gazza, Gio, Mols, Hough etc who never got near a final.

Grateful we got to the final, but a big opportunity missed as UEFA changing the format in 2 years time will make it even harder for clubs outwith the big 5 leagues to get there. Even a middle sized team from Germany like Frankfurt will find it tougher.

Enough rambling and looking at the board today its not helping the disappointment. Need to go and do something else forget about football.
Safe journey home to all the fans travelling back.

Our bus on the way back to Algarve was flat totally sick, had we set up and went for it I could accept getting beat last night was on the manager his defensively tactics and wrong personnel to go for a win was baffling.

Was gutted after the game. But then reflected where we have come from and how well we handled that game. We can kick on from this. It isn’t failing that defines us it is how we bounce back.

Nothing we can’t do if we are behind the team. This isn’t an ending more a beginning. We know where we can get to what good looks like in Europe. We need to keep pushing on and pushing the club.

Much to be positive about and love. Yesterday we showed we really are the people.

I’m with the OP. I’m in my 50s and this is without question the worst ever. Closest we will ever come to winning a European trophy in modern football we’ll get. I’m still dazed by it all.

It was there, the opponents beatable and everything set. 20 minutes away, a goalkeepers save away, a mishit penalty away. Then the rewards for success and the consequences of loss hit you.

Not going to lie, this will take me a long time to process.

Maybe it's just us 50 year olds who are really struggling with last night.
Away to the beach to look at topless women to try and cheer up!

Maybe it's just us 50 year olds who are really struggling with last night.
Away to the beach to look at topless women to try and cheer up!
I’m 54. A lot to be happy about as a Rangers fan today. Have to take the positives out of this. Our journey back took a step forward with this seasons Euro campaign.

Easy to focus on the negatives but we went within a whisker. We weren’t humped.

For me, it was just typical Rangers. Do all the hard work, then hand the glory to someone else. Frankfurt are not as good as Dortmund or Leipzig. It was in our hands again at 1-0, and we threw it away.

Hard to accept but I can take solace coming on here and reading other bears thoughts knowing I'm not the only one. It helps.

Gutted we lost and those penalties was the most tense i have ever been. Bit of a weird one today as i dont feel as devastated as i thought i would. The whole experience has been amazing and winning would have been incredible but feel like we acheived well beyond any expectation and are truly back to being a big team in Europe.

Five European finals in my lifetime and only won one! Always well and truly gutted at each of the losses and last night was no different. However for some unknown reason the 1967 loss to Bayern Munich in ECWC final seems the worst for me. Maybe because we played really well in that game.

Last edited:
Back