I hope big Eck is keeping an eye on Bates

Bo'ness Bear

Having doubted him in the past, I think we could have a very talented defender on our hands. Other than one 'mistake' when he was muscled off the ball (fouled in my opinion) I think he was commanding and clever as well as showing really impressive distribution. At the moment Bates is one of the players exciting me the most and I think that if we do lose Martin and Alves in the summer, Bates and McCrorie could be an even better option, especially as they could be our central two for 10+ years. Well done young David.

Bates does what a defender is supposed to do he defends. I love big ginger Ramos. He is perfect for International football as well. Hope he gets the call as it will do his confidence the world of good.

Doing well but a lot to learn, especially in terms of when to attack the ball and when to sit.

He’s surprised me how much he’s kicked on and improved. No nonsense defending.

Doing well but a lot to learn, especially in terms of when to attack the ball and when to sit.

He’s surprised me how much he’s kicked on and improved. No nonsense defending.
It surprises me how people can see players so differently

Having doubted him in the past, I think we could have a very talented defender on our hands. Other than one 'mistake' when he was muscled off the ball (fouled in my opinion) I think he was commanding and clever as well as showing really impressive distribution. At the moment Bates is one of the players exciting me the most and I think that if we do lose Martin and Alves in the summer, Bates and McCrorie could be an even better option, especially as they could be our central two for 10+ years. Well done young David.
I hope big Eck doesn't darken our door regarding needing players for the SFA

I posted s thread today saying he should be included in McLeish next squad. I don' think he' put a foot wrong since he came into the team. His main issue was distribution which is getting better each game. We need to get him on a new contract

Got caught out badly at one point in the second half trying to play football at the right back area, nearly lost a goal from it! He just needs to do the simple things! He's doing ok and is still young and learning. Better options for us and Scotland, namely McCrorie! And possibly Aiden Wilson in time to come?

Last edited:
I must be one of few who just doesn't see it with Bates. He wins some headers but is a real bombscare on the ball. I genuinely get the fear whenever it's passed to him.

He has done well to plug a gap, but with Alves and McCrorie returning, I'd be surprised if he continued to start.

Talk of a Scotland call up is frankly bizarre.

I think he is very shaky with the ball at his feet and that was shown tonight when he made a bad mistake.

He also mistimed a fair few attempts at headers.

He has done well this season but we need to aim for a better player in there with McCrorie.

He's doing pretty well. His distribution is not the best, but he can improve on that. Good solid defender. Worth mentioning that he is only 21.

Got caught out badly at one point in the second half trying to play football at the right back area, nearly lost a goal from it! He just needs to do the simple things! He's doing ok and is still young and learning. Better options for us and Scotland, namely McCrorie! And possibly Aiden Wilson in time to came?

That is actually the incident I thought was a foul!

I do agree that McCrorie is a special talent, but Bates is showing that he is in the team on merit...oh, and did I mention that he is a goal threat..;)

url

Got caught out badly at one point in the second half trying to play football at the right back area, nearly lost a goal from it! He just needs to do the simple things! He's doing ok and is still young and learning. Better options for us and Scotland, namely McCrorie! And possibly Aiden Wilson in time to come?

The pass he was given that lead to that was a hospital ball in all honesty.

I must be one of few who just doesn't see it with Bates. He wins some headers but is a real bombscare on the ball. I genuinely get the fear whenever it's passed to him.

He has done well to plug a gap, but with Alves and McCrorie returning, I'd be surprised if he continued to start.

I just think him and Martin are quite shaky together in all honesty. In saying that, Bruno doesn't always fill me with confidence either.

Two centre backs should be a priority in the summer.

I thought that he and Martin along with Foderingham were our weak link tonight and didn't look comfortable with the set pieces and long throws into the box

That is actually the incident I thought was a foul!

I do agree that McCrorie is a special talent, but Bates is showing that he is in the team on merit...oh, and did I mention that he is a goal threat..;)

url

I'd love the big guy to kick on and become a rock steady 600 game legend! As for a goal threat!? He has got himself into good positions in the last couple of games! Was unlucky with the rebound from Docherty's shot off the bar against Hamilton and probably should have scored with a header against Hearts. Still looks a bit clumsy sometimes.

Hearing contract talks going well now. Sunderland’s horrendous form, imminent relegation and probable managers departure seems to have convinced the big ginge even with a barrel load of cash they aren’t the club for him.

He’s a good kid and has improved but he was poor tonight and he was poor against Hearts. I just wouldn’t play him at the moment.

Think he has dipped in form tbh and more and more mistakes creeping into his play.

Like Saturday lafferty dragged him into areas he should’ve stepped off but didn’t and did the same tonight following a striker almost to the half way line.

At last, we have a defender who can defend. The poster who thinks that David Bates could be good enough, at present, to play at international level might be prematurely optimistic. However, those who would like to see the back of David Bates must have experienced serious times of stress, when watching those who occupied our central defence position in recent seasons.

I don't see it either. Anything other than siege defending and he is constantly caught out. He may improve with age.

Bates for Scotland is definetely one of the more utterly mental shouts on here.

He should probably try get in the U21s squad first...

I agree mate. Decent cover but unfortunately not good enough in the long run.

Agree with this I think he is bullied of the ball far to easily and for someone so tall loses his fair share of headed challenges

Yeh I’m with you. He’s ok as cover but I just can’t see what most other people see in him. Never ready for international football. It’s all about opinions I suppose.

He's a player who could work alongside another good one. Him AND Martin for me is a dicey combination that I would NOT persevere with.

Alves should be in there without question if fit.

He does what the likes of Alves can’t seem
To manage to do, that’s his job. Defend!
Everything else is secondary to that.
Very impressed by the young man & long may it continue

There's half a dozen of our guys should be involved with the Scotland set up and Eck could do worse than copy Murty, if he can. Get the young guys in and build for the future...

Why do you want any of our players playing for scotland?
We pick up enough injuries as it is.

What’s the bet these friendlies that Celtic we’re going mental it is got our players in it and none from them.

The more Rangers players playing for Scotland the better. Experience of playing against the best in the world is a bad thing?
We as a club would benefit greatly from our players being involved...shop window, etc.

Bates could be a good squad player but he still has a lot to learn.

His game management needs to improve as does his distribution and touch.

His aggression and ability to win headers are good.

Hopefully he can kick on but he’s no where near McCrorie.

WATP

The more Rangers players playing for Scotland the better. Experience of playing against the best in the world is a bad thing?
We as a club would benefit greatly from our players being involved...shop window, etc.

And if they pick up a injury ??

Listening to the TA booing our players makes my stomach turn.

A lot of people within Scottish Football have been talking about Soutar & Berra at Hearts. If they are considered for call ups then so does Bates without a doubt. I dont think Bates is great tbh but he can do a job and wins everything in the air.

I’m with you. I would prefer better going into next season.

Back