I hope big Eck is keeping an eye on Bates

Bates might be ecks illegitimate son

Big - check
Ugly - check
Defender - check
Ginger - check
Bear - check

:D

Getting a game as a central defender for Scotland. There’s a low bar there so after a few decent games he’s probably not a million miles away.

I felt earlier in the season some of the criticism levelled against him was harsh. Some players seem to have the bar set higher than others when it comes to criticism......used to be Tav, then/still Windass and now Bates. All went through periods of getting unfairly chased out of Ibrox by a section of the support.

Bates knows how to defend. Some things still to be improved but that’s always the case at that age and i still see talented 30+ year old centre backs making mistakes. Rather than tattoo the odd error he makes to the front of our mind every time his name comes up in discussion we should sit back and judge his overall body of work this season....and overall he’s done well, very well for a guy of his limited experience.

There's clearly less competition to get a centre half spot for Scotland than there is for us, so I have no idea why so many feel he can't make the squad.

However, I personally believe with a couple of new defensive signings, we have a massive chance to win the league next season. No team wins a league shipping more than a goal a game. I'm still to be convinced that Bates can get us there despite clear improvements from when he first came in.

I don't see the hype with him, he's decent nothing more just giving my view, now big Ross mcrorie that's a player

A lot of focus on his play on the ball. It has improved a lot since his time last year and he still has loads of time to continue improving. It is still something he should be working hard on.

I wasn’t keen on him at all last season, I thought he was really poor. But this season I think he’s been really good defensively, seems to have good positional sense.

Deserves a lot of credit for improvements made, but still should have fight on hands to keep place when everyone is fit.

I have to say I'm a fan, Bates for me is the best defender at the club anytime he's up against physical players that we have struggled with in the past like Conor Sammon he absolutely bosses them, he's an old fashioned no-nonsense type defender that loves the physical side of the game, I have yet to see him struggle with an opponent and the potential is there, for me Bates is the first pick at the back now.
I'm sure Big Eck will be watching him closely.

Bates has kept a Clean Sheet in 6 matches out of the 11 that he's played in. = 55% Clean sheet ratio
Alves has kept a Clean Sheet in 7 matches out of the 15 that he's played in. = 47% Clean sheet ratio
Martin has kept a Clean Sheet in 3 matches out of the 7 that he's played in. = 43% Clean sheet ratio
D.Wilson has kept a Clean Sheet in 5 matches out of the 14that he's played in. = 36% Clean sheet ratio
Cardoso has kept a Clean Sheet in 4 matches out of the 11 that he's played in. = 35% Clean sheet ratio
McCrorie has kept a Clean Sheet in 5 matches out of the 16 that he's played in. = 31% Clean sheet ratio

Well, he has his own mug now - so it is only a matter of time!

(Great website by the way - some great gift ideas!)

http://www.thetbshop.com/product/ginger-ramos-mug

Bates_mug_mock.jpg
Ha ha! His own mug with somebody else’s name on it.
Just hope he doesn’t go on to have the same disciplinary record as Ramos.

Having doubted him in the past, I think we could have a very talented defender on our hands. Other than one 'mistake' when he was muscled off the ball (fouled in my opinion) I think he was commanding and clever as well as showing really impressive distribution. At the moment Bates is one of the players exciting me the most and I think that if we do lose Martin and Alves in the summer, Bates and McCrorie could be an even better option, especially as they could be our central two for 10+ years. Well done young David.
Nowhere near international level

Bates shows great promise for me, but he's definitely not the finished article yet.
He can look very nervy and sometimes makes mistakes when under pressure but the lad shows all the promise that he can become a fantastic Rangers player.

Bates shows great promise for me, but he's definitely not the finished article yet.
He can look very nervy and sometimes makes mistakes when under pressure but the lad shows all the promise that he can become a fantastic Rangers player.
Totally agree a decent work in progress.

Scotland have a real lack of quality at CB n terms of options. Danny Wilson should have been considered in the recent past so there is no reason why Bates cannot be called up although the press seem to be more pushing for McKenna (Sheep), Hendry who moved from Dundee to Beast FC and Souttar.

The boy is improving every week

Get him signed up to a long term deal

Him mccorie Docherty jack could all go into to be internationals next season

He should be nowhere near our team he gets caught under the ball all the time. He simply cant pass the ball.

Dont get why anybody rates him.

We have 2 other cbs that are much better.

Much better?

The way I look at it just now, we have a player who has been fairly solid, shored up the amount of goals we concede from set pieces, has a real presence and still has bags of potential. He's also been a constant and has a good level of fitness.

We have Martin, who has been nothing short of a bomb scare at times. We also have Alves, who don't get me wrong, is a talented player although he's getting on and in my opinion well over the hill now. Not through his own fault, he seems to be fairly injury prone in his older age and has been the most disappointing signing this year for me. On and off the park.

Not to forget the difference in wages between the two veterans and the new kid on the scene.

Value for money and performance wise. Bates ticks the box at present for me.

Back