I shed a tear tonight

Cooper 11

I shed a tear tonight, and dread to think the state I’ll be in when everything is signed, sealed and delivered whether that is this weekend or a few weeks later.

Ten years of emotion finally reIeased.

In 2011, I was in tears of disbelief as we watched the first seven minutes unfold at Rugby Park. I remember falling to the floor and turning to my mate after big Kyle hit the third shouting “Pinch me! Pinch me! I must be dreaming?” Little did we know about what was around the corner.

As Rangers fans we’ve suffered over the last ten years. You don’t need me to go over old ground of the absolute shit show we’ve endured. But to appreciate where we stand today, we do need to reflect on what we’ve come through.

I grew up during nine in a row and was accustomed to success. My dad on the other hand spent his watching the Tim’s doing theirs and warned me it wouldn’t always be like the ‘90’s. One of his favourite memories being the first league win since he was a boy. The day at Easter Road when Colin Stein scored and Sandy Jardine came off in the dying seconds so the injured John Grieg could be on the field when the referee blew for time up.

Tonight though, I was thinking about how my life has changed personally since 2011. My life, like many, looked very different the last time we tasted success. For me, the biggest thing would be getting married a few years ago. For others, it might be the first time we get to share our success with a son, daughter or a grandchild and explaining what all this means. Others may turn their thoughts to those no longer with us and raise a glass to absent friends.

My wife is Canadian and is completely oblivious as to the extent of the celebrations about to unfold. She’s really never had much interest in football, but over the last few weeks I’ve been prepping her. (Mostly so she doesn’t get pissed off at me when I disappear on a week long piss-up). However now she’s taking much more of an interest, asking about the next game, how many more points are needed, if Tav will be fit etc? Tonight I played the excellent ‘Believe’ video from Helipcopter Sunday for her and explained the significance of why that was such a special day for us. By the end of it, I had something in my eye, just thinking about the great days we’ve all shared before and since, what we’ve come through, what the Rangers mean to all of us.

We stand on the cusp of something amazing and don’t we deserve it. Sentimental pish maybe, but that is the power of our great club. Let us never take it for granted.

We are the fücking people

I’ll admit I got emotional when I seen the picture of the players at full time going over to the fans. It’s so clear to see on this board that Rangers are way more than a football team to us it’s a way of life we’ve dreamed about this for years we’ve been at our lowest we are now at the very best. I actually get butterflies in my stomach when I hear the words Glasgow Rangers Champions!

Similar boat to yourself. I'm a few years younger so just missed our 9, but my dad and the family moved back to Coatbridge a year or two before their's in the 60's. My dad starting going on the Gartcosh bus when he was about 15 and was there for the semi against Bayern, but my Gran wouldn't let him go to Barcelona with his cousin as he was too young. Came back up from London to be at Easter Rd in 75 and flew over from NY for the Motherwell game in 97 (obviously that backfired and he couldn't stay for Tannadice).

Whenever it becomes official, whether that is Sunday or in a couple weeks, I'll be on the phone with him as the final whistle goes wishing I was with him celebrating.

I never knew about Sandy being subbed for John Greig.

Thanks for sharing that OP.

Imagine FF if we did that now to get Tav on the pitch?
"Fùck sake, this is fùcking Rangers, nae room for this sentimental pish!"
"One sub at a time" or
"We haven't won anything yet"

I'm actually all for at the least naming Tav to the bench on the 21st. And if we are a couple goals up bring him on for stoppage time.

I’ll admit I got emotional when I seen the picture of the players at full time going over to the fans. It’s so clear to see on this board that Rangers are way more than a football team to us it’s a way of life we’ve dreamed about this for years we’ve been at our lowest we are now at the very best. I actually get butterflies in my stomach when I hear the words Glasgow Rangers Champions!

I was the same, seeing Tav cuddling Alfredo at the end, both of them smiling, said to me me, lots about what this title means to the players.

Thanks @Cooper 11 for posting, good read and link to the video.

I was on the terracing at Easter Road when Colin Stein scored to win the league and stop the last attempt to win 10 in a row and the emotion that day has lived with me forever as a fourteen year old lad. The build up to this one and finally getting it over the line will bring back all those fantastic memories and add new ones I can now share with my daughter and grand kids who are all bears.
Wee tear in my eye thinking about what’s to come.WATP and always will be.

I was on the terracing at Easter Road when Colin Stein scored to win the league and stop the last attempt to win 10 in a row and the emotion that day has lived with me forever as a fourteen year old lad. The build up to this one and finally getting it over the line will bring back all those fantastic memories and add new ones I can now share with my daughter and grand kids who are all bears.
Wee tear in my eye thinking about what’s to come.WATP and always will be.

I feel the same, I was there as a 15 year old standing on 2 cans to get a better view. The emotion and outpouring of joy at full time, is something I will never forget. But, this won will surpass it, I am sure.

I love watching the way our players celebrate together after scoring. Seeing the whole bench joining with Morelos was superb, and I rewound it three times when watching the highlights.

"One sub at a time" or
"We haven't won anything yet"
It’s got to happen, for it is written

If you look closely, at full time you’ll see Jardine with Big Jock on the bench, then Wallace runs directly towards Greig who is wearing number 12.

Last edited:
Back