I still reckon we're the best football side in the country

Nah it’s not can I ask how many of these games you were actually at or watched live ?

During our 90's domination, playing them was never an automatic given 3 points or trophy. In saying that, the Burns myth is exactly that, a myth. That Burns never learnt his lesson of being deliberately and repeatedly sucker punched by Walter said a lot concerning his managerial skills.

The football on show domestically has been poor right through out the season. There have been threads since day one at Rugby Park complaining about the standard and inability to string two good 45 minutes together. We started off poorly but ground out results.

Took Hibs apart. We were awful at St. Mirren almost conceded an 85th minute equaliser and were brutal at home to the bheggars.

Aberdeen, Hamilton and Ross County were three good performances. Unfortunately a draw at Tynecastle was thrown in.

November we got the job done at Livingston and Hamilton and battered Hearts in the semi final.

December saw good performances at Easter Road, Fir Park and the piggery. We played one good half from four against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

January and February have been dreadful.

It's now got to the stage where you can predict how we are going to start, play and struggle. The players are becoming impatient and resorting to long malleys up the park. Even more so when Defoe is in for Morelos - for some strange reason?

Attractive football counts for nothing if you are trophly less. It's Scotland we play in. It doesn't have to be fancy or over complicated. I wouldn't call possession based football where we move the ball from side to side or back the way at snails pace, attractive either. Kidding ourselves on that we are the best footballing side once every so often doesn't help either.

Nah it’s not can I ask how many of these games you were actually at or watched live ?

All of them. And under Smith we were a far better footballing team than given credit for.

Under Burns the Tims finished 4th in the League in his first season 1994/95. And they got beat by Raith Rovers in a final.

They then lost once in the league the next season - Gazza and McCoist scored at Parkhead. We were brilliant that day. We also drew 3-3 with them at Ibrox (that Goram save). We should have won 4-3 as Davie Roberston (IIRC) scored first and we all thought the goal had stood and the TV was showing it as 1-0 Rangers for about 15 minutes. It then cut to the scoreboards at Ibrox and it was showing as still 0-0.

Burns' Tim Team were obviously a lot better on the eye and had goals in them with Van Hooijdonk, Di Canio and Cadete up front, but it was easy to look good when they had 6 or so years of being absolutely shite.

We've had 3 one off games against them and lost two of them. One of them they were down to 10 men for most of the 2nd half and we still couldn't get a goal. Other way round and they run 4 in against us.
The same way Villarreal ran in 4 against us?
We're not far away talent wise. Mentality, belief, desire and coaching staff can all now be questioned but to say we aren't close to them on the park isn't true

When we're in full flow, like before Christmas, and even at the Piggery in late December, we are a joy and pleasure to watch. We've played some exquisite and skilful stuff this season. Just a thought.
You're absolutely right. We are.

We're off the boil at the moment in too many places to carry, but once we get past this, we'll start moving the ball faster again.

It's just unfortunate that the other lot seem utterly relentless and that is clouding some objectivity from our support.

I'm not sure about that. Judging different eras of football is not a good comparison.

I 100% agree with you on our day we are the best football team In Scotland by a distance but pretty football doesn’t always equal success.

We would have had more of a chance on Sunday if we had had played long balls and a 4-4-2 you couldn’t play football on that pitch or Ibrox for that matter we need to be able to change things up.

nice wee fishing trip, usual crowd right in there raging sellik are magic.

tbh i dont want to be the best footballing side anyway i want SG to do whatever it takes to be successful at Ibrox, go with 2 up front in most league games, get it forward quickly and let the diddy mob make mistakes in and around their own box.... we dont score enough crap goals, scrappy goals which are usually caused by the standard of these defenders. oh aye and lets make it clear to the media we know these officials are bent.

All of them. And us under Smith we were a far better footballing team than given credit for.

Under Burns the Tims finished 4th in the League in his first season 1994/95. And they got beat by Raith Rovers in a final.

They then lost once in the league the next season - Gazza and McCoist scored at Parkhead. We were brilliant that day. We also drew 3-3 with them at Ibrox (that Goram save). We should have won 4-3 as Davie Roberston (IIRC) scored first and we all thought the goal had stood and the TV was showing it as 1-0 Rangers for about 15 minutes. It then cut to the scoreboards at Ibrox and it was showing as still 0-0.

Burns' Tim Team were obviously a lot better on the eye and had goals in them with Van Hooijdonk, Di Canio and Cadete up front, but it was easy to look good when they had 6 or so years of being absolutely shite.

You’ve just made my point for me we are great on the eye when at our best but it doesn’t win games especially on shit pitches .

You’ve just made my point for me we are great on the eye when at our best but it doesn’t win games especially on shit pitches .

They were better on the eye compared to previous teams - they were nowhere for 6 or 7 years, with utter shite players.

They were not better on the eye compared to us.

The "good football" thing rarely works in Scotland. Winning is everything here.

You're absolutely right. We are.

We're off the boil at the moment in too many places to carry, but once we get past this, we'll start moving the ball faster again.

It's just unfortunate that the other lot seem utterly relentless and that is clouding some objectivity from our support.

People forget just how close we've been to them this season, and are rightly angry that we've fallen off the cliff. However, that doesn't take away the point of my OP. The variables involved in that gap, the Peasants grinding out wins which might not have occurred, away at Hamilton as example where they should have been down to 10 men, struggling at home against Ross County until ref Clancy steps in with a very soft penalty, etc. It is variables like this that seem to be forgotten when deciding how titles are often won. It is not as simplistic as many seem to think.

Who actually cares?

This is the same comfort blanket they used to use under Burns when we were winning everything in sight under Walter.

The lengths some people are going to try and make themselves feel better are embarrassing.

In the last few days we’ve had “it’s not really nine in a row”, “we play better football”, “we have more points than last year”.

The blunt truth is no one cares, it’s a losers mentality that we need to shake all the way through the club.

It’s about being the number one side in this awful backwater. Second has always been nowhere here, and until we’re back to where we need to be can we stop this embarrassing shit, it’s tragic.

When we're in full flow, like before Christmas, and even at the Piggery in late December, we are a joy and pleasure to watch. We've played some exquisite and skilful stuff this season. Just a thought.
How many times have we been in full flow this season ?

Not many.

They were better on the eye compared to previous teams - they were nowhere for 6 or 7 years, with utter shite players.

They were not better on the eye compared to us.

I am sorry but we rarely played good football under Smith a boot up the park to Hateley and relying on 1-2 flair players like Miko , Gazza, Laudrup thats how we rolled ,

Gerrards current team on form are one of the best footballing sides we have had in a long long time but again pretty football doesnt guarantee success.

We occasionally play some nice football. We regularly play poor football - ball watching, slack passing, too few shots and little chance creation. We are consistently inconsistent, it’s worrying. But we now must soldier on and hope it gets better.

I am sorry but we rarely played good football under Smith a boot up the park to Hateley and relying on 1-2 flair players like Miko , Gazza, Laudrup thats how we rolled ,

Gerrards current team on form are one of the best footballing sides we have had in a long long time but again pretty football doesnt guarantee success.

OK - I am done with this debate now. :)

Who actually cares?

This is the same comfort blanket they used to use under Burns when we were winning everything in sight under Walter.

The lengths some people are going to try and make themselves feel better are embarrassing.

In the last few days we’ve had “it’s not really nine in a row”, “we play better football”, “we have more points than last year”.

The blunt truth is no one cares, it’s a losers mentality that we need to shake all the way through the club.

It’s about being the number one side in this awful backwater. Second has always been nowhere here, and until we’re back to where we need to be can we stop this embarrassing shit, it’s tragic.

Just another missing the point by a million miles post.

mentally challengeds are the thickest, most consumed fucktards that God saw fit to allow to walk this planet, but on occasion some of our own give them reason to point and laugh.

Just another missing the point by a million miles post.

What is the point then?

You claim we’re the best footballing side in the country. Firstly I would say that’s debatable, given they have managed to score 19 more than us at this present time, and have an overall goal difference of 20 better. You make it sound as if they just lump up the park.

Part of our problem is we keep underestimating them, and it keeps coming back to bite us. You make it sound like they are Wimbledon!

Secondly say for a second you’re right, and we are the best footballing side in the country. My initial point stands who cares, and what does it get you?

Give me a pragmatic approach such as the one Smith utilised and won trophies over the current approach any day.

For what it’s worth I haven’t actually enjoyed watching us recently under Gerrard. Our build up is painfully slow, we go side to side, and then often go into the channels expecting Alfredo to turn it into something.

I just don’t find us that pleasing on the eye bar the odd performance.

People forget just how close we've been to them this season, and are rightly angry that we've fallen off the cliff. However, that doesn't take away the point of my OP. The variables involved in that gap, the Peasants grinding out wins which might not have occurred, away at Hamilton as example where they should have been down to 10 men, struggling at home against Ross County until ref Clancy steps in with a very soft penalty, etc. It is variables like this that seem to be forgotten when deciding how titles are often won. It is not as simplistic as many seem to think.
Agreed.

Kilmarnock for us ended up being a 6 point swing because of poor refereeing (handball at goal, failure to send off at least 2 of their players, perfectly good goal disallowed, penalty not given for same contact as goal chopped off).

There is no doubt that every decision bar the Goldson handball v Hamilton has gone against us, while they've had every decision go for them. That has to play on the players minds a bit - they know if they go into a 50/50 there's a chance they pick up bookings that others just won't get, that they have to score 5 to be guaranteed 2 being given, and that no matter what, the rags will be going after them on and off the field.

Agreed.

Kilmarnock for us ended up being a 6 point swing because of poor refereeing (handball at goal, failure to send off at least 2 of their players, perfectly good goal disallowed, penalty not given for same contact as goal chopped off).

There is no doubt that every decision bar the Goldson handball v Hamilton has gone against us, while they've had every decision go for them. That has to play on the players minds a bit - they know if they go into a 50/50 there's a chance they pick up bookings that others just won't get, that they have to score 5 to be guaranteed 2 being given, and that no matter what, the rags will be going after them on and off the field.

Sadly, people would rather delude themselves that the Peasants are " miles ahead of us ", and other simplistic nonsense.

We probably are, at our best, based on just ability.

Means f*ck all sadly, unless you can produce it week in week out.

Indeed we are, easily the best on our day.

Similar to what numerous Celtic sides were against Walters Rangers, the most famous example of course being Tommy Burns team.

Not since Christmas we’re not. Watching the same bad turgish pish dream and waiting for the inevitable brain fart mistake to cost us.

[ they are not a good or attractive side on any level.
[/QUOTE]

I think your clutching at straws here mate.

They have scored 19 more goals than us this season so far and are pumping teams week in week out.

Wish we were that bad to watch.

Of course, the League table doesn't lie, but the Peasants are not a very watchable side. Long balls to Edward seems to be par for the course. They get the job done quickly, which is their main asset, but they are not a good or attractive side on any level.

They’ve scored 82 goals in 28 league games ffs.

We can't be otherwise we wouldn't be 12 points behind Celtic and struggling to beat just about anyone. So, no, we're not the best footballing side in Scotland. We might be able to play some good football at times and we might have some good players and some very good players. However, if nothing is gelling together then we certainly aren't the best at anything.

We need to up our game. The players need to snap out of this lull and Gerrard needs to start learning urgently.

Here we go again FFS.

On the verge of suffering them winning 4 trebles on the bounce. Aye we are some team.
The results are all that matters at the end of the day - I don’t want to be like arsenal or Napoli that get plaudits for how they play but win %^*& all. I’d happily grind out a dozen dodgy wins a season than play Celtic off the park in one league game and then throw away 3 games from winning positions shortly after.

Being capable of being the best and actually being the best aren't the same. It's like when Robbie savage claimed at times he was world class; no, being world class means being consistently at that level. Sadly, we just aren't capable of keeping our form, there have been flashes of brilliance this season but to be the best team in the league, you need to do it week in week out.

On our day 1 on 1 we are better thsn them.but we just havnt got that winning mentality or staying power sadly

Back