I still wouldn't trade.

Can you remember too many of the league wins out with helicopter Sunday or stopping the 9 and 3/4s? Many of them all blend into each other for me. I will always remember last night and 08. Those are what football is all about. We lose the league and it’s “well we’ll go again next year”. We had the UK prime minister discuss us in parliament yesterday ffs! If you think domestic success is bigger than that then I’m amazed.
Nope, winning trophies is what Rangers are all about. We sing about Barcelona in 72 because we won it. We sing about 55 league titles because we won them. Rightly, we don’t sing about Manchester and we won’t sing about Seville. Why not? Because we won neither.

I’m not saying the occasion for those doesn’t outweigh a routine title win because it does, but ultimately I’d rather Rangers be successful than I have year after year in a sunny city having a good day drinking and singing only to lose the final.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it has been more enjoyable being a Rangers supporter than one of them this season despite us not having won anything.

That feeling when Aribo scored last night topped anything I've personally ever felt as a Rangers supporter. This Euro run and the absolute euphoric scenes at Ibrox - we could win the treble for the next five years and you simply wouldn't see or hear that sort of atmosphere.

I want us to win the league every year obviously but there is no domestic achievements left in Scottish Football other than ten in a row that hold the same level of excitement as a Euro run like that.

I get the point and the overwhelming support it appears to have on this thread in the immediate aftermath of last night. I would question if we will feel like that in August if we f**k up the CL qualifiers.

And let's not kid ourselves on that we didn't rip the pish out of the bead rattlers for Biggin up of their glorious failure in Seville v Porto, and their attempt to eulogise it in a season where we won the League. We need to have some level of intellectual consistency on here or we are no better than a Giro Declan.

The fact the scum have got a automatic CL group spot next year based off our hard work on the coefficient only makes the situation re not winning the league even more unpalatable.

So I would strongly disagree with the OP, and imagine more will join in the viewpoint as the reality sinks in. Allowing our main rivals to rack up 10 of the last 11 titles is simply unacceptable and you would not see Bayern, Madrid, Juve etc. accepting it in their domestic league. I worry about our expectations & standards sometimes. We need to pressure the board to push the boat out to the max financially to back Gio and build on the momentum he has managed to gather thankfully.

Rangers have always been about winning silverware. Not glorifying failures or final losses. Leave that to the paedos.
Nope, winning trophies is what Rangers are all about. We sing about Barcelona in 72 because we won it. We sing about 55 league titles because we won them. Rightly, we don’t sing about Manchester and we won’t sing about Seville. Why not? Because we won neither.

I’m not saying the occasion for those doesn’t outweigh a routine title win because it does, but ultimately I’d rather Rangers be successful than I have year after year in a sunny city having a good day drinking and singing only to lose the final.
That’s fair enough mate, and I can see where your coming from. I would rather have the good day drinking and singing in the sunny city up with the big boys. But maybe the correct view is a combination of the both! European finals mixed in with regular league success.

Find anyone who gives the 10 out of 11 pish a bit hmmm, that’s proper tramps patter and widespread narrative of them TBH

Never met a Rangers fan who’s say something remotely like that as though it’s actually relevant

In fact, the vast majority of Rangers fans hardly even bother their arse about most of their recent “achievements”

Find anyone who gives the 10 out of 11 pish a bit hmmm, that’s proper tramps patter and widespread narrative of them TBH

Never met a Rangers fan who’s say something remotely like that as though it’s actually relevant

In fact, the vast majority of Rangers fans hardly even bother their arse about most of their recent “achievements”
Hollow achievements in the extreme. Four of them we weren’t in, one of them we got docked 10 points. Two of them were rebuilding first time back in the SPFL and another they were awarded by a vote. So that makes it 3 justified titles in 11 years and 1 for us. Take in all the years since 2008 (interesting that many will discuss europe since then but only mention the leagues since 2012!) and it’s 4-3 in our favour.

If simply winning your group league title every year and no entry into Europe is the be all and end all then I would agree the title is everything.. but it’s not. That said we still have to keep our eye on domestic titles and silverware to progress in Europe with less obstacles of group stages.

If not to progress farther and farther at better competition outside Scotland’s backwater , different football styles ,silverware and experiences then what is it all about?

Wouldn’t trade that game for anything and the entire run up this season.

The obsession is incredible even for them. Videos of them watching the game cheering when Frankfurt score. I don’t watch them apart from when they play us.

What sad lives they lead.
True that and that’s one of many differences between both sets of fans, we love our club and hate them, they only hate Rangers.
I remember their final and watched a film with my Dad like a normal night and checked the result at the end. My Dad went thank %^*& for that, and that was very much that

I know I'll likely get slaughtered by some for this but I don't care.

I still wouldn't trade our position and the memories of another incredible European run to be in their position. They've not experienced anything like the European highs we've had in 20 years of football. In that same time we've been in two European finals and the last few years especially, these have been the best times and most enjoyable moments for me.

We move onto Saturday and hopefully win a long overdue Scottish Cup and I will look back very positively on this season.

I actually agree with this
They win the league
We win the league
And so it goes on
Domestic trophies have been rare recently but we have dozens in our history and will have many many more in the years to come.
But runs and experiences like we have just had are as rare as rocking horse shit.
That night at Ibrox against Leipzig will live with me till the day I die.
It's back to being a coin flip at the start of every season. We'll win the league, they'll win the league, we'll win a few, they'll win a few and so on and so on but we've shown real European progress and if we can keep it going we could be looking at these types of runs more often which would mean far more than a domestic title.

Seeing the buzz around the whole of Scotland from 08 and this year, seeing us over take these cities and turning every corner of the place Red, white and blue is something special.

As tinpot as it might sound Joe Aribo's goal will stay with me until my grave. We were so close.
This coin flip situation you speak of? The stats don't seem to back up this we win it one year, they win it the next situation.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Let's take from say ironically Barcelona, as in the last 50 years as a cut off point. It doesn't make for very nice reading.

We won just five titles in the 70s and 80s. That's five in two decades. If Aberdeen didn't weigh in with three and Dundee Utd with a solo effort between 1980-85 it would have seen the yahoos winning fifteen in those same two decades. Not much tit for tatting going on back then.

The Nineties saw a real purple patch with us winning nine.

Since and including 2000, we've won just seven.

Obviously, being cheated down the leagues and the attendant illegal financial sanctions imposed upon us has caused us umpteen set backs on the road back up. Add in the spivs and then the Ashley retail rape and it's been a long, hard slog.

But as we have shown this season yet again, we don't seem to have a set of players who can slog and grind out the results when we need them. Not yet anyway. So tit-for-tat and coin flipping is still aways off as I see it.

Factor in the reality that they're guaranteed a cash bonanza next season via the automatic CL group stages, while we are flung headline into a lottery and it is anyone's guess how the near future will pan out.

It doesn't look too 'cushty' from where I'm sitting.

I get the point and the overwhelming support it appears to have on this thread in the immediate aftermath of last night. I would question if we will feel like that in August if we f**k up the CL qualifiers.

And let's not kid ourselves on that we didn't rip the pish out of the bead rattlers for Biggin up of their glorious failure in Seville v Porto, and their attempt to eulogise it in a season where we won the League. We need to have some level of intellectual consistency on here or we are no better than a Giro Declan.

The fact the scum have got a automatic CL group spot next year based off our hard work on the coefficient only makes the situation re not winning the league even more unpalatable.

So I would strongly disagree with the OP, and imagine more will join in the viewpoint as the reality sinks in. Allowing our main rivals to rack up 10 of the last 11 titles is simply unacceptable and you would not see Bayern, Madrid, Juve etc. accepting it in their domestic league. I worry about our expectations & standards sometimes. We need to pressure the board to push the boat out to the max financially to back Gio and build on the momentum he has managed to gather thankfully.

Rangers have always been about winning silverware. Not glorifying failures or final losses. Leave that to the paedos.
Mate
We didnt allow them to rack up those titles
We either werent in the league or were on a rebuild
Parity, in my opinion, has now returned

You offer me the league next season or another crack at the Europa final I know which one I'm taking.

And it isn't even close.
I’ll take my chances on a final lottery EVERY time, as we all know through our recovery. Every bit of anguish and pain only made 55 the most beautiful thing, the same when we get back to that stage and finally win it. And we will

When we start writing plays, musicals and making up stories about the locals, then the comparison might be reasonable.

The football landscape has changed dramatically in the last two decades. There's little wrong with being excited by and remembering nights like Dortmund, Braga + Leipzig.

I made this very point to one of the boys I see every day with work. Yeah they’ve won the league, we’ve put the club in the spotlight of Europe and know what? We fucking showed them how good we actually are. We lost in a lottery to a team that hasn’t lost in Europe all season but the multiple highs on the road there will not be replicated.

On another note, the message I got from my best mate who is a Thistle fan at end of the match last night pretty much sums up how I’m feeling today and how lucky I think we should all feel;

“mate, thistle have never even been to a major domestic cup final, and probably won't ever in my life time. It's been a great journey, one that gave you hope and additional enjoyment in life. Proper great achievement”
Tell your Thistle mate ..they have been to a major domestic cup final ..I was there as a 6 year old with a Thistle supporting uncle ..hampdump 71 ..Thistle 4 v Paedos 1

Obviously, being cheated down the leagues and the attendant illegal financial sanctions imposed upon us has caused us umpteen set backs on the road back up. Add in the spivs and then the Ashley retail rape and it's been a long, hard slog.
I agree to a point but this paragraph stands out
Thats 10 years where we were hamstrung
Take that out and its reasonably equal.
( i know it is still there but as you say we were Cheated down the leagues)
I see no reason why we wont come back stronger
Maybe misplaced optimism but i dont think so!

I know I'll likely get slaughtered by some for this but I don't care.

I still wouldn't trade our position and the memories of another incredible European run to be in their position. They've not experienced anything like the European highs we've had in 20 years of football. In that same time we've been in two European finals and the last few years especially, these have been the best times and most enjoyable moments for me.

We move onto Saturday and hopefully win a long overdue Scottish Cup and I will look back very positively on this season.
This year, 10 years after playing in Division 3, We got to and lost a major European final

The mhanks had 3 bites at the Euro tournaments cherry and failed all 3

Levels

It’s a comfort view. It’s an easy view to take to make people feel better about what could ultimately end up a trophyless season. Many people were shouting early in the season about how the league would be won by Christmas and Postecoglou sacked by then etc.

I’m not saying that’s your drive behind it btw, you might genuinely rather compete in a European final every year and lose it than win a domestic double (including the league) but it’s just not a viewpoint I can subscribe to.

The nights are great when they come about during the run but ultimately, there’s no big shiny thing at the end of it for us.

Pretty sure I read you wanting a reserve side played at Parkhead etc a few weeks ago, a game that could have taken us within 3 points of them.

Europe was all that mattered then, so what's changed?

FWIW everyone wants success domestically alongside Europe, even the OP, that doesn't means he's not entitled to appreciate this season's European run, it's been exceptional, and one missed penalty doesn't change that or erase the brilliant memories made during it.

put it a different way if we were asked at the start of the season would you sacrifice the league (& I realise we didn’t have to) to be in a euro final with a real chance of victory, every single gers fan would have taken the final

I’m definitely in agreement. Money earned seems to be a big factor nowadays and taking into consideration how little the pathetic spfl brings to Scottish football getting as far as you can in Europe trumps whatever happens in our little pathetic league.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it has been more enjoyable being a Rangers supporter than one of them this season despite us not having won anything.

That feeling when Aribo scored last night topped anything I've personally ever felt as a Rangers supporter. This Euro run and the absolute euphoric scenes at Ibrox - we could win the treble for the next five years and you simply wouldn't see or hear that sort of atmosphere.

I want us to win the league every year obviously but there is no domestic achievements left in Scottish Football other than ten in a row that hold the same level of excitement as a Euro run like that.
Great post mate. This Euro run tops anything in my 25 years as a season ticket holder. The semi-final winner and aftermath when we realised we’d made the final and Aribo’s goal (and the two weeks in between) have been the best ever.

It gets better.

GeFVdRY_d.webp
Stats from This thread.

We've made 2 European finals since they last won a KO round. And we were in division 3 and working back up in that time :cool:
Don’t ever let them forget that. That’s something that’s conveniently forgotten by those rancid peasants.

We can now officially say it’s not a once in a lifetime feat, and we will reach another one within a decade, I’m certain of it.

I have loved this euro run. I loved every second of Seville up until the arid wasteland they call a stadium. As devastated as I was after pens, and as devastated as I still am, its been a hell of a ride.

Ain terms of whether I would rather be in their position or ours, I think that wont be properly clear until next season. If they use the UCL funds to spend big, we dont and have a stuttering rebuild and they win the title and pull further away financially then that is a significant blow. If we win the title then it changes how this season looks in the grand scheme of things. A bit like 08 did.

Too early to tell now and too emotional to give a concrete answer.

Pretty sure I read you wanting a reserve side played at Parkhead etc a few weeks ago, a game that could have taken us within 3 points of them.

Europe was all that mattered then, so what's changed?

FWIW everyone wants success domestically alongside Europe, even the OP, that doesn't means he's not entitled to appreciate this season's European run, it's been exceptional, and one missed penalty doesn't change that or erase the brilliant memories made during it.
Yeah, the league was already over at that point IMO. The 3-0 and 2-1 losses that came before that game ensured that. So at that point, for this season the focus had to be on Europe.

Generally speaking though, I’d take tangible success over admirable European runs that end in defeat.

What we experienced in the semi final victory against Leipzig - particularly from the winner going in, the after match celebrations in the stadium to the walk home after the match - were a privilege to be a part of. The strength of emotions and feeling of elation are extremely rare in life never mind football.

I'm not being biased saying this but no other clubs fans would have felt this to the same degree we did. And that is simply because no other clubs fans have experienced the journey we had to get to that position - working our way through the league (with massive support and full stadiums all the way up) when all our enemies tried to kill us off. Of course other teams fans would be excited if their team got to the final but frankly the scale and depth of what they would have felt would pale in comparison simply because they didn't have he preceding 10+ years to get to that moment.

Back