I would give Ryan Kent a rest on Thursday

I don't think Aribo is ready to start another game in succession so that probably sees a front 3 of Barker, Hagi & Morelos/Itten/Roofe. Probably not good enough imo. Start Kent and hopefully be in a position to take him off after 60 mins or so.

Kent will be ready to bust a gut on Thursday, just as he does most games.

He might not be on it like he was on the first few games of the season, but his work rate has been phenomenal this season.

As important as the domestic games are to us just now, you don’t leave your best players out of European fixtures.

till we've qualify out the group, then it's strongest team every game, plus we get big dough for evey point we get and that's important, if we get to the quater finals(touch wood) then the publicity we'll get with Gerrard etc will be advantageous to attracting future players, doing well in europe is far more important than the domestic game for people looking in from outside scotland

I've been toying with the idea of dropping Kent but he's one of our most important players especially in Europe. Never thought I would say this but I'm glad the international break is coming up gives us a chance to give him a rest.

For me Sunday is the bigger game. We have other options now and Kent has played continually. Hes been slightly off the boil in recent games so Thursday is a good time to Give him a break.

Thoughts?
He has to play as it’s a home game worth over £.5m for a win plus would put us in a very strong position in the group

He’s not been playing great but I wouldn’t say he’s been poor either. He’s too important to us in Europe and never hides.
Rest him after an hour, rest him for Hamilton at home and then he has the international break.

I don't get the he's been off the boil but for a fantastic block by Ajer he scores a great goal against them. He played well for 60 minutes against standard until the pitch turned into a swimming pool he was only really quiet on Sunday but the game was done and dusted after 20 minutes most of the team took there foot off the gas after Defoe scored

He’s what 23 / 24 years old?

A rest having been in lockdown and probably the longest break since he first kicked a ball?

If he’s fit he plays - still our best £ for £ player.

We are going to get these threads around every EL game, aren’t we? Personally I don’t see it as an either/or. I want to win every game and that means putting out the best team to do so. If we beat Poznań it gives us a little breathing space in the EL group if, as expected, Benfica beat Liege. Let’s get that done and then look to Sunday. The Manager will understand the importance of BOTH games.

Last edited:
We are going to get these threads around every EL game, aren’t we? Personally I don’t see it as an either/or. I want to win every game and that means putting out the best team to do so. If we beat Poznań it gives us a little breathing space in the EL group if, as expected, Benfica beat Anderlecht. Let’s get that done and then look to Sunday. The Manager will understand the importance of BOTH games.

Exactly. Beat Poznan and we can probably qualify with a win at home over Liege in the 2nd last game. Essentially the Benfica games are free hits for us if we both win on Thursday.

We are going to get these threads around every EL game, aren’t we? Personally I don’t see it as an either/or. I want to win every game and that means putting out the best team to do so. If we beat Poznań it gives us a little breathing space in the EL group if, as expected, Benfica beat Anderlecht. Let’s get that done and then look to Sunday. The Manager will understand the importance of BOTH games.
Is that in homage to Roofes celebration VB? ;)

He came off early on Sunday and his training will most likely be tailored to suit the amount of games we are playing at the moment.

On from the start on Thursday and off early if we are in a good position to do so. Same on Sunday.

We have the squad for it now.

Absolutely not. His form has dipped slightly but that’s normal for wingers, they are the most unpredictable and inconsistent guys on any team. Always have been.

It’s not like he is playing badly, just not as electric as he was at the start of the year but that will come back.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Jones start on Sunday against Killie, it’s amazing the amount of times old players come back to haunt their previous sides.

For me Sunday is the bigger game. We have other options now and Kent has played continually. Hes been slightly off the boil in recent games so Thursday is a good time to Give him a break.

Thoughts?

Thankfully Kent, Tav and Goldson get a proper breather every international break.

So in effect, he should've had a decent recovery before the Celtic game and he'll get another one in a couple of weeks.

You play your best players in all the big games. Thursday and sunday are big games, he plays both.

Would you see the likes of Salah ect being rested for 1 of 2 big games in their teams?, course you wouldnt.

Get him played and get the job done.

Kent gets a rest with the international breaks but I do think a wee breather could help him. I would actually rather be played Thursday and not on Sunday due to the risk of injury being higher

I can see where the OP is coming from tbh, last thing we need is him getting another hamstring injury, but if he’s fit and ready to go then he will start both games. If he was to complain of a tight muscle then I’m sure the medical staff would tell Gerrard to rest him

No need to rest Kent on Thursday or Sunday.

He's still integral to the team and is doing his job well. Folk can't expect him to be electrifying every week. Wingers just don't work like that.

Last edited:
Even when he isn't on his top form he still stretches the play and drags defenders like nobody else in our team. If he's fit he plays.

Thoughts?
Id say if anyone deserved a rest it would be Tav or Goldson - that said, they should all be in good shape and rests shouldnt come in big matches that can bring important income.

I would be looking at games vs Ross County, St Midden etc to rotate but these games, along with Sunday, we need to field as strong a team as we can and Kent falls in that bracket.

Personaly don't think he will want to be dropped thats the reason he stayed here to play in games like thursdays , this Rangers team are doing enough to win games ,like Sunday won easily without really putting there foot down . Come thursday they will up it because the opposition is better. And everyone steps up a gear Kent is still young and will be raring to go.

Not for me.

Still our most dangerous player.

If you want to give him a rest, bring him off after an hr (assuming things are going the way they're supposed to)

He's pretty crucial to our euro set up imo
This . In an ideal world we have a lead and we can pull him off after an hour , the only problem with that is if the game isn’t going our way but we cross that bridge when we come to it . Thursday night is worth half a million for a win , it’s a big game .

I do agree he’s been off the boil however he has had a break during the intensional week and there’s another one soon .

Why are folk talking about resting our best player, for any game?

There's an international break coming up, he can get a rest then.
Because he’s not our best player and he’s not playing well. We have strong competition for places.

Back