I would start Stephen Kelly tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean?.

I’ve just told you, Port Glasgow.

Anyway, we are derailing the thread.
I am not aware of him playing for Port Glasgow... But let's nit derail a thread, IMO Stephen Kelly will be starring for Rangers next season... Think on the spelling of the name for my first post on this silly debate lol

Not for me. Sorry.

It's important to get back on track again after (another) European defeat.

Strongest team for me and get the winning run and momentum going again.

Kelly isn't a bad player but people have this romantic notion about him because he's a youth player. Read the same stuff about the likes of Barjonas at one point too.

Gerrard does have a track record of improving players though - Jack, Barisic, Morelos, Kent, Tavernier, Goldson and Kamara are all considerably better players after a while with Gerrard than they were when they arrived he might work the magic on Kelly too - but not yet.

He was our most consistent player pre-season, he deserves his chance. He is good enough

I think the team needs a wee injection of something fresh. Davis is not able to play every game and while jack isnt an option I think tomorrow is a good chance to give Kelly a game. I think he speeds up play with quick incisive passes. He has good energy around the pitch. Things look a bit stale and something different might spark something for us.
Patterson also for the same reasons

We also beat Real Madrid and drew with Arsenal in pre-season then got dumped off Malmo twice and scraped past a fourth-rate Armenian team.

Pre-season results are good, I enjoy them, but it's not the real world.

Agree with that, but he proved last season with Ross County he has chops.

I can't see Patterson hanging around for very long if he is not starting regularly. Not starting will reduce his chances for playing for Scotland etc. which he seems to enjoy.

If he was starting regularly he might enjoy it here and not be so attracted to a potential £50k+ per week salary in the the EPL.

Tav probably won't be happy sitting on the bench either so within the next two windows I think the club will have to decide if they want to sell Tav or Patterson, it might make business sense to not sell the one with age on their side.
I see your point mate. Paterson looks like he'll be part of the scotland squad from now on. He'll be alongside guys who are regularly playing in the epl, players he's better than. If that didnt bother him, I'd be surprised.

I don't know the lad or his thoughts, but he is deserving of more regular games.

We also beat Real Madrid and drew with Arsenal in pre-season then got dumped off Malmo twice and scraped past a fourth-rate Armenian team.

Pre-season results are good, I enjoy them, but it's not the real world.
Kelly did not play against Malmo or against the Armenian mob. So you can see why fans want to see him when he played so well in pre season. Our midfield has been gash in Europe this season,

The team badly needs freshened up and I’d be more than happy to see Kelly, Patterson and Bassey get a run of games.

I'm aware of that but do you honestly, hand on heart, think if he played we'd it would have made a difference in those games and we'd have beat Malmo?
He would have brought a different dimension to the dire we had in the middle of the park. Hard to put pressure on an up and coming player but they need to be put in to show. Sandy Robertson, Gary McSwegan and Charlie Miller showed they could be big players although did eventually not reach the expected heights.

Patterson and Bassey would inject some enthusiasm into the team as would Kelly that's for sure
While unless absolutely necessary i doubt would introduce all three in the same game (i know that isn't what you are suggesting btw) it is getting to the point where we need to have one of them on the park every game.

The senior player will be on the bench anyway if he is required.

We have got to start blooding them and seeing if they have what it takes long term as the none of our big hitters are getting any younger.

Totally agree (OP) WTS. I have been thinking this for a few weeks, he may be just what we need to get the ball forward quicker.
Give him a chance and see what he can do.

The Hardon for Kelly on here from so many is unreal. You’d think the next coming of Barry Ferguson was being kept out the team the way people go on about him. With the queue of people in front of him you’ll be lucky if he plays 5 games this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back