I would start Stephen Kelly tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the story

I think the team needs a wee injection of something fresh. Davis is not able to play every game and while jack isnt an option I think tomorrow is a good chance to give Kelly a game. I think he speeds up play with quick incisive passes. He has good energy around the pitch. Things look a bit stale and something different might spark something for us.

It would be nice for Davis to get a rest given he's played nearly every minute for us and Northern Ireland. Think Bacuna is more likely to start though.

It’s a hard one for a manager. The team is hardly setting the heather alight and I agree it needs an injection of something fresh. However if it backfires there will be the clamour why didn’t you play Davis/Arfield/Lundstram/Bacuna etc instead. Think that’s why you end up with tried and tested.
Being back to 3 subs is a real pisser for our squad as much as I can see why the smaller teams don’t want it. Hopefully Kelly gets game time in the cup.

It’s a hard one for a manager. The team is hardly setting the heather alight and I agree it needs an injection of something fresh. However if it backfires there will be the clamour why didn’t you play Davis/Arfield/Lundstram/Bacuna etc instead. Think that’s why you end up with tried and tested.
Being back to 3 subs is a real pisser for our squad as much as I can see why the smaller teams don’t want it. Hopefully Kelly gets game time in the cup.
While that is a good point and true we often hear SG say the players need to be brave on the park.

Maybe he needs to be brave with his selection once in a while and stop playing it safe.

Lundstram in the Davis role with Kamara and Aribo either side. Or possibly Arfield with Aribo further forward.

• Wow
Reactions: BWO
I would've started him weeks ago however the boys been struggling to make the bench most games which is a disgrace in itself.
Is this another case of a player getting better the more people don’t see him?

He’ll get his chance when he’s good enough and better than those in front of him.

If he can’t get a game tomorrow I have no idea why he’s even here
How do you come to that conclusion mate?

Kelly plays in the 'Davis role'. Davis is fit and available and one of the first names on the team sheet.

The League Cup tie on Wednesday is where we're much more likely to see Kelly start, in my opinion.

I agree some fresh legs should be used across the next few games. Would like to see Kelly, Bacuna, Hagi and potentially Defoe get action in the next 2. There are also a few of the kids (Lowry and the young CB) we might need soon.

We might need to dip into the squad soon and it'd be better with minutes in their legs.

He’ll get his chance when he’s good enough and better than those in front of him.
No, it's a case of seeing how well he performed during pre season and watching our current midfield play very slow, turgid football at times. It's evident it needs freshened up, who's to say Kelly wouldn't excel if given the chance ?

He's good enough already imo.

Lundstrsm must start tomorrow. Positive display on Thursday and need to build on it. Would play either Bacuna or Kelly infront Davis tomorrow though. Give the wee man a break.

No, it's a case of seeing how well he performed during pre season and watching our current midfield play very slow, turgid football at times. It's evident it needs freshened up, who's to say Kelly wouldn't excel if given the chance ?

He's good enough already imo.
I recently watched him play the full Scotland U21 match against Turkey and on that showing he is far from ready for our first team.

Our midfield may need a freshen up at this time but, unfortunately, Stephen Kelly is not the answer at the moment.

We don't see our signings at all or at least very little because we play the tried and trusted all the time and from what I have seen this season we need improvement.

I think the team needs a wee injection of something fresh. Davis is not able to play every game and while jack isnt an option I think tomorrow is a good chance to give Kelly a game. I think he speeds up play with quick incisive passes. He has good energy around the pitch. Things look a bit stale and something different might spark something for us.
The most important game of the season so far (think about it) is not a time for that, the tried and tested must start.

Lundstrsm must start tomorrow. Positive display on Thursday and need to build on it. Would play either Bacuna or Kelly infront Davis tomorrow though. Give the wee man a break.

This is a huge game vs 4th place and a side that regularly give us problems. We need our best team which means Davis has to play, not JL.

More a case of using that squad I think. We bang on about having 2 players for every position.
That's pointless If it's just cover and not real competition.

I'd argue that Lundstram isn't tried & tested - yet

I'm not going to slag him - but I'm still unconvinced he fits our style of play / system / formation

He's obviously not a bad player by any means - but I have to wonder what his best position is & where he contributes most

IMO He doesn't compliment the players around him & they don't seem to be up to speed on his style of play either

Kelly and Bacuna for Lundstram and Davis please.​

There is no way Gerrard is dropping both Lundstram and Davis for a league match against a side that give us problems and will be out to frustrate from the get go. Probably looking at something like this. Possibly Arfield in from the start. Can’t see Sakala, Bacuna or Kelly starting.

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Balogun Barišić
Lundstram Davis Kamara
Aribo Roofe Wright

We never really play homegrown players for some bizarre reason, which is why we will probably lose Patterson within the next two transfer windows. Another EPL club will come knocking and he will want to leave because he hardly gets played here.

We never really play homegrown players for some bizarre reason, which is why we will probably lose Patterson within the next two transfer windows. Another EPL club will come knocking and he will want to leave because he hardly gets played here.
I’d be incredibly surprised if that happens.

Lundstram looked good in the Davis role centre mid. We can’t push Davis to breaking point at his age. He can come on if necessary from the bench. Can’t see us losing much at full back playing Patterson and Bassey too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back