I would start Stephen Kelly tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’ll be a midfield three of lundstram, Kamara and aribo. Lundstram playing the Davis role to hopefully further on from a decent performance midweek. Then a front three of sakala, Morelos(if fit?) and roofe. If Morelos isn’t fit to play then Wright to come in for Morelos and roofe up front.

Go 2 up top, 1 behind the strikers, keep the 3 in the middle and get the wing backs pushing on.

We have Kent out so why not give Morelos a partner up front and gives us a chance to maybe go with Bacuna in the 10 role.

There is no way Gerrard is dropping both Lundstram and Davis for a league match against a side that give us problems and will be out to frustrate from the get go. Probably looking at something like this. Possibly Arfield in from the start. Can’t see Sakala, Bacuna or Kelly starting.

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Balogun Barišić
Lundstram Davis Kamara
Aribo Roofe Wright

We don’t need Lundstram ,Davis and Kamara in the same midfield at home to Motherwell

This is a more important game than Thursday so we must play our strongest team possible. Make changes against Livi.

I’d be incredibly surprised if that happens.

I can't see Patterson hanging around for very long if he is not starting regularly. Not starting will reduce his chances for playing for Scotland etc. which he seems to enjoy.

If he was starting regularly he might enjoy it here and not be so attracted to a potential £50k+ per week salary in the the EPL.

Tav probably won't be happy sitting on the bench either so within the next two windows I think the club will have to decide if they want to sell Tav or Patterson, it might make business sense to not sell the one with age on their side.

Tomorrow is exactly the type of game he shouldn’t be playing. Tomorrow is must win as it’s a league game. Thursday wasn’t - the likes of Kelly should be playing in the EL games.

He probably won't even be on the bench, although i would give him a chance. Any lad that goes to chapel with his Rangers top on under his jumper deserves a chance. ;)
My mate played with him at the Port, said they were pretty much the only rangers fans there :))

We never really play homegrown players for some bizarre reason, which is why we will probably lose Patterson within the next two transfer windows. Another EPL club will come knocking and he will want to leave because he hardly gets played here.
I find it bizarre too why Paterson doesn‘t get picked ahead of our Captain and the SPFL player of the year.

I can't see Patterson hanging around for very long if he is not starting regularly. Not starting will reduce his chances for playing for Scotland etc. which he seems to enjoy.

If he was starting regularly he might enjoy it here and not be so attracted to a potential £50k+ per week salary in the the EPL.

Tav probably won't be happy sitting on the bench either so within the next two windows I think the club will have to decide if they want to sell Tav or Patterson, it might make business sense to not sell the one with age on their side.

I don’t think he can complain too much as he’s missed some games through Covid and injury but yes it’s going to become a problem if he’s not getting on the park much.

Yeah, I think Tav will be getting phased out next season or the following. It’s a tricky one, NP isn’t as good yet, but we may have to take the hit so that he can develop.

Thankfully I don’t have to make these decisions :))

Gerrard sometimes is hesitant trying something new but that's prob because we have to win every game otherwise its the end of the world, other teams/fans shrug off defeats/draws.

We don't see our signings at all or at least very little because we play the tried and trusted all the time and from what I have seen this season we need improvement.
On what evidence would Stephen Kelly improve our midfield?

Just give me one example of an outstanding performance in one of his cameo roles.

We need to do something in the Midfield as it just aint working !

Davis is safety first with first touch back the way

Aribo is ineffective in the Middle 3 - front 3 or bench

Lundstram needs game time to either improve or get found out

Arfield is only player other than Wright who runs beyond our forwards, buy can't do it as much now.

Sadly these issues aren't new and we have started the season with our management having a blind spot in recognising this.

Time to see if our renowned midfielders in management team can get it sorted ??

I recently watched him play the full Scotland U21 match against Turkey and on that showing he is far from ready for our first team.

Our midfield may need a freshen up at this time but, unfortunately, Stephen Kelly is not the answer at the moment.
Basing that on one performance is harsh no ? He had an excellent pre season, playing with and against better players than the teams you mentioned.

We'll never know how good our youth players are if we keep them on the bench or worse. Would Kelly be any worse than what Lundstram has shown for example ?

He’s most likely learning more training with Davis and Kamara than he would another SPL loan. I hope he gets time soon, but he’s vying for places with guys like Aribo, Arfield, Lundstram etc

Think Gerrard addressed this last week after Tav smashed in his worldie. Patterson is progressing well and will get plenty of games this season and will eventually become the right back for us.

Think a lot of fans need to panicking about it.

I love Patterson and the idea of a young kid breaking through but he's developing fine.

Give an example of when Lundstram has given an outstanding performance.
I’m not sure why you’re bringing Lundstrum in to a debate on whether Stephen Kelly should replace Steve Davis or not tomorrow.

I don’t think Kelly will start tomorrow, but do agree we need a bit of freshness.

Arfield will come in for one of Davis or Lundstram imo.
Reckon we’ll make a few changes tomorrow (obviously at least one enforced, likely two enforced), and a few changes again for livi

The most important game of the season so far (think about it) is not a time for that, the tried and tested must start.
Aye it is but we are sleeping walking into a slump. Need to change it. We have not played that well in many games. Livi, Ross county in spells and 2nd half against celtic. Other than that stale imo.

There is no way Gerrard is dropping both Lundstram and Davis for a league match against a side that give us problems and will be out to frustrate from the get go. Probably looking at something like this. Possibly Arfield in from the start. Can’t see Sakala, Bacuna or Kelly starting.

McLaughlin
Lundstram Davis Kamara
Aribo Roofe Wright

Agree, It'll be something like this. But I'd prefer to see Kelly and/or Patterson as well. Its frustrating but not as frustrating as dropping points at home.

More chance of Gerry Kelly starting its flag day and we are just after a defeat, it’ll be strongest 11 fit and available simple and that’s no offence to Kelly it’s just a fact.

Basing that on one performance is harsh no ? He had an excellent pre season, playing with and against better players than the teams you mentioned.

We'll never know how good our youth players are if we keep them on the bench or worse. Would Kelly be any worse than what Lundstram has shown for example ?
I’d rather take a view on a player from a 90 minute competitive performance rather than a 5, 10, 15, 20 minute cameo in pre-season.

I could flip your point and say he was poorer playing with and against lesser players in the U21 game. Both points mean nothing.

I’m not sure why you’re bringing Lundstrum in to a debate on whether Stephen Kelly should replace Steve Davis or not tomorrow.
That's not what the thread title says, as you're fully aware.

Still waiting on your example of an outstanding performance from Lundstram though ? None of pur midfielders have really performed so far this season, not anywhere near enough to keep Kelly out the match day squad anyway. That's the debate in the OP.

Reactions: BWO
That's not what the thread title says, as you're fully aware.

Still waiting on your example of an outstanding performance from Lundstram though ? None of pur midfielders have really performed so far this season, not anywhere near enough to keep Kelly out the match day squad anyway. That's the debate in the OP.
Go and read the OP again, not just the title.

It clearly infers that Davis needs a rest and that Kelly is the man for the job.

He’s not and it’s a possibility that neither is Lundstrum.

However, after listening to yesterday’s press conferences I’d imagine that Lundstrum would get the nod if SG decides to rest Davis.

The most important game of the season so far (think about it) is not a time for that, the tried and tested must start.
The tried and tested have been poor and struggled from pre-season friendlies up till now other than Madrid. The only time we've looked like we had energy was when in a couple of those friendlies with the normally bit part players in the side.

I would love yo see young Kelly getting a start and getting his chance to show us what he can do.

I don't see much changing while we are grinding out results. Likely the only way fringe players will come in is if we start dropping silly points.

I wasn’t doubting you mate, more corroborating the Rangers fan part :))
The fact you stated your mate played for them in the Port and where the only Rangers supporters in the group is a bit of bullshit mate.. What team did he play for in the Port? Because the one i know he played for had very few poets.

McLaughlin
Lundstram Davis Kamara
Aribo Roofe Wright

Agree, and he’s right. All this screaming for changes will see a massive reaction from the same people if he makes changes and they don’t work. Start with your strongest abd introduce changes as required.

The fact you stated your mate played for them in the Port and where the only Rangers supporters in the group is a bit of bullshit mate.. What team did he play for in the Port? Because the one i know he played for had very few poets.
The same Port Glasgow side as Kelly when they were younger, said them two were pretty much the only Rangers fans in it.

Agree. Team looks like it needs an injection of enthusiasm and energy. He showed up well in preseason and deserves his chance

He’s not the type of manager to throw in a youngster unless it’s the last resort, playing Balogun at right back twice before accepting it’s not a valid option shows that.

There comes a point when we need to start trusting our young academy players. It is part of our model going forward and we need to give the young players a chance.

Incidentally Bluestreak FYI we've played 11 competitive games so far this season. Won 5 Lost 4 Drawn 1. So out of the 11 games we've played we haven't lost only 54% of the time.
Yes I know but the important ones we’re winning,don’t let Europe distract you,we’re in there and earning,the league is vital so I prefer P5 W4 L1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back