Ian Durrant

Unbelievable player,pity he was robbed of probably 3 years of football,would have arguably gone on to be one of Scotland's greatest midfielders,to come back and have the career he did speaks volumes

Expanding on this thread and probably one for older Bears, would it be a fair shout to compare Jim Baxter with Ian Durrant?

My Dad still raves about Baxter to this day, but in my opinion I think Ian Durrant was as good a midfielder......but I only saw Baxter on video.

He was incredible. Reminded me of Gascoigne. The huge turnout at his comeback game for the reserves showed how highly regarded he was.

When Ray Wilkins was a panelist for TV in the 1990 World Cup, all the talk was about how good Gazza was. Wilkins said that the only better midfielder in Britain was Durrant, and Wilkins certainly knew about playing in midfield.

Durrant was brilliant he was by far my favourite midfielder sad that sheep scumbag got away with that still remember it like it was yesterday he’s blue he’s white he fuucking dynamite is Ian Durrant

One of my all time favourite players. He just glided around the pitch.

The goal in Marseille will live with me forever.

11515516obj-js1025260-e1483711936990.jpg

That "tackle" got a yellow card.
That picture!!!
Ian had a good career but unfortunately didn’t reach the absolute heights he would have if that disgusting ”tackle” hadn’t happened. He was a wonderful player who to his credit didn’t wallow in self-sympathy as many lesser people would have done.

It says it all that even after that horrendous injury, two of Scotland's finest midfielders of the modern era (Strachan and Gary Mac) couldn't get near Durrant during the Battle of Britain games.

Durrant was an unreal talent and would have graced any of the top teams in England nowadays. Honoured to say I had the pleasure of witnessing all of his goals against ‘them’.
Was only a young lad when he was assaulted as well how good he would have become makes me fume. I can’t remember who was Aberdeen manager at the time. Sure someone will as it disturbs me that he was obviously told to stop him.

Durrant and Klos still make me sad/angry...two genuine class players whose career was ruined by two needless "tackles"

was rumoured that Durrant got in the region of 2m damages from him - which is paltry considering the games he missed and even a potential transfer.

Football: Durrant settles out of court RUPERT METCALF | Thursday 4 February 1993 01:02 |

THE LEGAL action brought by Ian Durrant, the Rangers and Scotland midfielder, against a player who caused him a serious injury has been settled out of court. Durrant, who was 21 when a tackle from Neil Simpson tore both the cruciate ligaments in his right knee during a Scottish Premier Division match at Aberdeen in October 1988, accepted an undisclosed sum, after claiming damages of pounds 2m against Simpson and Aberdeen.

The court action, in which Simpson and Aberdeen denied liability, was due to start yesterday in Edinburgh. Durrant's case for damages was based on claims that he missed substantial bonus payments and sponsorship income as a first-team player with Rangers and also missed Scotland's World Cup campaign of 1990 and last year's European Championship finals. Durrant, who had won five caps before his injury, resumed his playing career in 1991, after extensive treatment in Britain and the United States. He has since returned to the Scotland team.

Simpson, a former Scottish international who is now with Motherwell, had claimed that both players had been chasing a loose ball, and he had mistimed his manoeuvre to control it. However, Durrant had alleged that the tackle was an 'act of extreme recklessness.' In a similar case in England four years ago, Danny Thomas, the former Tottenham full-back, sued for damages against Gavin Maguire, the Portsmouth defender who was then with Queen's Park Rangers, and received pounds 130,000 in an out-of-court settlement, after suffering a knee injury in a game at White Hart Lane which ended his playing days.

Was only a young lad when he was assaulted as well how good he would have become makes me fume. I can’t remember who was Aberdeen manager at the time. Sure someone will as it disturbs me that he was obviously told to stop him.
I’ve got a feeling it was Alex Smith who was the manager of them at the time. To think they tried to lay the blame at Phil boersma for the way he carried Durrant off the pitch.

I’ve got a feeling it was Alex Smith who was the manager of them at the time. To think they tried to lay the blame at Phil boersma for the way he carried Durrant off the pitch.
cheers obviously wasn’t instructed to almost end his career but it still angers me how we missed out on the talent he had and the possible transfer fee we would have got at the time as he was going to be one of the best attacking midfielders in Europe

I just missed the age where I would've been able to appreciate him before his injury. Always remember his goal against Marseille

This for me, that European run and that goal had this bear and his family glued to a tv in Sheffield and cemented their devotion to all things Rangers. Up yours Simpson ya filthy animal!

A genius of a player , loved the way he ghosted in and around the box . Must been a nightmare to defend against. Also the character he showed to comeback alter his style and still be a tremendous player .
nothing but hatred for that dirty bastard simpson

One of the few players I was starstruck by. Met him in Sydney in 2010 and he happily chatted away and posed for photos. They say never meet your heroes but he was great.

Had the day off today, so watched Ian Durrant - Dynamite dvd.

What a player he was! Brilliant!

Still rage against that bsatard Simpson for the tackle that could've ended his career.

Genuinely had the potential to be a world class midfielder. Hid runs into the box and the telepathy he had with McCoist was exceptional.

The wee man would have been the Scottish Gazza if it wasn't for that bastard Simpson fucking reptile

He became a very good player he could have been great. His goals 92/93 season were phenomenonal. Simpson is a scumbag.

was 100% targeted, absolutely sickening.

My memory might be playing tricks but Im sure he had a couple of comebacks for the reserves. I remeber going to 1 against either Hibs or St Johnstone. Only time I was in the west enclosure. I think he might have scored also.

I was just a young boy when this happened did Simpson receive a retrospective ban for this or was it not a thing back then?.

My memory might be playing tricks but Im sure he had a couple of comebacks for the reserves. I remeber going to 1 against either Hibs or St Johnstone. Only time I was in the west enclosure. I think he might have scored also.

Think it was Hibs and around 15,000 turned up!

Back