Ian Ferguson - How did he only get nine Scotland caps?

Fergie was a gifted player who never looked out of place in the nine in a row era. Played in whatever role was required and scored many important goals. International Caps go to those whose face fits and to managers’ favourites.

Did Gough catch the ball on the half way line vs Switzerland in a wcq in 92? I thought that was when they fell out. I was quite young and can't really remember
I'm sure he said that the ball came off a sprinkler and changed direction and he instinctively handled it.

Fergie was up against the likes of Gary McAllister Stuart McCall Paul McStay and John Collins but still criminal that guys like Jim McInally Scott Gemmell and Craig Burley got call ups before him.

Yeah think this caused a problem, can't remember what game this happened at, but didn't feel he was a fan of the Tartan Trannies.
0-0 against Estonia in Monaco?

Replay of the game that never was.

Did Gough getting bombed out have to do with an argument about socks?
Gough had a fall out with Andy Roxburgh on a plane journey because he wouldn't join in on one of the daft games Roxburgh wanted the squad to play.
Didn't help that a lot of the media were on the same flight
Gough should have had 100 plus caps

I think John Brown got called up to a squad in the early 90's but had no hope under Roxburgh of getting a starting place, so bomber felt he was just there to make up numbers and told Roxburgh not to bother.

There was a story going about at the time that Roxburgh didn't like white tape on socks. He allegedly coloured in the white tape to match the colour of the socks. Probably bollox but who knows?

He (RG) mentions that in his book, and maybe why that was a reason (jokingly I’m sure...) that John Brown was always overlooked as he was a fan of the tape in his sock to hold his shinnies in place

Ian Ferguson got a lot of stick off rangers fans as he was blighted by injuries and illness Which affected his form, Walter got a lot of stick for playing Ferguson and McCall together.

McCall played for Scotland and I don’t think I you would chose to play the 2 of them together at that level. He should have had more and John brown not getting a cap was disgraceful

Wee story about Ian

We done the interview on the phone (for pod) and it didn’t work out at all, so he phoned and said quality really poor what you doing today

I said nothing so he popped over and sat in my conservatory as we recorded the podcast

He is an absolute gent, brilliant with me and my boys. Loves our club

That’s just me, stupid wee podcaster blogger nerd but he wanted it perfect for the fans

To say I was thrilled was an understatement
An absolute legend to the core. A true blue in every sense of the word

Wee story about Ian

We done the interview on the phone (for pod) and it didn’t work out at all, so he phoned and said quality really poor what you doing today

I said nothing so he popped over and sat in my conservatory as we recorded the podcast

He is an absolute gent, brilliant with me and my boys. Loves our club

That’s just me, stupid wee podcaster blogger nerd but he wanted it perfect for the fans

To say I was thrilled was an understatement
Brilliant - love that.

Gough had a fall out as he wanted to relax on a flight when Roxburgh and Brown wanted the players to join in stupid games.

This is 100% true, I used to spend a lot of time with Bomber Brown due to something we were both involved with and asked him the question about Gough and Scotland. Bomber said it started due to the fact that Gough wanted to sit and quietly read a book whilst he travelled and Roxburgh wasn’t happy with this, he wanted him involved with silly games he had laid on and that’s how the whole thing started.

This is 100% true, I used to spend a lot of time with Bomber Brown due to something we were both involved with and asked him the question about Gough and Scotland. Bomber said it started due to the fact that Gough wanted to sit and quietly read a book whilst he travelled and Roxburgh wasn’t happy with this, he wanted him involved with silly games he had laid on and that’s how the whole thing started.

How come the Scotland management and the SFA had so many utter dullards over the years?

The most bland, boring, gormless, uncharismatic cvnts..

Andy Roxburgh
George Peat
Craig Brown
Jim Farry

They were all like death warmed up!

Boyd was average, but there's not many players can say they scored the winner for Brazil in a world cup match. :D

At the time I was raging about that, but looking back on it now it was actually quite funny!

First game of the tournament, Scotland playing Brazil, a sense of national pride, the whole world watching..

Tom Boyd own goal!

Back