Ian Ferguson - How did he only get nine Scotland caps?

Can only ever remember him playing for the national team once to be truthful, I’m sure it was the rearranged match in Monaco after the farce in Estonia him and I think big Dunc got a bit of agro from the support and he gave them some verbals back

Gough had several fall outs with Roxburgh.

Gough said Roxburgh(more than once) was briefing journalists behind his back that Gough was faking injuries to not play for Scotland. Almost ended up in a fight at Glasgow Airport.
I remember my dad saying that mate, was before my time

Gough said Roxburgh(more than once) was briefing journalists behind his back that Gough was faking injuries to not play for Scotland. Almost ended up in a fight at Glasgow Airport.

Doubt it would be a fight more a case of a single punch thrown and Andy going to sleep.

The Scotland team in the 90s should have been filled with Rangers players. We were hugely successful and would have potentially carried that form into the international arena.

The fact that Durrant/ I Ferguson / Robertson / Bomber got so few caps between them is an absolute disgrace tbh.

There was a story going about at the time that Roxburgh didn't like white tape on socks. He allegedly coloured in the white tape to match the colour of the socks. Probably bollox but who knows?
Matching kit, the story was the coaching staff wanted players to look the same. Before a big game Brown was running about with a marker pen colouring in players tape just before they walked down the tunnel.

Gough called that out.

Roxburgh and Brown had their favourites and there were a few pundits who said it was easier to get in the squad than get out of it. Two that I remember were McKiimmie, who had been dropped by the Sheep for months, and Kevin Gallagher, who was so far out of the picture at Newcastle when Brown phoned Newcastle to say he'd been selected, he was told he'd been freed the month before. There were a number of Rangers players, at that time, who were badly treated. I would even include Ally in that, who always seemed to be dropped when someone else appeared.

Tbh he jacked the Scotland team in same as Robertson after being passed over for diddies.Quite right too.

I'm sure Fergie told another player (cannot remember who) to stop clapping the Scotland fans when they were walking off after getting beaten (or not winning), as they were getting dogs abuse. Swore a bit but not at the fans. He was obviously in a foul mood anyway as he hated losing (not winning) as we all know. That was years and years after his 1st cap and was probably his last. He was a cracking player when fit and should have had loads more International appearances. There wasn't many better about. That's just not true. Certainty not to keep him out a full squad. 1st 11 fair enough, but not a full squad.
As for Robertson i think he let it be know he wasn't interested in flying here there and everywhere to sit on, or not even make the bench. Another who should have had loads of caps. Miles better than Tom Boyd.

Cooper only won about 20 caps, we had some incredible talent in those days that couldn't get near the team. When Gough couldn't get a game and Leighton was chosen over Goram you knew there was something more than football reasons behind team selections
Mind when Leighton was in goals for Hibs,and Juke Box walked around him to put in goal number seven......the whole of Ibrox sang `Scotland`s,Scotland`s, number one` at him. :))

Ian Ferguson to have only nine caps is a travesty,when fuds like the promising youngster
got game after game.

I'm sure Fergie told another player (cannot remember who) to stop clapping the Scotland fans when they were walking off after getting beaten (or not winning), as they were getting dogs abuse. Swore a bit but not at the fans. He was obviously in a foul mood anyway as he hated losing (not winning) as we all know. That was years and years after his 1st cap and was probably his last. He was a cracking player when fit and should have had loads more International appearances. There wasn't many better about. That's just not true. Certainty not to keep him out a full squad. 1st 11 fair enough, but not a full squad.
As for Robertson i think he let it be know he wasn't interested in flying here there and everywhere to sit on, or not even make the bench. Another who should have had loads of caps. Miles better than Tom Boyd.

That is what happened.

The Tartan Army were booing the players as they were walking off the park at the end of the game and he said to one player ‘what are you clapping they b***tards for’.

Was picked up clear as a bell on TV and he was never chosen for any of the squads again.

Management of Scotland was baffling in that era. Roxburgh had never managed anyone but the Scotland youth. He passed to Craig Brown who had only managed Clyde, prior to Scotland youth teams.

The Scottish mafia - Roxburgh and Brown - who were the most boring management team imaginable, had their favourites, who no matter how badly they played were still selected. Hence the reason players like Fergie got overlooked.

That is what happened.

The Tartan Army were booing the players as they were walking off the park at the end of the game and he said to one player ‘what are you clapping they b***tards for’.

Was picked up clear as a bell on TV and he was never chosen for any of the squads again.

These 'fans' should be called out by the mainstream media on a regular basis for their booing of national anthems (including their own) and booing of their own players because they play for a certain club.

Won't hold my breath though.

Absolute cretins.

Roxburgh was coaching schoolboys before he got the job. He must have selected boys who were being raped at Celtic Boys Club, he must have known the stories going around but never, as far as we know informed any authorities.Maybe certain players with morals didn't want to know about playing for the cnt. Didn't he blame Goughie for the doing in Portugal, If I remember rightly he told Goughie to play as Sweeper when the squad had never even practised that formation.Threw Goughie under the bus and told him he'd never play for his country again. Goughie had to be pulled off him on the plane.

Roxburgh was coaching schoolboys before he got the job. He must have selected boys who were being raped at Celtic Boys Club, he must have known the stories going around but never, as far as we know informed any authorities.Maybe certain players with morals didn't want to know about playing for the cnt. Didn't he blame Goughie for the doing in Portugal, If I remember rightly he told Goughie to play as Sweeper when the squad had never even practised that formation.Threw Goughie under the bus and told him he'd never play for his country again. Goughie had to be pulled off him on the plane.

Did Gough catch the ball on the half way line vs Switzerland in a wcq in 92? I thought that was when they fell out. I was quite young and can't really remember

Wee story about Ian

We done the interview on the phone (for pod) and it didn’t work out at all, so he phoned and said quality really poor what you doing today

I said nothing so he popped over and sat in my conservatory as we recorded the podcast

He is an absolute gent, brilliant with me and my boys. Loves our club

That’s just me, stupid wee podcaster blogger nerd but he wanted it perfect for the fans

To say I was thrilled was an understatement
Is he back living in Scotland?

I was very young but one of my very first favourite players

Boyd has 60 plus.

Davie Robertson has at the most 5.

Says it all, little wonder most Bears I know gave up on the National team. Boyd was average at his best.

Boyd was a superior player to Robertson most of his career, give over. Just because he has become a Tim mouthpiece in his retirement doesn’t suddenly make him a bad player.

I agree with you. I thought Fergie was an average/good player in a very good team. Liked him as he was one of us, but didn’t think he was anything special on the pitch.

Too many revisionists on FF these days. Your opinion was shared by most Bears back then. There was point in his first couple of years where Ian was looking more like becoming Greg Docherty, rather than a club legend. The reality is that Fergie has become a far better player since he retired because we under appreciated him at the time, and in hindsight he is now recognized because he played all through 9 in a row, unlike the far superior players who played for half of them. I don’t remember feeling at the time that Fergie was being consistently replaced by inferior players in the Scotland team.

Boyd was a superior player to Robertson most of his career, give over. Just because he has become a Tim mouthpiece in his retirement doesn’t suddenly make him a bad player.
Whit?

Tom Boyd was not the complete diddy many of here have him badged as, presumably because by the end of his career he was cringe-inducingly bad and post his career he’s even worse, but at no point, ever, was he a superior player to Davie Robertson.

Robertson was the best left back in Scotland by a country mile. Utterly unrivalled in that position. Whatever the reason he got such a paltry cap total, it was not because he wasn’t as good as Tom fucking Boyd.

There was definitely favourites under Roxburgh and Brown and the perception was that quiet guys who turned up, picked up their caps and didn't question management would keep getting picked. The culture at us at the time was very different, our players would question each other and pull people up if they were underperforming. The difference was that Smith commanded a level of respect that Scotland managers didn't.
I agree, the Scotland management were school teachers who did not like any of their decisions to be questioned plus our players were used to picking up winners medals something that Roxburgh & Brown never did (tho' maybe a bad injury hampered Brown in that respect, perhaps better well informed Bears than myself can enlightnen me on Brown's playing ability as he was on our books at one point). Reeks of a "small man " Mentality.

No he was over from Australi

It’s my own podcast called 4ladshadadream, Ian Ferguson last week, Alex McLeish this week and Next, then Michael Ball, then Stuart McCall - that’s running order for recently

Many many thanks

I agree with you. I thought Fergie was an average/good player in a very good team. Liked him as he was one of us, but didn’t think he was anything special on the pitch.

Too right mate.

He was a very gifted footballer, but with him being surrounded by so many stars around him he didn't stand out in the Rangers teams he played in back in the day.

A large part of his appeal was him being so staunch.

I was never outraged by his lack of caps at the time and thought it was fair enough. He wasn't left out unfairly IMO. I always had a bee in my bunnet with the whole Goram/Leighton thing.. there was no contest between them!

Rangers became bigger than Scottish football itself during the Souness era and the SFA hated us for it and players like Ian Ferguson and Davie Robertson were punished for it.

Back