Ian Ferguson - How did he only get nine Scotland caps?

Maurice malpas in the hall of fame.

Tim Boyd must have had about 50 odd too.

Scott Booth another donkey, how he got a move to germany is beyond me.

A mixture of strong completion, plus there was a period when Aitken was captain making him un droppable. The best illustration could be when Scotland beat France 2 nil at Hampden and Ferguson in his best form was played on the left of a midfield 4. Against that a 2 nil win against France is the stuff of dreams for any Scottish team.

Injuries and illness.

TBF, Brown rated him highly and Ferguson said so himself.

Plenty of absolute diddies with 40+ caps for Scotland. How did Fergie have so few?
Hate. Some folk talk like it was a 2012 thing but it has always been there the 40 years I’ve been watching us.

None of the Scots in that team got as many caps as they should have bar Goughie and Stuart Mc. Look at the Scotland teams from that decade and just guffaw at some of the shite that played too.

Wee story about Ian

We done the interview on the phone (for pod) and it didn’t work out at all, so he phoned and said quality really poor what you doing today

I said nothing so he popped over and sat in my conservatory as we recorded the podcast

He is an absolute gent, brilliant with me and my boys. Loves our club

That’s just me, stupid wee podcaster blogger nerd but he wanted it perfect for the fans

To say I was thrilled was an understatement
He’s brilliant just like me or you, a gentleman

Never seen him in a Scotland kit. Weird how some really special players for us didn't really do it on the national stage.

Hate. Some folk talk like it was a 2012 thing but it has always been there the 40 years I’ve been watching us.

None of the Scots in that team got as many caps as they should have bar Goughie and Stuart Mc. Look at the Scotland teams from that decade and just guffaw at some of the shite that played too.

Did Gough getting bombed out have to do with an argument about socks?

There was definitely favourites under Roxburgh and Brown and the perception was that quiet guys who turned up, picked up their caps and didn't question management would keep getting picked. The culture at us at the time was very different, our players would question each other and pull people up if they were underperforming. The difference was that Smith commanded a level of respect that Scotland managers didn't.

Alan Hansen should have been a mainstay in the side for a decade.

They had their favourites.

Ian was unlucky but had more talent than many
I don't think Hansen was suited to playing for Scotland as his style of play was made for a team that kept possession of the ball. Also Willie Miller was an excellent player and his partnership with big Alex McLeish was the base of Aberdeen's success. When you look at the fact that around the time we had Hegarty and Narey of Dundee United too that all would walk into the Scotland team now.

big Derek Johnststone too, outstanding Ranger C/f or C/F
a disgrace he never got more caps
pre Argentina 78, he was on fire at club level and international level, an absoloute joke he never got the chance to shine at that world cup

Wee story about Ian

We done the interview on the phone (for pod) and it didn’t work out at all, so he phoned and said quality really poor what you doing today

I said nothing so he popped over and sat in my conservatory as we recorded the podcast

That’s just me, stupid wee podcaster blogger nerd but he wanted it perfect for the fans

Well jealous mate

How awesome must in be sitting in your own house having a chat with Fergie.

Will give this a listen

hard to believe Ian Ferguson only got 9 caps, what a player he was
what's even harder to believe is
the wonderful Super Davie Cooper only got 22 caps?
when you look at the Scotland hall of fame , it beggars belief when you see the amount of donkeys there

Between 80 and 86 most weeks Coop looked as if he couldn't be arsed . That should have been his peak years of 24 to 30.

Great stuff mate...

Wee story about Ian

Fergie was a great player. Hampered a bit by injuries but he was by far and away better than most of the clowns that pulled on a Scotland strip. I'm biased but I'll never forget the night at capielow when we played Morton and Fergie was in the Rangers end while still a St Mirren player.
Guys a legend.

Back