Ian Maxwell disciplinary system still fit for purpose

uneasydaz

Scottish FA chief executive Ian Maxwell has defended the governing body's disciplinary system after a season of controversy that saw one club allege bias in decision making.

A series of high-profile incidents throughout the season saw fans and clubs question consistency in how rules were applied, not only by referees during games but particularly after the match when players and managers can be cited for offences that match officials haven't seen fully.

Maxwell played down the controversy, believing that clubs would always be unhappy with decisions that go against them. Speaking after the organisations AGM, he said no member club had proposed major changes when given the opportunity.

I think refereeing decisions have been contentious since the start of football," he told STV. "That's what we like to sit in the pub and talk about, how we would have done it differently and what the referee sees or doesn't see.

"I think there were challenges last season and we've engaged with clubs.

"Clubs throughout the Judicial Panel Protocol review process have ample opportunity throughout the season to propose changes that they would like to see to the disciplinary process and we didn't receive anything significant over the season.

"I'm sure once the games kick off again there'll be a few decisions that people are unhappy with but that's just football."

Scottish FA compliance officer Clare Whyte has the role of issuing notices of complaint where it is believed rules have been broken and Maxwell defended Whyte in January when he felt that criticism of her role had become "personal and unfair".

Asked after the AGM if he felt that continued criticism was unjustified, he said people didn't understand her role or the system but that work would be done to make that clear.

"I think a lot of it is unfounded because the compliance officer doesn't actually make any decisions," he said. "She just oversees the judicial process. So the compliance officer isn't involved in the decision-making process as such.

"Other individuals, whether it's the refereeing panel or the judicial panel, are the ones who make the decision but the compliance officer has been portrayed as the figurehead who decides everything but that isn't actually the case. I'm sure that understanding will become a bit clearer over the next season.

"I think [education] helps. Even the laws of the game, a lot of supporters will sit in the stand and talk about a decision but they don't understand the law and why the referee made the decision he made.

"Education is a big element and we did try it over the season and it's something we can continue to focus on."

Rangers were among the most vocal critics of the SFA last season and claimed their players "appear to be being held to a different code of conduct" to those at other clubs.

Maxwell rejected that allegation, saying: "There is absolutely no club treated any differently from another. I can 100% confirm that is the case.

"Rangers are obviously going to be entitled to their opinion and I think every club thinks every decision they are on the end of is the worst decision in football. That's just part and parcel of the game

Scottish FA chief executive Ian Maxwell has defended the governing body's disciplinary system after a season of controversy that saw one club allege bias in decision making.

A series of high-profile incidents throughout the season saw fans and clubs question consistency in how rules were applied, not only by referees during games but particularly after the match when players and managers can be cited for offences that match officials haven't seen fully.

Maxwell played down the controversy, believing that clubs would always be unhappy with decisions that go against them. Speaking after the organisations AGM, he said no member club had proposed major changes when given the opportunity.

I think refereeing decisions have been contentious since the start of football," he told STV. "That's what we like to sit in the pub and talk about, how we would have done it differently and what the referee sees or doesn't see.

"Clubs throughout the Judicial Panel Protocol review process have ample opportunity throughout the season to propose changes that they would like to see to the disciplinary process and we didn't receive anything significant over the season.

"I'm sure once the games kick off again there'll be a few decisions that people are unhappy with but that's just football."

Scottish FA compliance officer Clare Whyte has the role of issuing notices of complaint where it is believed rules have been broken and Maxwell defended Whyte in January when he felt that criticism of her role had become "personal and unfair".

Asked after the AGM if he felt that continued criticism was unjustified, he said people didn't understand her role or the system but that work would be done to make that clear.

"I think a lot of it is unfounded because the compliance officer doesn't actually make any decisions," he said. "She just oversees the judicial process. So the compliance officer isn't involved in the decision-making process as such.

"Other individuals, whether it's the refereeing panel or the judicial panel, are the ones who make the decision but the compliance officer has been portrayed as the figurehead who decides everything but that isn't actually the case. I'm sure that understanding will become a bit clearer over the next season.

"I think [education] helps. Even the laws of the game, a lot of supporters will sit in the stand and talk about a decision but they don't understand the law and why the referee made the decision he made.

"Education is a big element and we did try it over the season and it's something we can continue to focus on."

Rangers were among the most vocal critics of the SFA last season and claimed their players "appear to be being held to a different code of conduct" to those at other clubs.

Maxwell rejected that allegation, saying: "There is absolutely no club treated any differently from another. I can 100% confirm that is the case.

"Rangers are obviously going to be entitled to their opinion and I think every club thinks every decision they are on the end of is the worst decision in football. That's just part and parcel of the game

Maxwell is obviously part of the problem after those BS comments.

Rangers were among the most vocal critics of the SFA last season and claimed their players "appear to be being held to a different code of conduct" to those at other clubs.Maxwell rejected that allegation, saying: "There is absolutely no club treated any differently from another. I can 100% confirm that is the case."Rangers are obviously going to be entitled to their opinion and I think every club thinks every decision they are on the end of is the worst decision in football. That's just part and parcel of the game.

If this is Maxwell's account of the state of play I would very much like to hear the clubs version.There can be no room for pussyfooting around, just tell it like it is FFS.

Joke of an organisation and Maxwell has zero credibility or proven track record to be appointed into that post.

He has no professional qualifications and to be appointed CE of SFA after a stint at Thistle is not good enough

He’s another Lieswell puppet and out of his depth

If Rangers are not opposing the current CO process formally and at the AGM then we really need to ask why ?

Also did we vote against Petrie being appointed ?

Sounds as if he was unopposed

Rangers should have voted against his appointment

So he sneers down his nose and thinks Football supporters are thick and need educating of the rules of football they may have played and watched for decades?

Toffee nosed (unt so he is !

Compliance officer speltic fan number of speltic players cited who can guess the correct numberwas Maxwell's face like this

So only one club had an issue with referees, the disciplinary system and allegations of bias last season? Clarke, levein and Lennon all spoke out about it at certain points, guess they don't represent their clubs when they speak.

Compliance officer speltic fan number of speltic players cited who can guess the correct numberwas Maxwell's face like this

35jglsl.jpg

When the Peasants are correctly thrown out of Scottish football by the SPFL and SFA, then and only then will the disciplinary system be fit for purpose. Morelos season alone was destroyed by these corrupt scum.

Weak schoolboy with a blazer

So we are in for the same Fcking shite again next season and the foreseeable ?

What a total joke . That’s us fcuked and I’m nit exaggerating .

The system and Mrs Whyte are simply not fit for purpose and I expected it to be scrapped this close season .

How can he possibly say it doesn’t favour one club ?? Look at the stats you moron .

An unbelievable statement from someone completely out of his depth. Rangers need to get on to him sharpish and let him know, in no uncertain terms, that another season of bias from the CO is unacceptable.
Petrie is another clown who should not be in office at the SFA, he is a moron.

So Maxwell thinks that the disciplinary system is OK. Seem to recall that the guy who he appointed to be the national team manager didn’t think so.

Though we were critical, there were other clubs that believe the system to be flawed and not fit for purpose. So what does the SFA do? They stick there head in the sand.

another puppet for Lawwell.

Did the lesser spotted Maxwell have anything to say about the child abuse that is rampant at one of his member clubs?
STV trailed a 'Big' interview however the questions were written by a tired five year old.

So Maxwell states the Compliance Officer does not make any decisions !

So what exactly does her job entail, apart from infuriating Rangers mostly and other clubs occasionally ??

It appears to me that Clare Whyte is a wage thief from her employer the SFA, picking up an annual salary for no constructive input whatsoever

I hope our Manager is taking heed of what's about to repeat itself again next season. We have the squad now to win this League, but refs and the SFA will do their worst to ensure it doesn't happen.

So he sneers down his nose and thinks Football supporters are thick and need educating of the rules of football they may have played and watched for decades?

Toffee nosed (unt so he is !
It’s his fecking officials that need educating on the rules of football and actually officiate on said rules and not what their mentally challenged masters demand of them. They really do have the Scottish game sewn up while our own club remain silent.

I hope our Manager is taking heed of what's about to repeat itself again next season. We have the squad now to win this League, but refs and the SFA will do their worst to ensure it doesn't happen.
A fact that unfortunately is lost on most of our support and more so the silent people who run our club, many, and by feck there is many that don’t get being screwed over by the complete cowards masquerading as referees will have as big a baring on our championship hopes as any bad result we might have.

Back