Ian McCall - It is a totally sacrilegious thing in Scotland, ‘oh don’t slag Kieran Tierney

Tierney shat it from Jason Holt in an Old Firm game, and was a key player of the Celtic team that got regularly pummelled in Europe. Robertson has his flaws defensively, but he's a much better player than Tierney and someone who rises to big occasions.

Crichton is getting a bit of stick for her comments. Tims seem too thick to realise they're proving her point.
Worth targeting him in Dec? Keep him pinned back trying to defend. Modern FB's ain't great...as we know.
He does get forward well and his delivery into opponents box is generally good. He targets the pen spot and thats what over lapping FB's should be doing.
Decent pace to 'break out' which makes him effective into the area he crosses from so press him back, limit supply and expose him...Cande & Tav.
Sorry if thats too much actual football stuff...ha ha

He made another good point in relation to playing Robertson as a wing back rather than fullback in a back 4 in that he isn’t as effective at wing back as his strengths are his ability to come from deep as the 3rd man runner. This becomes more difficult if he is playing 30 yards further forward.
The same reason why it would be idiotic to push Tavernier forward as many have suggested here.

Depends what the argument is here. If it's who is the better player, then obviously Robertson is miles better than Tierney. Tirney is overrated. However, that doesn't mean you drop Tierney from the Scotland team, if that is the actual argument. He should still play in that Scotland team ahead of some bang average players. We've only one class player and that's Roberston. We still need to pick 10 more though
Ahumm...Shagger is class!

He's overrated.

He plays for the wannabe Irish team.

He isn't Scottish.

That's enough to not pick him.

Easy tiger. Close to World Class...

Absolutely is. He mixes it regularly with the top players currently gracing the game and never looks out of place. In fact, he often stands out. Decision making is excellent, control and ability to beat players. He really is a class player. Whether he can sustain it is another thing, as he may just have hit an incredible run of form, but if he keeps going the way he is he will be remembered for a long long time.

Tierney is a very good SPFL player, however it's completely different playing pish in our league every week to someone like Robertson who plays against players of a far higher caliber (sometimes the best in the world), week in, week out.
Tierney could go on to play at a higher level, but he will need to leave Scotland to improve.

Last edited:
I listened to the phone in for a wee while earlier and couldn't believe the shite they were spouting!

I think it was Jim Duffy and Mark Guidi...they said that there's nothing between Tierney and Robertson other than the level Robertson's playing at.

Duffy then went on to say he believes Tierney is the best young left back in Europe.

A couple of tims phoned up having a go at McLeish for having an agenda against Celtic players and one of them asked why Tierney has been moved from his favoured position - he couldn't accept or understand that Robertson is better than him.

Worth targeting him in Dec? Keep him pinned back trying to defend. Modern FB's ain't great...as we know.
He does get forward well and his delivery into opponents box is generally good. He targets the pen spot and thats what over lapping FB's should be doing.
Decent pace to 'break out' which makes him effective into the area he crosses from so press him back, limit supply and expose him...Cande & Tav.
Sorry if thats too much actual football stuff...ha ha

If need be we could buy him in January and loan him back if we're thinking of him for next season, but if we can get him on a pre-contract all the better.

I listened to the phone in for a wee while earlier and couldn't believe the shite they were spouting!

I think it was Jim Duffy and Mark Guidi...they said that there's nothing between Tierney and Robertson other than the level Robertson's playing at.

Duffy then went on to say he believes Tierney is the best young left back in Europe.

A couple of tims phoned up having a go at McLeish for having an agenda against Celtic players and one of them asked why Tierney has been moved from his favoured position - he couldn't accept or understand that Robertson is better than him.

Supposed Duffy and Guidi aren't intelligent enough to realise the level they're playing at is an indicator of their respective talent.

Teirney is a good player up against poor competition. We will see how he gets on now that the league seems to be getting a bit stronger and ultimately we are becoming the Rangers everyone expects us to be.

And I won't even talk about his performances in Europe :oops: would make statue blush FFS.

Absolutely is. He mixes it regularly with the top players currently gracing the game and never looks out of place. In fact, he often stands out. Decision making is excellent, control and ability to beat players. He really is a class player. Whether he can sustain it is another thing, as he may just have hit an incredible run of form, but if he keeps going the way he is he will be remembered for a long long time.

He's a very good player with potential to get better I'll grant you that, but close to World Class is ott. Robertson has won a Scottish Cup. World Class players win big trophies regularly and play to a consistently high level over a period of seasons.

Robertson is some way off doing that not to mention the fact that when targeted, his defending can be suspect. I agree with some of the attributes that you list but until other factors fall into place he can only be regarded as a very good player.

He's a very good player with potential to get better I'll grant you that, but close to World Class is ott. Robertson has won a Scottish Cup. World Class players win big trophies regularly and play to a consistently high level over a period of seasons.

Robertson is some way off doing that not to mention the fact that when targeted, his defending can be suspect. I agree with some of the attributes that you list but until other factors fall into place he can only be regarded as a very good player.

I don’t think that defeat to Real Madrid in the CL final stops him being world class. He doesn’t automatically become a world class player if they win that game. Although, what world class is in itself isnt exactly clear cut.

Teams do target him, wrongly I think. He’s a better player than Alexander-Arnold for instance at RB.

There certainly aren’t many in the game at the moment playing as well as him at LB, although as I said it all depends on if he can keep it up over a long period.

Tierney never sings the national anthem. I fuc&@n hate that with players. Just proves he’s not proud to be Scottish - should be belting it out to get psyched up for the game. Doesn’t know how lucky he is - the little shit.

I don’t think that defeat to Real Madrid in the CL final stops him being world class. He doesn’t automatically become a world class player if they win that game. Although, what world class is in itself isnt exactly clear cut.

Teams do target him, wrongly I think. He’s a better player than Alexander-Arnold for instance at RB.

There certainly aren’t many in the game at the moment playing as well as him at LB, although as I said it all depends on if he can keep it up over a long period.
Fair enough mate, that's your opinion. I would say defining World Class, as a starting point, would be the ability to walk into any team in the world. If you reckon Robertson can or could do that, then good luck to you.

Fair enough mate, that's your opinion. I would say defining World Class, as a starting point, would be the ability to walk into any team in the world. If you reckon Robertson can or could do that, then good luck to you.

Well, maybe if Marcelo was injured... :D

Robertson is ahead, Tierney needs to leave Scotland to see how good he could be!
Both are over-rated in my opinion

Totally agree! Robertson has made a few mistakes recently, especially last week in Europe for the late goal, think he is pretty lucky to be where he is to be honest! Can put a decent cross in now and again but in my opinion crossing a decent ball is not actually that difficult and it constantly surprises me how poor some pro players are at it!

Tierney and the Hearts idiot sold the jerseys tonight. Tierney was woeful and anyone who watched Souttar bumbling around ineffectually for 30 minutes on Sunday whilst his team was being put to the sword would just never think he was international class.

Tierney never sings the national anthem. I fuc&@n hate that with players. Just proves he’s not proud to be Scottish - should be belting it out to get psyched up for the game. Doesn’t know how lucky he is - the little shit.

Shagger doesn’t either

Every time I have seen this wee rat faced weirdo play I think he wouldn't look out of place at aberdeen or hibs. Think I have seen him have one decent game against us but we were absolutely fucking dross so it wasn't surprising. Another one of their tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth pr department tactics.

It's not the national anthem though - it's just a song that's played before sporting events. Scotland, as a nation, has no national anthem - and if we must use one it should be God Save The Queen.

Couldn't pay me to sing Flower of Scotland. It's pish.

Flower of Scotland is not our National Anthem, God Save the Queen is

Flower of Scotland being called "the national anthem" by Rangers fans gies me the boak. It's a thinly veiled anti-Anglo song written by a rabid nationalist band that plays to the Braveheart crowd. Too fucking right McGregor doesn't sing it.

Chipping in for a different perspective perhaps.

I was both born and live in the town of Tierney’s birth, and can tell you there are a fair whack of people that follow him closely here.

Suffice it to say that it’s a fairly proud and patriotic place. Despite that, the majority opinion is that he is an English Championship level defender who is made to look good running at Hamilton Accies right backs. Talk of him in the Prem is laughed at.

Id play as many mentally challengeds as possible in the Israel game given those mutants hatred for Israel and support for Palestine, hopefully a few bad injuries you know the kind we can make songs up about.

In terms of Scottish fullbacks, Alan Hutton was playing at a level miles above Tierney ever has in the 12 months leading up to his move, as well as being a stand out at international and champions league level.

Tierney has had a few decent Old Firms while we’ve been at our lowest ebb, and has been routinely pumped in Europe. He’s a decent player, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not a fan of playing guys out of position. Robertson is better than Tierney so should be left back but tierney is better than that diddy who was right back last night. Christ a traffic cone would have been better.

Great to see the wee hyped to feck queerhawk on his knees (not for the first time I bet) after scoring a comedy O.G last night.

Karma for being one of the chief instigators of that ridiculous Old Firm post match lap of honour. Good enough for the wee gerbil looking mentally challenged cunt.

Never got the hype over Tierney a decent Scottish premiership player that’s it. They lose a lot of goals down his side, but you never see or hear it mentioned
Wonderbhoys status is talked up by the mentally challenged mhedia at every opportunity.

Many different ways of getting pumped up and concentrating for a big event. People are all different, do things in different ways. Singing a totally awful song doesn't make you more Scottish, not singing it doesn't make you less proud to play for your country. It proves nothing at all.

Said it time and again, this boy is so overrated it is unreal.

I remember a game he played as Scotland LB, Vs Slovakia, all 3 goals came from him switching off and being out of position.

He is positionally terrible.

Most of the goals against Celtic come down his side, Hearts when they beat them 4-0 last season targeted him and 3 of the 4 goals came down his side, the hearts goal this year came down his side.

In our best two games vs them, 0-0 last season ALL of our chances came down his side, he was abysmal, same with the 2-3 game vs them, both goals coming down his side.

If he leaves Celtic he is either back at them within 18 months or at a Hibs.

The whole media furore round him is hysterical - he is a £2m defender at most.

Tavernier is a far far better full back than him.

As for Scotland, Ecks persistence with him out of position will see him hit the dole queue quicker than first thought.

Back