Ian McMillan

When I read the names of that line up ( which I was able to parrot as a wee boy - and even many tims that I knew could parrot it as well) not only does it bring a tear to my eye, but makes me feel ancient as well. What a privilege it was to have watched those guys.
Born in 1962,only remember Rangers from circa1969,but was taught that team from an early age.
WATP

When I read the names of that line up ( which I was able to parrot as a wee boy - and even many tims that I knew could parrot it as well) not only does it bring a tear to my eye, but makes me feel ancient as well. What a privilege it was to have watched those guys.
Only seen Greig,McKinnon, Baxter(2ndtime)Henderson play from that team.

Now the oldest living Ranger, one of the legendary Richie, Shearer, Caldow,Greig,McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand&Wilson.
WATP
I also grew up rhyming this team off, Unfortunately, it is a bit of a myth as according to
'Rangers, The complete record' they only started 6 games together.

the wee man had the softest of touches with a heavy ball
ask scott and henderson
but there was a bit of steel in there too
what a foil for baxter

WATP

Now the oldest living Ranger, one of the legendary Richie, Shearer, Caldow,Greig,McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand&Wilson.
WATP
Never saw him play for us. I was just a few years after him.

My dad once said he played the 1st 20 minutes against the scum without touching the ball...dummied them all over the shop...Gazza did similarly. Kept quiet for 15 - 20 then let rip....he'd suss out their weaknesses....

Baxter on the other hand trounced them from the off.

I watched them every week annd IMHO he was the brains of a very good team. A star a couple of years earlier too with Davis Patterson, Stevenson, and Scott.

Born in 1962,only remember Rangers from circa1969,but was taught that team from an early age.
WATP
Same here mate, born in 62 and 69/70 is my first memories. 73 cup final is probably the best as it was the first time I'd seen us really get one over them. I was a bit young to remember but did they greet like weans for 3 weeks after that one?

By all accounts he had as much ability as Baxter but just lacked the same charisma.

One of my late father's favourites

A Quantity Surveyor throughout his football career

Yes, he worked for a Painting company in Coatbridge then went into a partnership in Airdrie.

During that time he was managing Airdrie too.

Texaco Cup years. I saw a few of their games if Rangers weren’t playing. I even went to support them in the 1975 SC Final against the scum.

Never saw him play for us. I was just a few years after him.

My dad once said he played the 1st 20 minutes against the scum without touching the ball...dummied them all over the shop...Gazza did similarly. Kept quiet for 15 - 20 then let rip....he'd suss out their weaknesses....

Baxter on the other hand trounced them from the off.

They were terrified of Baxter.

Reactions: o7o
Yes, he worked for a Painting company in Coatbridge then went into a partnership in Airdrie.

During that time he was managing Airdrie too.

Texaco Cup years. I saw a few of their games if Rangers weren’t playing. I even went to support them in the 1975 SC Final against the scum.
As did I.

Back then I lived within walking distance of both Hamden and Ibrox, and would regularly “tap up” to Hamden to support whoever was playing against them in League or Scottish Cup finals. Over the years I have been a ninety minute supporter of the likes of St Johnstone, Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United and Airdrie.

I drew the line at Hibs, and NEVER supported them!

Now it would just be Airdrie and Dundee that would get my support, the rest can go jump into bed with their Cabal Masters!

As did I.

Back then I lived within walking distance of both Hamden and Ibrox, and would regularly “tap up” to Hamden to support whoever was playing against them in League or Scottish Cup finals. Over the years I have been a ninety minute supporter of the likes of St Johnstone, Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United and Airdrie.

I drew the line at Hibs, and NEVER supported them!

Now it would just be Airdrie and Dundee that would get my support, the rest can go jump into bed with their Cabal Masters!

Exactly Willem. Airdrie were very pro Rangers back then,As well as Ian being there was it the guy George Peat on the admin side too ?

Two players remind me of Ian. Bobby Russell and Steven Davis. Both always comfortable when receiving the ball in tight positions. Never hurried. Always in space. Never had to run very quickly because of their positional sense. Made the game look easy.

Was guest of honour at Newlandsfield late last year (his grandson Iain Russell playing for the home side), and got a good reception. My old man tells me he was an outstanding talent.

My first side remember Ian well was the making of Alex Scott and wee Wullie when he replaced Alex,when Ian received the ball both of them used to take off knowing Ian would be playing a defence splitting ball for them to run onto,simple football but was so effective.

I was speaking to Ian last week, one of times I was talking to him he said Harold Davis would win the ball and give it to him and Willie Henderson told him just put the ball ove r the full back and let me run on to it. A lovely man to speak to , still living in Airdrie and keeping well .

WATP
Yep, my old man's favourite group of Rangers players. Used to regale me with tales of that team, and also with earlier players like Woodburn, Young, Shaw, etc.

The oldest living Rangers joined our club a mere 86 years after our founding. Sometimes you forget how old our club is. It’s mad to think PSG were only formed in 1970.

Back