Ian St John dead

Caimar a tha thu an diugh, Laudrup11Cooper?

I'm not Johnny, no.

Strangely, there used to be a big Gaelic population in Greenock. My parents went to a Gaelic church (there were at least 2 that I can remember). I went to the Highlanders Academy in Greenock for school.
Please to meet you Peedzy.
If you said that garlic phrase to me, ‘face to face’, I would know how to answer you, but don’t know and never knew, how to write it!

Sounding it out in English ‘Ha ka ma.Tapa liv!!!’ (Looks more Japanese/ Korean)

Grew up with two loving parents both from the Outer Hebrides (BB) but tragically never made the effort to learn the language.

My second cousin Johnny can do both.I think!
As could my old teacher from Clydebank for some reason?

Hope you are ‘aye ready’ to paint part of Greenock red, white, and blue!

Please to meet you Peedzy.
If you said that garlic phrase to me, ‘face to face’, I would know how to answer you, but don’t know and never knew, how to write it!

Sounding it out in English ‘Ha ka ma.Tapa liv!!!’ (Looks more Japanese/ Korean)

Grew up with two loving parents both from the Outer Hebrides (BB) but tragically never made the effort to learn the language.

My second cousin Johnny can do both.I think!
As could my old teacher from Clydebank for some reason?

Hope you are ‘aye ready’ to paint part of Greenock red, white, and blue!
You've nailed it, and I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, compared to Johnny.

I can do the basic small talk, but beyond some pre-rehearsed phrases and stock answers I'm gubbed if someone really starts talking to me.

Greenock has seen a reduction in staunchness since I was a boy, we seem to be getting over-run with them in the last 20 years or so. We'll be celebrating all right, don't worry!

He's dead. He was 82 and had a successful, fulfilling life and by all accounts he was a good human being. But now he's dead. "Passed away" is one of those horrible, cloying euphemisms that's crept into the language because people appear to be frightened of confronting the one thing that comes to us all.

I realise I'm swimming against the tide of public opinion here :)
Fair enough mate. If ‘passed away’ is cloying, how about ‘has died’?

One of football's good guys.

Probably unlucky in a way.

He was a top class centre forward at a time in Britian when we probably had the best two strikers ever in Jimmy Greaves and Denis Law.

In a way he had a voodoo sign over Rangers circa 59/60 when we couldn't buy a win over Motherwell. That probably extended to the SC in March 1961.

One of football's good guys.

Probably unlucky in a way.

He was a top class centre forward at a time in Britian when we probably had the best two strikers ever in Jimmy Greaves and Denis Law.

In a way he had a voodoo sign over Rangers circa 59/60 when we couldn't buy a win over Motherwell. That probably extended to the SC in March 1961.
Unlike the two mentioned Gub, do you think that the Saint had the temperament to have made it in Serie A?

Unlike the two mentioned Gub, do you think that the Saint had the temperament to have made it in Serie A?
I think if he was disciplined enough as a player for Bill Shankly, then probably.

But I get the impression he was possibly less flamboyant and more down to earth as a person, than the other two.

But what do I know?

Oh to hell with Liverpool and Celtic to,
Throw them all in the Mersey,
And we'll fight, fight, fight with all our might,
For the boys in the royal blue jerseys.
The line is ‘Liverpool and Rangers’ not Celtc.

RIP Ian.

I think if he was disciplined enough as a player for Bill Shankly, then probably.

But I get the impression he was possibly less flamboyant and more down to earth as a person, than the other two.

But what do I know?
Fair enough mate.

I thought that I’d ask someone who had seen all three play. It amazes me that players as outstanding as Law and Greaves couldn’t adapt to Italy. I haven’t asked my old man about that directly, but he did say that St John was a top class player and that his life as a fan had been enriched by watching Ian play.

Back