Ian St John dead

Sad news.
My condolonces to his family and friends.
Saint and Greavsie was a great show.
Before my time, but was apparently a top striker in his day, at a time when Scotland produced so much top quality talent.
Back when Souness was our manager he would be at our games as a live co-commentator, and I'm pretty sure he was wearing a Rangers tartan hat and scarf one week.
Ian St John was honouray president of the Liverpool No 1 Rangers Supporters Club for a period, late 1980s, early 1990s, he was given the scarf by some of the lads of the club.
A great player who had a great partnership with Roger Hunt in the 1960s. May He Rest in Peace

RIP Ian St John. Saint and Greavsie were a great pairing for a football show. They brought a fair amount of comedy and fun to a Saturday lunch time football show. I fear Greavsie will not be too far behind him.

One of the remarks from the show that sticks out for me was they showed highlights of Rangers 3 V 3 Aberdeen, 1987, Skol League Cup Final, which we won on pens. Younger fans take note, if you lived out side of Scotland back then you had no chance of watching a Scottish game live on.TV.

Ian St John was praising the exciting Scottish final and Greavsie said that the final should have went out live on national tv and that they were stuck with some boring, drawn English match on that Sunday.

Last edited:
I am really sorry to hear that news. My first memories of him go back to his playing days at Motherwell where he was a legend among their supporters. He then went to Liverpool and was adored by their fans as well. One of my brothers moved to Merseyside many years ago and the house that he lives in was once owned by Ian St John back in his Liverpool days.

What a shame...Saint and Greavsie was a must in times gone by...That is very sad.

Saw a photo of Jimmy Greaves with Harry Kane recently and cant believe how ill Jimmy looks...All the heroes from times passed disappearing.

Sad, another well known passed. Too young to remember him playing but a great personality on the TV unlike what we get dished up today. A good double act and one football show I actually enjoyed.

RIP Ian St John. Saint and Greavsie were a great pairing for a football show. They brought a fair amount of comedy and fun to the a Saturday Lunch time Football Show. I fear Greavsie will not be too far behind him.

One of the remarks from the show that sticks out for me was they showed highlights of Rangers
3 V 3 Aberdeen, 1987, Skol League Cup Final, which we won on pens. Younger fans take note if you lived out side of Scotland back then you had no chance of watching a Scottish game live.

Ian St John was praising the exciting Scottish game and Greavsie said that the final should have went out live on national tv and that they were stuck with some boring, drawn English match.
You used to get regular Scottish coverage on the show from memory. Sure it was on there Jim Leishman gained fame from his awful poetry before they knocked us out the cup.

Before my time as a player, but watched him often enough. Him and Jimmy Greaves had a great chemistry; they became a sort of double act, and it worked well.

His birth name was John but like a lot of guys called John in the old days, they got called Ian.

Wonderful broadcaster, too young to remember him playing but was a staple diet of the 80s to play for my boys club team and go home and watch Saints and Greavsie.
John St.John?

BBC Scotland could take note and watch a few episodes of Saint & Greavsie to see how simple it is to make a successful football programme.

All that is needed is 2 guys with a genuine love for football, a sense of humour, no bias and no pre-set agendas.

Attributes that no-one involved with Sportscene, outside of Neil McCann, has.

The Saint. Top man.

‘You can see the Rangers on itv’ with an accompanying big grin. 80s and early 90s.

Rangers related Saint and Greavsie

Its strange as I always loved Saint and Greavsie growing up but one of memories of Ian St John was him screaming with joy when Willie Falconer scored the 3rd goal for the sheep in the 88 Skol cup final as he was co-commentating for STV that day.

I attended an industry event through work once where he was the after dinner speaker
He came across as a perfectly genuine man & he was hilarious -
He held the large audience of pissed up geezers - let out for the day - in the palm of his hand - hung on his every word -

RIP Ian
All thoughts with family & close friends

Very sad news. An excellent player, pundit and, by all accounts, a very decent bloke.

Sleep tight.

Sorry to hear this. He seems to have been a very good player and was a likeable TV performer.

I recall S&G fondly, loved the TV show and the board game! A lost era of fun and actual insight from pundits rather than attention seeking nonsense.

He was a fine player and seemed like a really nice guy as well. I think he filmed his Soccer School TV special at the High School in Glasgow just near where I used to live.

What a shame indeed.

RIP Saint ..... oh for the days when football shows were about the game and not this fake 'minority representation' while treading on egg shells making sure that no one was offended

R.I.P. to Ian and condolonces to all his family and friends.

"It's a funny old game, Saint!"

Sad news, my old man used to play football in the same team as him before he signed for Motherwell.

Used to love S & G / World of Sport back in the 80s

Always remember Greavsie calling Gaza Bsmber and Fashanu falling off a brick wall.

Never seen him play but the Saint and Greavsie show was must see, always came across really well, rest easy Saint.

Great player, he was a big part of Shankly’s Liverpool, then he was natural on tv, him and Greaves were like two guys having a blether about football in the pub.

RIP Saint.

Sad to hear.
my saturday morning as a kid.
Up at about 7 am, watch cartoons have breakfast- then off to play football with BB or other team.
Home , lunch with dad watching saint and greavsie then hot foot it to get supporters bus for Rangers game.
great days

Very sad news. Sleep easy Ian.

It seems like there isn't a day goes past at the moment without news of another famous sports person dying.

Like many others i’ll always have fond memories as a lad of watching Saint and Greavsie over lunch on a Saturday before heading to the match with my old man. I occasionally check out the old Saint and Greavsie episodes on Youtube for a bit of nostalgia.

Loved how they covered all levels of football from England, Scotland, Europe and internationals., long before the days of Sky Sports and the internet.

Its strange as I always loved Saint and Greavsie growing up but one of memories of Ian St John was him screaming with joy when Willie Falconer scored the 3rd goal for the sheep in the 88 Skol cup final as he was co-commentating for STV that day.
I know I heard that screech as well and immediately thought it could only be St.John cheering therefore had to be a tim.
Since then, I’ve read plenty claiming the opposite.
I guess it was somebody else doing the screeching.

So sad to hear. He was possibly one of the original "reds" as the team he was in started the Liverpool revolution under Shankly.
Rest in peace Ian.

Sad news,
I used to go to his summer soccer camps in Edinburgh in the late 80s/early 90’s and he was great with us.

He went to school with my mum which has just made me realise what age my mum really is.Always remember when he was manager at Motherwell he let his nephew sit in the dugout with him when they played Celtic.It backfired as his nephew was impressed by the dark side and ended up following them.
He was the year above us at school and suffered accordingly for his choice.

Him and Greavsie were the epitome of two fans talking football,and no shows since then with their forced “banter” have had the same appeal.

Latest posts

Back