Rangers History Ian St John. The Scourge of Rangers 1959-61

They played fast open football and they had the stamina to go with it a great team at the time
Amazing that you seem to have been around in those days, and I've always wondered why Bobby Ancell is a name that rarely gets a mention, but by all accounts that was a superb Motherwell team he put together, that played a a very modern and exciting brand of football back in the day.
8 of his players got capped for Scotland, which is quite incredible.
Even at Dundee, he took them to a League Cup Final, and to the Semi Final of the Fairs Cup, where they were eliminated 2-1 on aggregate to Leeds Utd (who had knocked us out in the previous round).
Interestingly enough, our own George McLean, who we binned the previous season was top scorer for Dundee that 1967-68 season with 35 Goals,

Amazing that you seem to have been around in those days, and I've always wondered why Bobby Ancell is a name that rarely gets a mention, but by all accounts that was a superb Motherwell team he put together, that played a a very modern and exciting brand of football back in the day.
8 of his players got capped for Scotland, which is quite incredible.
Even at Dundee, he took them to a League Cup Final, and to the Semi Final of the Fairs Cup, where they were eliminated 2-1 on aggregate to Leeds Utd (who had knocked us out in the previous round).
Interestingly enough, our own George McLean, who we binned the previous season was top scorer for Dundee that 1967-68 season with 35 Goals,
Think it shows how good we were, in those days. Even Dundee were a cracking team.
60 - 65 imo, best gers team in my life.

My first Wembley in 1965. St John scored the goal to give us a 2 - 2 draw.
Great centre.
His last appearance for Scotland.
Apparently St John made some derogatory remarks about the tactics Scotland had employed on the day, and he was never selected again.

And Maxie Murray
A very under appreciated Rangers Player who's goal scoring record was phenomenal.

Scot Symon signed him from Queens Park in May 1955.
He managed only 13 appearances in his first season, with a return of 9 goals.
He established himself the following season 56-57, scoring a very impressive 29 goals in 30 League games.
He also scored Rangers first goal in the European Cup. (36 goals in 42 games was his season's total).
He managed 35 goals in 46 outings in 57-58.
The 58-59 campaign saw him score 24 goals in 31 appearances, as he collected his second Championship medal in three years.
Despite his phenomenal goalscoring exploits (104 in 132 games at that point), Murray was still the fans favourite boo boy.

Max Murray's three year splurge of 98 goals in 126 games (56-59) is still a better ratio of goals to games in any three year period, apart from Jim Forrest's staggering 133 in 134 games (63-66).
Even Ally McCoist's best three year period (85-88), which saw him score 112 goals, took 151 games, to achieve.

Murray's overall record (of players who have scored over 100 Goals in a Rangers jersey),
is second to only Jim Forrest, in the Goals to Games ratio, in the last seventy odd years since the end of WWII.

Back