Ibrox 2022 Project

Cafe/bar type of thing sounds great on match days - packed to the rafters on possibly 25-30 days a year, with Cups, Europe & friendlies. But the other 330-odd days where it takes buttons would likely mean running at a significant loss.

Far more cost effective to rent out a segment of large fan-zone area that Edmiston House sits on to various mobile caterers, vendors and bar operators. Eg 30 vendors renting a pitch at £2,000 each x 30 match days = £1.8 million gross income for the Club, with no real outlay.

Don’t reckon there would be a shortage of food & beverage vendors willing to pay for a pitch that gives them access to a potential 50,000 wallets/purses every home game

Yes, a 'Food Village' type of thing sounds good.

So can anyone shed some light on the Memorial Garden project? It all seems to have gone quiet which is a concern.

Insider info:

30w5t12.jpg

Not as simple as that unfortunately. Doesn't it have a fair bit of Asbestos in it?

Though I could definitely see the argument for leveling it, there's still some value to be had by renovating it IMO. Let's turn it into something that's going to make us an income.
Asbestos strip starts next week. Feasibility studies into refurb and new build options are underway.

Not as simple as that unfortunately. Doesn't it have a fair bit of Asbestos in it?

Though I could definitely see the argument for leveling it, there's still some value to be had by renovating it IMO. Let's turn it into something that's going to make us an income.

Posted many times the 'Charlie Green plan' museum café bar and proper super store was and is what's needed with the ticket centre going into Ashleys current 'Mega Store'. Appreciate Green spoke with no intention of delivering but what he said at the time is exactly what needs to happen.

Cafe/bar type of thing sounds great on match days - packed to the rafters on possibly 25-30 days a year, with Cups, Europe & friendlies. But the other 330-odd days where it takes buttons would likely mean running at a significant loss.

Far more cost effective to rent out a segment of large fan-zone area that Edmiston House sits on to various mobile caterers, vendors and bar operators. Eg 30 vendors renting a pitch at £2,000 each x 30 match days = £1.8 million gross income for the Club, with no real outlay.

Don’t reckon there would be a shortage of food & beverage vendors willing to pay for a pitch that gives them access to a potential 50,000 wallets/purses every home game
There is no chance you would get £2000 a game for a snack Bar, You don't get a potential 50000 customers. you get 50000 customers between 30 outlets, minus Hospitality etc.

Last edited:
I must say I don’t agree with the hotel comments

The old swallow is a stones throw away and some of the new grounds around Europe now are built in the middle of nowhere outside the city

(Or nearly outside Europe if you count last seasons Europa league farce)

Posted many times the 'Charlie Green plan' museum café bar and proper super store was and is what's needed with the ticket centre going into Ashleys current 'Mega Store'. Appreciate Green spoke with no intention of delivering but what he said at the time is exactly what needs to happen.
He actually approached us about having a 'bar ' in The Edmiston

Possibly if you make it more of a bar/restaurant similar to a hard rock cafe with memorabilia on the walls and on display.

That's been my suggestion for years.

People would go to a place like that on non match days too. After all "its only ten minutes from town on the subway"

That's been my suggestion for years.

People would go to a place like that on non match days too. After all "its only ten minutes from town on the subway"
we dont seem able to sustain a bona fide rangers bar in our city centre so i would worry that anything over at Ibrox wouldnt be as busy as it would require (outwith match times) to really make it worthwhile,people i feel just would not go out of their way to travel to Ibrox just for a cafe bar /restaurant ,

Reactions: 413
I have a meeting with the Quantity Surveyor on the edminston house project on wed morning. I'll try do some digging. In guessing hes been appointed as their pqs or commercial manager considering he has a consultancy and doesnt work with contractors.

So I’ve been reading a lot about the 2022 project which is a series of major developments to Ibrox for the clubs 150th Anniversary in 2022. Obviously we’ve seen new glass sides to the stands, new dugouts, track and hybrid pitch plus the inside of the main stand being refurbished. Does anybody know what the further developments we could be seeing in the next few season are? I saw that we want to do something with Edminston house but no idea what.
Saw the first word of the post and assumed that you are either a Californian MILF or an 8 year old girl. Didnt read anything after 'So'.

we dont seem able to sustain a bona fide rangers bar in our city centre so i would worry that anything over at Ibrox wouldnt be as busy as it would require (outwith match times) to really make it worthwhile,people i feel just would not go out of their way to travel to Ibrox just for a cafe bar /restaurant ,
I think if Rangers had Champions League money and could afford a Pub / Restaurant ( Bought outright )with the Rangers Memorabilia in the town.
They might have a chance but I still don't think our fans would support it and I doubt their would be enough money in it for Rangers. ( maybe they could let Elite sell jersey's etc in it )

I have a meeting with the Quantity Surveyor on the edminston house project on wed morning. I'll try do some digging. In guessing hes been appointed as their pqs or commercial manager considering he has a consultancy and doesnt work with contractors.
Maybe we should just let Rangers announce these things when the time is right, like knowing what your Christmas present is before you open it.

Maybe we should just let Rangers announce these things when the time is right, like knowing what your Christmas present is before you open it.

If people dont want to know fair enough, I do and plenty of others will. Scroll past it if I post something mate. He probably won't tell me anything

Folk don’t use argyle house which is fantastic so I have my doubts
I actually have no doubts that it wouldn't get the support it needed unless it was done to the very highest standards and even then.
Maybe all the Rangers fans that drink in the town might use it, maybe not.

If he does he should be sacked

Yeah in hindsight I wouldn't actually post anything on here cause I've already said who it would be telling me. Never have been the sharpest. I think You're being a bit precious, the plans will be posted on the gcc building standards planning portal, which is public to everyone.

Yeah in hindsight I wouldn't actually post anything on here cause I've already said who it would be telling me. Never have been the sharpest. I think You're being a bit precious, the plans will be posted on the gcc building standards planning portal, which is public to everyone.
I know but I would hope Rangers do a press conference the day before and the fans have the feel good factor

Loads of people go to pubs on prw on the weekend a rangers cafe bar would attract the biggest footfall if done right.

There have been great ideas for this for a long time now from supporters groups and individual supporters; largely around museum and fanzine type facilities.

We’ve lacked leadership interested in it and suitable means of investment previously... and I fear that there are more pressing demands for spending.

The idea of a museum & cafe/restaurant next to the stadium that can be open on non-matchdays seems a completely sensible option though.

There have been great ideas for this for a long time now from supporters groups and individual supporters; largely around museum and fanzine type facilities.

We’ve lacked leadership interested in it and suitable means of investment previously... and I fear that there are more pressing demands for spending.

The idea of a museum & cafe/restaurant next to the stadium that can be open on non-matchdays seems a completely sensible option though.

I think its be different if it was official.

Our fanbase has a real hankering for club stuff over anything. They're drawn to it.

Folk don’t use argyle house which is fantastic so I have my doubts

I think it's almost treated / seen as too formal. I know it's not having been in it plenty but it's more a special occasion thing. The club don't promote it enough either.

A pub / diner is different. You're more likely to take a swing into that like you would F&Bs at The Quay with the kids than Argyll House.

We should starting harassing Uefa to give us a European final in 2022 to coincide.
It would have to be the Europa League final as the stadium isn't big enough for a Champions League final.
Then you have to look at how many TV camera placements we have and how many journalists with a table in front of them that we can accommodate.
Outside the stadium you need a huge area for television crews which do not impact on the supporters when they enter and exit the stadium.
The airport must be able to handle an extra 80 charter flights that day as well.
There is also the amount of 5 star hotel rooms in the city to take into account.

It would have to be the Europa League final as the stadium isn't big enough for a Champions League final.
Then you have to look at how many TV camera placements we have and how many journalists with a table in front of them that we can accommodate.
Outside the stadium you need a huge area for television crews which do not impact on the supporters when they enter and exit the stadium.
The airport must be able to handle an extra 80 charter flights that day as well.
There is also the amount of 5 star hotel rooms in the city to take into account.

They used hampden not so long ago so the city is clearly up to spec - not sure what this hotel rule is. Where is the nearest digs to Hampden?

Back