Ibrox Architect Archibald Leitch

Pretty sad end for a man who gave us such a wonderful iconic stadium facade that can’t be beaten anywhere in the world.Didn’t know it was inferior timbers that caused the first collapse.I knew of the collapse but was unaware it was negligence.

I always find it funny when he’s described as a “boyhood” Rangers fan as he was born in 1865. It just seems so strange and alien to me from a modern perspective that a young boy would go and see a club like Rangers that had just been newly-formed at the time, with no idea of what would become of them in the next 140 years.

There is a fantastic book called Engineering Archie, that I managed to get a copy of a few years ago. The man was instrumental in the start up of football. He has over 40 clubs on his resumé.

Basically the first man to build stadiums for the masses.
Sadly, out of print now. Second hand on Amazon for £50 plus.

I can't believe this comment from someone who claims to have Inglis's book:
"I remember reading all about Leitch stands in your wonderful guide to football grounds, Simon. How many are still standing today? I can only think of Everton."

Also, and it's indicative, the Obsessed make their depressingly inevitable appearance on the twitter thread.

Last edited:
The architect of our wonderful Ibrox facade.

Perhaps a little sad that his legacy is/was given very little column inches or recognition at the time, and his grave is unremarkable/tired.

His work didn’t stop at Ibrox, he also created stands at Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Fulham and many more.

He also designed the old main stand at Tynecastle.

There is a fantastic book called Engineering Archie, that I managed to get a copy of a few years ago. The man was instrumental in the start up of football. He has over 40 clubs on his resumé.

Us that book available to sill buy mate

Have a copy of 'Engineering Archie', a very interesting read.
There is a wonderful photograph in the book of a game at Ibrox and it seems to be taken from the bottom of the Main Stand at the Copland Road end and it spans across the punters.

I think the snap is entitled; 'Archie's People.'

The book mentioned is excellent, not read it for many years.
Very sad than some of his designs were allowed to be demolished.

The Main Stand at Ibrox is magnificent and I hope it’s here a hundred years from now. The job of adding the extra tier was very sympathetically done.

I think apart from his masterpiece, our own main stand, possibly the only other one still remaining in Scotland is Dundee main stand.

Also, and it's indicative, the Obsessed make their depressingly inevitable appearance on the twitter thread.
The brass neck these cretins have thinking they have moral high ground.
Probably ignorant to the fact Leitch built their main stand.

There’s a nice section at Old Trafford dedicated to him. Noticed it when I did the tour.

Maybe we can do the same in our new museum. I would imagine there will be a section dedicated to the building of our stadium and where we played over the years.

Makes me think, they really have to consult the support before deciding what goes in there. We have so much amazing history.

Maybe we can do the same in our new museum. I would imagine there will be a section dedicated to the building of our stadium and where we played over the years.

Makes me think, they really have to consult the support before deciding what goes in there. We have so much amazing history.
We have Ibrox historians along with books that detail great fan moments like the stories people had for Manchester and that. I would love a section dedicated to the aftermath of the ECWC. Would be nice to tell our fans a piece of history they might not know whilst winding up Catalonia CSC

I think apart from his masterpiece, our own main stand, possibly the only other one still remaining in Scotland is Dundee main stand.

In a previous thread on here it was mentioned that the main stand at parkhead was a Leitch design and is still there albeit covered up by modern brickwork - if I recall it isn’t very aesthetically pleasing and bears no comparison to the magnificent main stand At Ibrox.

The architect of our wonderful Ibrox facade.

Perhaps a little sad that his legacy is/was given very little column inches or recognition at the time, and his grave is unremarkable/tired.

His work didn’t stop at Ibrox, he also created stands at Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Fulham and many more.

Maybe the guys that do the Rangers graves could set something up?

There’s a nice section at Old Trafford dedicated to him. Noticed it when I did the tour.

Saw similar when I did the tour of Anfield (Liverpool).

The guy doing the tour was actually surprised when I answered the question re Mr Leitch's picture straight away :D

Was he not involved in the The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities as well :)
It has cited as an inspiration for him and when you compare the photos, there does appear to be a remarkable similarity. I have a photo of it, will try and find it.

In a previous thread on here it was mentioned that the main stand at parkhead was a Leitch design and is still there albeit covered up by modern brickwork - if I recall it isn’t very aesthetically pleasing and bears no comparison to the magnificent main stand At Ibrox.
I’m not sure that true about scum as I’m positive they rebuilt that full stand in early 70s. The current terrible entrance I’m sure was added to the rebuilt one which was equally dreadful.

I have to disagree about consulting the support.

Was he not involved in the The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities as well :)

Been discussed in here before. Given the Cairo museum was built by an Italian company in 1901 and designed by a Frenchman it's more likely Leitch took inspiration from the earlier building.

Rather than modern box with wooden beams on the facade I would like to see a nod to Leitch in the design of the new museum etc.

I bought the book Engineering Archie a few years ago along with another excellent book about Ibrox called Temple of Dreams around the same time.
Both books as far as I know are out of print but both are well worth a read if they can be picked up at a reasonable price.

It has cited as an inspiration for him and when you compare the photos, there does appear to be a remarkable similarity. I have a photo of it, will try and find it.
Was a wee bit tongue in cheek mate, I visited the Cairo museum about 20 year ago and had a proper wtf moment the first time I eyeballed (had no idea what it lookedike then)it wondering what the connection was, Its also a fantastic place to visit.

I bought the book Engineering Archie a few years ago along with another excellent book about Ibrox called Temple of Dreams around the same time.
Both books as far as I know are out of print but both are well worth a read if they can be picked up at a reasonable price.
As others have said it appears that Engineering Archie is currently over £60. However Temple of Dreams is more reasonably priced at £12.99 for the paperback and £7.19 for the kindle version.

There is a panel in the English football museum in Manchester about Archibald Leitch. Was there not too long ago with my boy. And of all the stands they could have chosen for the picture on the panel it was ours!

Always meant to pick up a copy of “Engineering Archie”, I could kick myself now it's out of print.

Did anyone go see the Archibald Leitch exhibition that was at the house for an art lover last year?

Superb read, hard to get hold of now too

Back