Ibrox Atmosphere

From looking at the thoughts of the away fans on Thursday as well as comments from older Rangers fans in different circles, it appears they believe the atmosphere at Ibrox has gotten considerably worse in recent years, do we think that really is the case and if so, how is this remedied.

Its awful now and has been for years. Safe standing in a huge section such as the Govan Front combined with rover tickets for that area is the best solution though I doubt the club would even consider it. Much easier to just leave things as they are.

Always see excuses rolled out but I watch motd and no ones leaving the ground early in anywhere near the numbers you see at Ibrox, it's just became a habit and a bad one at that.

Leeds were in trouble, but they got an equaliser in injury time and their was hardly an empty seat to be found, with their fans pushing them on to get a goal. Crystal palace always have a great atmosphere and this from a support that knows they have no chance of even challenging for the title.

As others have said, we talk about a few games, but they're few and far between.

The problem is that it won't happen with new words. We had some morons near us in the club deck giving it ftp and the Vatican when follow follow was being sung. Fortunately it wasn't many but it won't go away.
It's got nothing to do with that. This problem has been at Ibrox for years long before our society became offended by everything and anything.

Atmosphere has been flat all season I've been to selhurst Park and Elland Road and their atmosphere is day and night compared to Ibrox we need to expand Ibrox to let other generations in as the support is stagnating I don't care if people don't like the truth for many. Middle aged supporters it like a chore to them and they can't wait to leave as seen by the actions of the subway loyal never seen the same amount of people leave early at any other football club.

I started going to Ibrox in the late 60's. Most of the guys I went with back then wouldnt thank you for a ticket now because the atmosphere is so shit. Its got nothing to do with age. Its all about attitude and many of you younger ones dont do enough to make things better.

Always see excuses rolled out but I watch motd and no ones leaving the ground early in anywhere near the numbers you see at Ibrox, it's just became a habit and a bad one at that.

Leeds were in trouble, but they got an equaliser in injury time and their was hardly an empty seat to be found, with their fans pushing them on to get a goal. Crystal palace always have a great atmosphere and this from a support that knows they have no chance of even challenging for the title.

As others have said, we talk about a few games, but they're few and far between.

I think the crap atmosphere doesnt help. You get a better sing song in the Louden.

It’s very difficult to generate atmosphere when we are playing in a shocking league full of thugs the standard of Scottish football is hardly arse off seat style

Of course no one wants to make the league more competitive by sharing the income more evenly. The current set up might suit our millionaire players but it hardly makes for exciting games.

If we buy Nisbet and Souter that aint going to help Hibs and Hearts challenge.

It’s very difficult to generate atmosphere when we are playing in a shocking league full of thugs the standard of Scottish football is hardly arse off seat style
The atmospheres been equally as bad in Europe when we’re playing against quality players

Whats the excuse for those games?

Of course no one wants to make the league more competitive by sharing the income more evenly. The current set up might suit our millionaire players but it hardly makes for exciting games.

If we buy Nisbet and Souter that aint going to help Hibs and Hearts challenge.
The simple fact is and people can make excuses all they want, but the atmosphere at Ibrox is dreadful and has been for a long time.

It seems like a chore for some. Doesn't matter wether we're 6 up or in a tight game, the exodus from Ibrox is ridiculous, well apart from when we're beating celtic.

I've been to Stamford bridge a few times and this never happens. I would hardly call getting out of West London easy for beating traffic.

The problem is that it won't happen with new words. We had some morons near us in the club deck giving it ftp and the Vatican when follow follow was being sung. Fortunately it wasn't many but it won't go away.
What you heard with FTP and the Vatican is going away but it will be a long gradual process. Some people are less informed of the potential harm it does our club, or are just stuck in their habits of doing what they always did.

Agree it's a difficult problem with the Billy Boys.

First steps would be to get confirmation from the relevant authorities on what an acceptable version of the words would be. Those words could then be shown on the screens, or Rangers produce a booklet with acceptable wording to the most used songs. There would no doubt be some that would still use the old words but these people should then be singled out and punished. It comes down to whether a song should be proscribed because a small percentage of supporters sing the wrong words. I don't agree with that principle and believe only those that do wrong should be punished. As long as it has been made clear to everyone by messages on the screens and by a leaflet on the seat, emails, etc.... then there can be no excuse of not knowing what the appropriate words are.

The European and Scottish football authorities must understand that there will be individual law breakers within a huge support but they need to make a judgement on whether the majority of the support are singing the proscribed words. If the new song lyrics are communicated effectively then I would be surprised if even 5% of the support sang the wrong words.

The UB’s should be given the central point in either BF or CF. They have been absolutely brilliant these last 10 years or so and it would create an even better atmosphere.

However, since the lad Ross gave up it’s been noticeably different. Like others have said tonight, the song choice on Thursday was poor.

Constantly BMG and the references to uvf etc, it doesn’t do us any favours, we moan about them singing about the ira, and let’s forget about whataboutery here, but we have add ons about the uvf and uda, surely hypocrisy from us when we complain about them? (They are all proscribed terrorist groups whether we like it or not).

I just wish we could concentrate on all of our great songs and leave the political shite to that lot.

We know who we are and what our journey has been like. We will never go away no matter what Scottish football and all the charlatans and poisonous bastards try. They will never kill us or get rid of us despite their best attempts.
I'm genuinely struggling to think of songs with add ons to the UVF and the UDA, I sit in BF2 and I'm taking my brains trying to think what songs they are

I'm increasingly aware that the 'full choir' is sadly missing now.
I think there are many reasons for this. Some of our traditional song are now no go areas due to the scrutiny placed on us now by outside 'observers'. Sadly we don't do much to help that.
The first choruses on Thursday, were the likes of BMG. There's no way I'm singing that. I'm not a loyal Ulsterman for a start. I've never fought the IRA.

Perhaps, if we could rekindle Rangers songs, and we have plenty, more people would join in. When did you last here 'Wolverhampton Town' at Ibrox?
The club should reclaim song like the BB, a rousing anthem, with lyrics more in tune with the originals than those hyjacked by the FTP brigade. Put acceptable lyrics on the big screens and reclaim a tune that gets all Rangers supporters joining in. FFS, leave Bobby Sands to the smellies (they deserve one another).

I duly await the condemnation which will now come my way.
Exactly this. Reclaim the BB! If the club said "sing these lyrics" then we could have our anthem back. Been saying this since it was banned.

1-Scottish football is piss poor and uncompetitive with two teams dominating . In 131 seasons , the league has been won by the old firm 106 times.Playing teams 5,6 and 7 times a season , it’s boring as hell.

2-Rangers point blank refuse to implement safe standing and a proper matchday DJ to build any kind of atmosphere at games. We are stuck somewhere around 1987 in terms of matchday experience.

3-Fans and players alike are suffering a hangover from last season. Regardless of what anyone says I’m convinced of it, the drive and excitement and importance of last season has left us and it shows.

4- The club point blank to define any kind of Rangers culture, don’t encourage fan groups or promote positivity about what being a Rangers fan is. We are left high snd dry from incessant attacks in the media , with zero backing from the club or club1872. Its left to a podcast like Heart&Hand to foster any kind of kinship and togetherness among our support. That’s a scandalous state of affairs for such a big club.

5- Fans feel fleeced and ripped off this season , £129 for a three match package in let’s be honest a humdrum Europa league group which doesn’t fire the imagination.

6- Covid. People are generally just getting used to “ normality” , feeing their way back into things, it’s still a strange world now , people are showing up but leaving it to the Union bears to do any singing , yes about 1000 boys if we are lucky from 50,000. This isn’t just at Rangers but football in general. When the Union bears choose the wrong song like BMG which kills any atmosphere and depresses the players and just persist with it regardless, the night Peter’s out. In 6 decades watching Rangers I’ve never heard a sadder more moribund dirge than BMG and it needs a discussion and this seasons other ever present “ we are coming down the road” tartan army esque and energy sapping song.

7- Phones. We are in a society now where concert goers , football fans, golf fans, society , live on a six inch device never out their hands , like mindless automatons. I’ve been at family gatherings recently some people hadn’t been in the same room as each other in years and after a quick hello the whole room was sitting staring at their phone. I literally sat and started whistling Dixie looking around me , nobody noticed. Younger generation don’t want to interact with real life they want filtered fake life on their phones with strange men sprinkling salt on their lives.

The above aren’t excuses just observations and some reasoning behind why our old stadium isn’t as electric as it can be or once was. When the 3 stands were first rebuilt some 40 years ago some of you reading this will remember crowds as low as 13,000 , perhaps 25,000 against the likes of hibs and aberdeen. A half full Ibrox was noisier than a full Ibrox now but that’s just the way football has gone.

It’s not specific to Rangers but it’s doesn’t help when we fans are treated like customers fleeced for every Penny and made to feel like the club don’t give a shit about atmosphere by laying on the worst DJ , build up and fan interaction you could possibly imagine. The Union bears aren’t perfect as I mentioned the likes of BMG has to go, but by god imagine the stadium without them ?

Last edited:
Funny how it only seems to be on Follow Follow you hear this. MOST other people praise the atmosphere. Getting so sick of the amounts of miserable bastards on here. Maybe it's just you and the company you keep who sound 'flat' and 'horrific'.

People moan about European teams and their constant repetitive chants but lets be honest we have too many words in too many songs. I know that seems weird to say but people end up singing out of time with others and it just turns to a rabble then fades out so many times, whether this is due to drink, not knowing all the words or people just not wanting to sing is dependent on each person i suppose.

Of course there is other factors such as moving UB to a more central area, expanding their numbers and size or even another group on opposite side of stadium.

Again we can mock and talk down about certain teams chants but if they're simple, easy to remember and dont contain certain words or events/ groups people dont want to sing about it then more will join in including more kids.

I know i'll probably take flak for this as we have a lot of people who are traditionalists but im not saying dont sing songs or our current songs, we just need more chants and similar sounds to the European ultras in my opinion.

That's a song about the real UVF though which isn't a problem, that's more down to folks taste. It never seems to be a problem at away games when the full stand belts it out

Just remembered about 3 cheers for the red white and blue as well
That actually infuriates me when people sing UVF instead of RAF

Even worse when it’s armed forces day and you’ve got RAF personnel being paraded and there’s folk who think we’re at a UVF rally in the 90s

1-Scottish football is piss poor and uncompetitive with two teams dominating . In 131 seasons , the league has been won by the old firm 106 times.Playing teams 5,6 and 7 times a season , it’s boring as hell.

2-Rangers point blank refuse to implement safe standing and a proper matchday DJ to build any kind of atmosphere at games. We are stuck somewhere around 1987 in terms of matchday experience.

3-Fans and players alike are suffering a hangover from last season. Regardless of what anyone says I’m convinced of it, the drive and excitement and importance of last season has left us and it shows.

4- The club point blank to define any kind of Rangers culture, don’t encourage fan groups or promote positivity about what being a Rangers fan is. We are left high snd dry from incessant attacks in the media , with zero backing from the club or club1872. Its left to a podcast like Heart&Hand to foster any kind of kinship and togetherness among our support. That’s a scandalous state of affairs for such a big club.

5- Fans feel fleeced and ripped off this season , £129 for a three match package in let’s be honest a humdrum Europa league group which doesn’t fire the imagination.

6- Covid. People are generally just getting used to “ normality” , feeing their way back into things, it’s still a strange world now , people are showing up but leaving it to the Union bears to do any singing , yes about 1000 boys if we are lucky from 50,000. This isn’t just at Rangers but football in general. When the Union bears choose the wrong song like BMG which kills any atmosphere and depresses the players and just persist with it regardless, the night Peter’s out. In 6 decades watching Rangers I’ve never heard a sadder more moribund dirge than BMG and it needs a discussion and this seasons other ever present “ we are coming down the road” tartan army esque and energy sapping song.

7- Phones. We are in a society now where concert goers , football fans, golf fans, society , live on a six inch device never out their hands , like mindless automatons. I’ve been at family gatherings recently some people hadn’t been in the same room as each other in years and after a quick hello the whole room was sitting staring at their phone. I literally sat and started whistling Dixie looking around me , nobody noticed. Younger generation don’t want to interact with real life they want filtered fake life on their phones with strange men sprinkling salt on their lives.

The above aren’t excuses just observations and some reasoning behind why our old stadium isn’t as electric as it can be or once was. When the 3 stands were first rebuilt some 40 years ago some of you reading this will remember crowds as low as 13,000 , perhaps 25,000 against the likes of hibs and aberdeen. A half full Ibrox was noisier than a full Ibrox now but that’s just the way football has gone.

It’s not specific to Rangers but it’s doesn’t help when we fans are treated like customers fleeced for every Penny and made to feel like the club don’t give a shit about atmosphere by laying on the worst DJ , build up and fan interaction you could possibly imagine. The Union bears aren’t perfect as I mentioned the likes of BMG has to go, but by god imagine the stadium without them ?
Excellent post mate.

I doubt any other set of fans in world football are under the same scrutiny, and receive the amount of criticism that we do, due to the songs we sing. Not surprising then that some people just don't bother.
However the club need to do more in my opinion and properly engage with those who do want to create an atmosphere. They are quite happy to use photos of the UB's displays yet stick the group in BF1. A standing section behind the goals is a priority for me.

What you heard with FTP and the Vatican is going away but it will be a long gradual process. Some people are less informed of the potential harm it does our club, or are just stuck in their habits of doing what they always did.

Agree it's a difficult problem with the Billy Boys.

First steps would be to get confirmation from the relevant authorities on what an acceptable version of the words would be. Those words could then be shown on the screens, or Rangers produce a booklet with acceptable wording to the most used songs. There would no doubt be some that would still use the old words but these people should then be singled out and punished. It comes down to whether a song should be proscribed because a small percentage of supporters sing the wrong words. I don't agree with that principle and believe only those that do wrong should be punished. As long as it has been made clear to everyone by messages on the screens and by a leaflet on the seat, emails, etc.... then there can be no excuse of not knowing what the appropriate words are.

The European and Scottish football authorities must understand that there will be individual law breakers within a huge support but they need to make a judgement on whether the majority of the support are singing the proscribed words. If the new song lyrics are communicated effectively then I would be surprised if even 5% of the support sang the wrong words.

We have a Rangers' version. Its been around for years well before the faux outrage. Its on a Rangers LP I believe. It starts with the fantastic line, "We are the people who sing of victory". Get it played before games with the lyrics on the big screens.

Was right next to their fans on thurs and barely any of them reacted to the game. While I agree the bears should get a larger section/ introduce a singing section, football is a game of reactions and not a sing along show

Same old excuses rolled out in every thread. Our away support is fantastic but the truth is out with Celtic and certain European games the support we give our team is woeful.

Can try and big ourselves up as much as we like but it’s nothing in comparison to a lot of European teams and the likes a Leeds etc

Was right next to their fans on thurs and barely any of them reacted to the game. While I agree the bears should get a larger section/ introduce a singing section, football is a game of reactions and not a sing along show

That's exactly what I thought, they didn't seem to react when their team was attacking or under threat, just carried on as though there was nothing happening in front of them.

I started going to Ibrox in the late 60's. Most of the guys I went with back then wouldnt thank you for a ticket now because the atmosphere is so shit. Its got nothing to do with age. Its all about attitude and many of you younger ones dont do enough to make things better.
There was the added bonus then of the carry out. B-D

Same old excuses rolled out in every thread. Our away support is fantastic but the truth is out with Celtic and certain European games the support we give our team is woeful.

Can try and big ourselves up as much as we like but it’s nothing in comparison to a lot of European sides or even the likes a Leeds down south

From looking at the thoughts of the away fans on Thursday as well as comments from older Rangers fans in different circles, it appears they believe the atmosphere at Ibrox has gotten considerably worse in recent years, do we think that really is the case and if so, how is this remedied.
because we done nothing to keep our most thunderous song in the Billy Boys and rely mostly on the UB starting mostly everything. No spontaneity anymore.

There's nothing that can be done about it. We all know how bad the atmosphere is, there's no hiding from it and it's an uncomfortable conversation. The amount of folk that leave early at like the 70 minute mark onward is just painful to watch as well. The topic has been on this forum for many many years and will many more to come.

Our fans in general are just very impatient. First 10-15 mins if we haven't scored the moaning and groaning starts and that kills any hope of atmosphere too. The groaning when we play a pass that isn't forwards is just exhausting and I think folk get too uncomfortable to start singing when there's severe moaning round about them. There's many reasons tbf. We'll get 1 or 2 good atmospheres a season if that.

Don't see the need for the constant crywanking about this. Ibrox for big games is incredible. Thursday wasn't that big a game in the first place and after we went 2 up it was clear that they were pretty pish and weren't going to cause too many problems.

There's been plenty of big noisy atmospheres during Gerrard's time.

Otherwise, people just need to accept we're different to these "European ultra" type supports that they seem to want us to be.
We’re not that different imo. No stadium is rocking from start to finish of every match. Especially in smaller games against league cannon fodder. Some amount of fans desperate to put the stadium and support down.

You only have to go back to the Hearts game. Stop reading shite online and speaking to "back in my days people"

People who aren’t slagging off Ibrox and the atmosphere don’t want a poor atmosphere. You don’t need to slag it off to want it to be better.

Ok.

Ibrox has the best atmosphere in the world but I know numerous guys who follow followed for years but wouldnt thank you for a free ticket. They're waiting and hoping for it to get even better.

How's that?

It wasn't what it once was.

The whole stadium doesn't sing anymore. Everyone relies on the UB thinking they'll take up the slack.

A standing section may improve it.

Ok.

Ibrox has the best atmosphere in the world but I know numerous guys who follow followed for years but wouldnt thank you for a free ticket. They're waiting and hoping for it to get even better.

How's that?
Who said you have to say it’s the best atmosphere in the world ever?

I don’t think I’ll bother about people who don’t support Rangers because it isn’t noisy enough. It’ll be too warm or too cold or something else if it was noisier.

I treated her indoors to her first ever match a few weeks ago. Afterwards, she said that she hadn't realised everyone just sat and watched the match and didn't chant or sing or provide support to the team. She's not in a hurry to return.

I treated her indoors to her first ever match a few weeks ago. Afterwards, she said that she hadn't realised everyone just sat and watched the match and didn't chant or sing or provide support to the team. She's not in a hurry to return.
How would she know if she hadnt been to a game before?

Back