Ibrox Atmosphere

A major issue is that we have nobody to continually represent these views to the club. 1872 won’t do it, board aren’t interested.

Almost like we need a pressure group to force change.

I treated her indoors to her first ever match a few weeks ago. Afterwards, she said that she hadn't realised everyone just sat and watched the match and didn't chant or sing or provide support to the team. She's not in a hurry to return.

I worked beside a girl who took her son to Ibrox for his first game. He didnt enjoy it and didnt want to go back. She said the atmosphere was awful.

Don't see the need for the constant crywanking about this. Ibrox for big games is incredible. Thursday wasn't that big a game in the first place and after we went 2 up it was clear that they were pretty pish and weren't going to cause too many problems.

There's been plenty of big noisy atmospheres during Gerrard's time.

Otherwise, people just need to accept we're different to these "European ultra" type supports that they seem to want us to be.
Our Ultra scene would be a traditionalist one though, so much different to the European one.

The Rapid Vienna fans loved the Ibrox atmosphere due to the originality of our songs, it wasn’t the Ultras drone pish we’re accustomed to in Europe.

Imagine that but for a full 90 mins? Constant Rangers songs and our old Loyalist ones like Derry’s walls.

Don't see the need for the constant crywanking about this. Ibrox for big games is incredible.
Myth and I don't get why people feel the need to push it. Insecuritys that its not actually true?

How can you say Brondby wasn't a big game? If we hadn't won we would have been out of Europa & we let 1800 outsing us for 90 minutes.

Hearts not a big game? Course not.

Makes smile when people go on about how good the atmosphere is compared to the 'old days' citing games like the Inter Milan game in 1984. The truth is that a lot of games around then attracted around 20,000 and Ibrox was dead.

Even in the 70s before Ibrox was rebuilt at lot of games had small crowds with little atmosphere.

Ever since we got told to stop singing certain songs, the atmosphere got worse. Part of the reason it would be difficult for me to go back to watch a game, I would probably get lifted.

Makes smile when people go on about how good the atmosphere is compared to the 'old days' citing games like the Inter Milan game in 1984. The truth is that a lot of games around then attracted around 20,000 and Ibrox was dead.

Even in the 70s before Ibrox was rebuilt at lot of games had small crowds with little atmosphere.

I started going in the late 60's and the singing usually started about 20 minutes before ko even with just 20k fans in total.

The point is we now have close to 50k every home game and the atmosphere is crap.

I don’t really know what people expect atmosphere wise. There isn’t a stadium in Europe that will be bouncing for 90mins every game, every season. Think folk see 30second clips of sing songs on social media and think that’s what stadiums are like all the time.

Safe standing would improve it a little but whether people like it or not the common denominator to the best atmospheres from our/any UK support is one thing, bevvy.

Away games domestically and most definitely abroad, games against the bin dippers, bigger Euro games and Semis and Finals bring out a better atmosphere because a large chunk of the support have have a good few beers beforehand

Not getting your point my friend.
Really?
My point is that singing songs with references to the UVF, IRA, UDA, or whatever, are stopping Rangers supporters of very long standing singing at Ibrox.
The next thing you know, idiots come along on here complaining that no one joins in their songs.

In words of one syllable, sing gers songs and let more folk join in.
Our still proud song book would trump all the rest. It's the need for some to sing bout shit that dont count no more.

I'm sadly fed up looking at posts on here after a 'library' atmosphere at Ibrox because I don't join in with coked up neds who want to regale us about battles fought hundreds of years ago.

Rangers songs only for me.

D'ya get my point now?

There's been progress with the songbook over the last few years with new additions but still feel we are short of songs that everyone knows and is willing to sing, when compared to 20 years ago and more. This means songs need to get used too often during games and that will no doubt put people off if you've just put your all into a song then the same one comes up 15 minutes later. Also some of the newer songs seem a bit generic and are sung by many clubs so I prefer the old traditional songs such as Derry's Walls, The Sash, Born Under a Union Jack, Follow Follow, Build My Gallows and also Blue Sea of Ibrox, 4 Lads, Every Saturday We Follow. I feel that Every Saturday We Follow especially is a bit overused these days. Have seen some people saying they don't like Build My Gallows but to me that's the kind of song we need to keep as, regardless of whether the lyrics are relevant, it's so tuneful and a total contrast to the standard chants that all sound the same from the likes of the Brondby support. We're Coming Down The Road is the same for me and can't be dropped.

There didn't seem to be any points in the game on Thursday against Brondby where everyone was up singing so I would expect the Brondby support not to be overly impressed with Ibrox on our Thursday showing. There's many reasons for this that have already been discussed in another thread.

We can't give up the fight on getting two of our best songs back - Billy Boys and Super Rangers.
Nowadays we can't be singing about hating anybody so just need to change the line "We hate ceptic, flipping bassas" to something more positive about Rangers. The change in lyrics would need to be communicated to the fans, and the club would need to be seen to be making this effort to change the words.
For the Billy Boys it's more difficult as there will be so many that would lapse into the old words out of habit. It's an easier song to sing at the top of your voice than something like Follow Follow or Derry's Walls and its terrible that we have allowed ourselves to be censored in this way. I'd be happy to revert to the older traditional words to get the song back. We need to set the agenda of getting our songs back rather than waiting for our enemies to try and take more away.
The tune of The Billy Boys is banned, there's no bringing that back with different lyrics, the tune and melody are deemed as sectarian if used by our support, even if that sounds ridiculous.

In the decision UEFA say the tune or melody, if it were to be hummed, whistled, or played on an instrument, could cause offence to a significant section of the Irish and Scottish population, therefore can't be used in any form.

We were charged with singing it and made the argument that any words could be used and it was unclear if offensive words were used. UEFA's response was it doesn't matter what words as the tune and melody is offensive when associated with us.

Our defence in 2006 was halfhearted and we waived our right to appeal. After which the club began the messaging that TBB was banned in all forms. We had no desire to push back as it was round the time of the approved songbook thing and the Club starting to push against the support.

People have tried to pick holes in the judgement since and some claim that it can be read as only the tune used with those words is banned, and it can if you want to read it like that. But for most, including the Club, the judgement is clear that Rangers (and Linfield I'm sure from the original ruling) cant use that tune.

The tune of The Billy Boys is banned, there's no bringing that back with different lyrics, the tune and melody are deemed as sectarian if used by our support, even if that sounds ridiculous.

In the decision UEFA say the tune or melody, if it were to be hummed, whistled, or played on an instrument, could cause offence to a significant section of the Irish and Scottish population, therefore can't be used in any form.

We were charged with singing it and made the argument that any words could be used and it was unclear if offensive words were used. UEFA's response was it doesn't matter what words as the tune and melody is offensive when associated with us.

Our defence in 2006 was halfhearted and we waived our right to appeal. After which the club began the messaging that TBB was banned in all forms. We had no desire to push back as it was round the time of the approved songbook thing and the Club starting to push against the support.

People have tried to pick holes in the judgement since and some claim that it can be read as only the tune used with those words is banned, and it can if you want to read it like that. But for most, including the Club, the judgement is clear that Rangers (and Linfield I'm sure from the original ruling) cant use that tune.
Can we not sing marching through Georgia

Having such high proportion of our stadium capacity given over to season tickets has killed the atmosphere.

What is it - maybe 95% of the ground is ST's with people sat in the same seat game after game, year after year.

That's not healthy.

Let's be honest, we are with our mates pre game and then most of us then go our separate ways within the stadium. Friends and groups split up all over the place. That is shit for generating a boisterous, spontaneous atmosphere.

Just look at the Copland to see what damage has been done over the last few decades by having people glued to their bits of plastic.

I wish I could get everyone over to some games in Germany to see how it is done properly and how things should be on matchdays, it might open some people's eyes.

It does sound ridiculous, but I suppose that doesn't mean it's not true when we think of who we are dealing with. It may be the case that UEFA have since become aware of how their decision was influenced by celtic supporters supplying them with incorrect information regarding the song celebrating the Billy Boys razor gang, and the assumption that fanian means Catholic rather than a political outlook. From what you say UEFA have said the song could cause offence regardless of what words were used, but surely it's the words that caused people to take offence to that song, so if the words were changed people couldn't claim to be offended. Where does it stop if a song can be regarded as offensive even after new inoffensive words were adopted.

To me UEFA have overstepped themselves with this decision but the club would gain very little out of raising this issue now, other than a slightly better atmosphere, so unsure who could contest it.

Do the Scottish football authorities take the same view, or would they allow it with alternative words ? Getting it back for domestic games would be a start.

Astoundingly, there are people who believe this to be true!
I'd love to see that court case :)

I didn’t believe it, but years ago a poster put the UEFA judgment detail on FF which confirmed it to be the case.

From recollection the basic premise is the “tune” is regarded as sectarian in Scotland and as such singing songs to it is prohibited here.

Having such high proportion of our stadium capacity given over to season tickets has killed the atmosphere.

What is it - maybe 95% of the ground is ST's with people sat in the same seat game after game, year after year.

That's not healthy.

Let's be honest, we are with our mates pre game and then most of us then go our separate ways within the stadium. Friends and groups split up all over the place. That is shit for generating a boisterous, spontaneous atmosphere.

Just look at the Copland to see what damage has been done over the last few decades by having people glued to their bits of plastic.

I wish I could get everyone over to some games in Germany to see how it is done properly and how things should be on matchdays, it might open some people's eyes.
The Copland in its present form is fucked. The quietest part of the stadium. Very few that sit there seem willing to see change to the present situation.

It does sound ridiculous, but I suppose that doesn't mean it's not true when we think of who we are dealing with. It may be the case that UEFA have since become aware of how their decision was influenced by celtic supporters supplying them with incorrect information regarding the song celebrating the Billy Boys razor gang, and the assumption that fanian means Catholic rather than a political outlook. From what you say UEFA have said the song could cause offence regardless of what words were used, but surely it's the words that caused people to take offence to that song, so if the words were changed people couldn't claim to be offended. Where does it stop if a song can be regarded as offensive even after new inoffensive words were adopted.

To me UEFA have overstepped themselves with this decision but the club would gain very little out of raising this issue now, other than a slightly better atmosphere, so unsure who could contest it.

Do the Scottish football authorities take the same view, or would they allow it with alternative words ? Getting it back for domestic games would be a start.

Never mind changing a word or two, its time to play the proper Rangers' version that no one could possibly be offended by. If necessary Rangers should get in touch with UEFA and get them to take a look at it again.

I didn’t believe it, but years ago a poster put the UEFA judgment detail on FF which confirmed it to be the case.

From recollection the basic premise is the “tune” is regarded as sectarian in Scotland and as such singing songs to it is prohibited here.

Regarded as sectarian in Scotland by who? Michael Stewart?

I worked beside a girl who took her son to Ibrox for his first game. He didnt enjoy it and didnt want to go back. She said the atmosphere was awful.
I've brought quite a number of people up from England over the years and they have left Ibrox being pretty underwhelmed by the atmosphere.

They hear all the cliche stuff about our supposed great atmosphere, but when they see the reality it is quite disappointing.

I've brought quite a number of people up from England over the years and they have left Ibrox being pretty underwhelmed by the atmosphere.

They hear all the cliche stuff about our supposed great atmosphere, but when they see the reality it is quite disappointing.

Me too. Ive brought people from England, Wales, Italy, USA and Oz. The only really good atmosphere was with the Welsh people back in the early 1980's, but that was against Celtic.

If you want to bring back the billy boys it’s simple. Take the piss take version, we’re up to our knees in chips and cheese, or have a proper change, something like up to our knees in Ibrox Noise ( I’m not Shakespeare) and it’s back. It’s two words, change them, communicate it, put it on the screens we are home and hosed and a good tune is back. What happened to the old every other Saturday? Follow follow. Again as post keep the words out, all our fans know these and if kept “clean” to hell with what people say!

The UB is a double edged sword. It would be very quiet without them, but I do think other areas of the ground wait for them instead of starting a song or two themselves.

People wanting the BB back with different words are in dreamland. Firstly, as soon as it goes up, the old words will come out as force of habit. Secondly, you saw the furore over using 4 Lads in club advertising, right?!

The UB is a double edged sword. It would be very quiet without them, but I do think other areas of the ground wait for them instead of starting a song or two themselves.

People wanting the BB back with different words are in dreamland. Firstly, as soon as it goes up, the old words will come out as force of habit. Secondly, you saw the furore over using 4 Lads in club advertising, right?!
I can't see the club wanting to get the Billy Boys back as it would potentially lead to more trouble with UEFA if it's re-introduction wasn't managed correctly. Then there's the issue of how to police it going forward.

It's probably more hassle than it's worth for the club, but for me it has great memories of younger days supporting the club and was a song that brought the best out in the Rangers support.

Stopping people singing the offensive words would come down to communication and also the warning that they could potentially be lifted if caught singing them. Rangers would need to understand UEFA's stance regarding the singing of offensive songs. If one person sings an offensive song then the stewards and police deal with them but how many does it need to be before UEFA start to hold the club responsible, and how do they make that subjective judgement on how many are participating in an offensive song?

Watch all the games on RTV,and honestly, if we are not playing good and scoring at Ibrox,it’s like a library.truely disheartening.:(
Traveling support,are the complete opposite,I love watching the away games.

Really?
My point is that singing songs with references to the UVF, IRA, UDA, or whatever, are stopping Rangers supporters of very long standing singing at Ibrox.
The next thing you know, idiots come along on here complaining that no one joins in their songs.

In words of one syllable, sing gers songs and let more folk join in.
Our still proud song book would trump all the rest. It's the need for some to sing bout shit that dont count no more.

I'm sadly fed up looking at posts on here after a 'library' atmosphere at Ibrox because I don't join in with coked up neds who want to regale us about battles fought hundreds of years ago.

Rangers songs only for me.

D'ya get my point now?

No, I was putting forward a valid reason why the atmosphere is shyte, you obviously wanted a wee rant about the songs you don't like.
Nothing to do with what I was talking about ;)

The demographic trend of your average supporter at Ibrox is on the elderly side. For home games I usually end up in either the Copland Rear of the Club Deck depending on who's ticket I'm using.

I'd reckon the average age in the Copland would be around 50 and in the Club Deck it's probably pushing 60! I'm 43 and I always feel pretty young compared to the fans around me at Ibrox. That in itself doesn't lend itself to an atmosphere as traditionally it's the younger supporters who make the noise (the average age in BF1 will be much lower) but it's something that'll only get worse as tickets become increasingly hard to come by and those who already have them become ever more reluctant to part with them.

For the really big European games it can still be a magical place and for run of the mill games, it'll be largely silent but I first went to my first game in the early 90s and tbh it's always been like that.

That's not healthy.

Its really sad to see the rear copland is like a dentists waiting room used to be up there when i was younger in the 80 s singing away most matches had season ticket just for stand not specific seat ,not just picking on this section of ground most of the Ibrox is the same but i agree theyl be a lot guys in there from when we were the young team in 80s who are a lot older now and arent intrested in creating an atmosphere anymore just sitting watching and leaving nothing more.The season ticket same seat arrangement of stadium has caused this and i say that as one myself just the way it is unfortunatly.

We need more bevvied people at games.

That’s why Euro nights and games v the scum are better. More steaming people :))

All this good health nonsense is killing the atmosphere LOL

Back