Ibrox Atmosphere

A 7 hour drive up last night. Hotel for the weekend. Plenty of cash spent to attend the match like many others. The atmosphere was poor today but we can not lay all of the blame for that on the support. The team needs to show energy and commitment to get the crowd going and they did none of that today. It’s a collective effort and collective failure, team and support.

Good post mate. Massive credit to you for supporting the club the way you do. You deserved better today.

There’s one part of that id disagree with EK. I think the fanbase as a whole has let years of no trophies build up on us & can be very very impatient these days.
We are desperate for a return to winning a trophy & the tims run frustrates us & it leads to us being unreasonable at times imo.
I agree we are impatient and it is counter productive at times but just didn't feel it was that bad today. Was the referee getting most of the abuse and moans and groans where I sit, up until the last 15 mins or so.

Not one attempt from the stands to get behind the team when they were clearly struggling. Flat as f.uck. Hugely disappointing. Ibrox is a real problem.

Big in numbers, poor in support.

The players have to do there bit also, but im afraid not many of them did anything to -day.So i can't see how it's the fans fault if the teams poor.

Its not the fans fault that the players had a bad day at the office . Not the fans who should be getting it in the neck , they donate their hard earned to pay these guys miserly wages . The manager should be hauling them into tomorrow to watch the full game over and over as punishment .

Home support is toxic when things not going right. Barisic, who was poor today, being abused left right and centre today from loads of numpties around me.

We were very poor today against a very poor team it was a crap game. It wouldn't have made any difference how much the crowd sang.

We should be encouraging younger fans but we can't because Ibrox needs expanding . I would personally move the screens to the main stand and fill in the corners that would be at least 5,000 and make them pay on the gate. Our support is stale too many middle aged moaners but hey ho nobody wants the truth

To be fair a good laugh went up in my section when Worral was announced as MotM. So there’s that. Otherwise the players were lucky we stuck around much less sang. Miserable, shocking football.

Quick question OP, how much happy clapping would it take for Daniel Candeias to show composure 8 yards from goal, just so I know for next game instead of wondering why we pay him a fortune to be a translator for Alfredo Morelos.

I think sometimes people confuse going to the cinema/theatre with going to the football.

You go to the cinema to be quiet, passive and be entertained.

You go to the football to give active support to your team and help try and influence the outcome by creating a positive and inspiring atmosphere.

Feels we have too many cinema goers attending Ibrox - and that hinders rather than helps the team and the end result is a flat, miserable atmosphere.

The level of actual active support at Ibrox is almost non-existent (apart from BF1)

Last edited:
Ibrox became a totally different place in the Warburton era.

I remember thinking at the time, that due to the weight of expectations, the sheer thirst for success and the unrelenting demands of the support - many of those players were shit scared, playing in front of their own fans, at home in their own stadium.

The connection between the players and the fans is quite obviously, as crucial as any at the club, but whilst the onus is on the team to give the fans something to get excited and worked up about; the onus is most definitely on the fans, not to rip them to shreds, whilst they're quite obviously struggling to do so.

Their job is to be successful and to try and entertain whilst doing so, and our job is to support them endlessly in those endeavours. The ugly part, is that grey area, where people start getting riled and enraged because things just aren't happening. We could do with a lot less of it, but unfortunately, it's one of the ramifications of where we are and where we've been this last seven years.

Unless of course, you're one of the malcontents who makes it their life's work.

I can’t tell you how this rubbish does my nut in. We fill the ground week on week. We kept the club afloat. The players created the atmosphere today as they were honking. This myth that us singing can create a goal is infantile. The fans rarely get much to sing about as it’s false dawn after false dawn. It’s a miracle they still turn up in their droves. Gie us peace.

This “rubbish” has been verified by players not just of our club but of clubs all over the world that fans backing them can give them an extra yard.

But here’s a wee pat on the back for showing up

I honestly for the life of me can't understand our inconsistency, the atmosphere reflects whats on the park, yes we can all sing out loud but if it ain't happening on the pitch unfortunately the atmosphere dies.

The players should be wise enough to know what the crowd is like. Imperative we set the tone from the off and don't let a team settle into their block.

We did that today and I knew 15 minutes in the way it was going to go

I got slaughtered early in the match thread for saying we had to score in the first half or we would suffer. We never learn our lesson in games like this.

I don't know why but I just wasn't up for it the way I normally am.
3 minutes into the game I could tell the players were the same.
I still sang the songs and tried to chèer the team on, but it was a poor performance all round

Dont get this sort of stuff, Turned out in big numbers yet again today to watch that shite.

Players gave us absolutely nothing to get excited about today

I got slaughtered early in the match thread for saying we had to score in the first half or we would suffer. We never learn our lesson in games like this.

We really need to come out with venom and get an early goal. It forces teams to come out and suits us on break finding space

We need to change things at Ibrox, not everyone will sing and back the team When we are struggling but a safe standing section full of bears might just keep us going when things are not going well.
It’s worth a try.

The players have said it numerous times. It helps when the fans give their backing.

Safe standing will give those fans that want to back the team for 90 minutes an area where they can gather together and do that.

Fans, like those posting in here, who expect the players to create the atmosphere, can then sit together in silence with likeminded others.

Said in the match thread how long before the fans are to blame I’m surprised it took so long.

We are not the issue shite bag attitudes of the players is.

Not had one of these threads for while,blaming the support for failing to beat utter dross.

Stop using that stupid analogy, it's completely different.
Completely different,yes that's true tbh but at the same time there seems to be a lot of fans that think that players aren't playing as well as they should because they are getting stick from the fans,for what it's worth it does my nut in ppl shouting abuse constantly but at the same time it's always been that way really but a lot of players seem to go in to their shell and overthink things and don't play their natural game. PS yes I'm pished if that doesn't make sense

It plays right in to the hands of the opposition when we are struggling. The performance of the players today was dreadful but so was the performance of a huge number of so called supporters.
Couldn’t agree more.
Today was the day the team needed us to inspire them not the other way round.
We let ourselves down on and off the park today.

St Johnstone brought 2 car loads of supporters and created no noise but managed to get the best 2 chances of the game.
We had 50000 supporters and created no noise and could be playing til midnight and not score.
It's nothing to do with supporters or noise it's down to the players on the park.
You can have all the noise,flares and firecrackers in the world but Candeias would still miss that chance.

The atmosphere obviously isn't great at times but I think that is more on the players,on the positive side I would say kamara looks good,but we have no threat through the middl from midfield,we pass wide and cross constantly,even a team like st Johnston can deal with that easily

It's down to the players on the pitch to give the supporters something to sing about.

As much as it is down to the fans to lift the team not put more pressure on them.

I know they pay so they are entitled to moan, but personally I think the moaning B4stards should stay at home.

Always chuckle at this shite

Our home crowd get it for not supporting enough
Our away crowd get it for supporting too much

One things for sure we never miss a chance to put the boot into our own.
Not a case of putting the boot into anyone its a harsh reality that our home crowd is terrible out with the big games, polar opposite from our away support which is one of the best in the UK if not thee best in the UK.

If we created an atmosphere like we do on European night's or in games v the scum I doubt very much the diddy teams would take many points from visits to Ibrox, guess we'll never find out though :(

St Johnstone had about a minibus full of fans today, St Johnstone nearly won the game without thousands spurring them on, why is the fans fault?
maybe they couldn't hear their fans moans groans and abuse every time they misplaced a pass? maybe they fed off the abuse that thousands of the oppositions teams supporters were dishing out to their own player's? Why do we need to score early at Ibrox or we know it's going to be a struggle? I think the 'support' plays a larger part than many realise!

It plays right in to the hands of the opposition when we are struggling. The performance of the players today was dreadful but so was the performance of a huge number of so called supporters.

The players gave us absolutely nothing,no wonder the atmosphere was flat.

What must Gerrard think, anybody saying “ah but anfield is just as bad” is clutching at straws, it’s laughable how tame Ibrox is and I personally have never been to any premiership game in real life or on TV that’s as quiet as our ground.

“Scottish football hasn’t got the riches of the PL but it’s still got the passion”

Aye.... ok.

What must Gerrard think, anybody saying “ah but anfield is just as bad” is clutching at straws, it’s laughable how tame Ibrox is and I personally have never been to any premiership game in real life or on TV that’s as quiet as our ground.

“Scottish football hasn’t got the riches of the PL but it’s still got the passion”

Aye.... ok.
Bang on the money mate.

Gerrard is used to a set of fans who actively support their team at Liverpool. He must despair at home games at Ibrox where only BF1 make any attempt to support the team.

It's a very sad situation.

Passion in Scottish football is a myth.

If we created an atmosphere like we do on European night's or in games v the scum I doubt very much the diddy teams would take many points from visits to Ibrox, guess we'll never find out though :(
100% agree. As a support we are our own worst enemy at times. It’s fair enough to expect the players to put eveything into their on field performance, but the support need to do their bit and inspire the team. It’s even more important when it’s obvious that several players are below par. We should be making as much noise as humanly possible at EVERY home game, you’re not supporting the team by giving players stick or leaving 15 mins early.

Bang on the money mate.

Gerrard is used to a set of fans who actively support their team at Liverpool. He must despair at home games at Ibrox where only BF1 make any attempt to support the team.

It's a very sad situation.

Passion in Scottish football is a myth.
Had a quick look on Liverpool fans forum and seems they are having some debates about poor atmosphere too.

Its key we get a goal first half.

Because when we get to the second half the moans, groans and boos amplify, the pressure increases massively and the players start punting the ball.
I just think far too many fans go to games unwilling to play a part. Far too many just expect to be entertained, cheer for any goals and then go home. Maybe our support is generally too old.

Last edited:
Only in the UK is that a thing. Which is why the UK is the poorest atmospheres in football.

I agree. I attended a Portland Timbers game a year or two back, and the supporters sang and chanted non-stop, from 30 minutes before the game till the players left the park at the end. It didn't hurt that they won 1-0, but the goal was scored maybe 30 mins into the first half - but they'd been singing lustily for the entire time before that.

At 3pm today we were still in a title race. The flatness of the place was utterly mind-boggling for a team trying to close the gap on their nearest rivals.

Both the fans and team should feed off each other, mate. In saying that, many teams know that if they don't concede by half time at Ibrox then our players get nervous second half. I've seen it too often at Ibrox down the decades. Getting that early goal at Ibrox should be drummed into the players.

At 3pm today we were still in a title race. The flatness of the place was utterly mind-boggling for a team trying to close the gap on their nearest rivals.
Absolutely bang on the money and that's what I can't get my head around. I firmly believe that if we recreate a Euro night atmosphere at all our home games then we give ourselves a fantastic opportunity to win the league this season. To have such a limp, insipid support, especially at this stage of the season, is heartbreaking.

Back