Ibrox Atmosphere

I can’t tell you how this rubbish does my nut in. We fill the ground week on week. We kept the club afloat. The players created the atmosphere today as they were honking. This myth that us singing can create a goal is infantile. The fans rarely get much to sing about as it’s false dawn after false dawn. It’s a miracle they still turn up in their droves. Gie us peace.

Absolutely nothing to do with the numbers of the fans, we have been superb. What does my nut in is the negative shouts from the stands straight from kick off. There is an element of our fanbase who seem to save up their frustration to vent onto our players. Ibrox has become toxic at times which is totally wrong.

Crowd was flat as was the team. I’m no football manager but a team that’s going to sit in play your target man! Laff made a difference when he came, so would like to think he would have caused them more trouble if he was on for the full 90

Fans have the right to let the players know they are not doing it. My only gripe with yesterday was it started so early and got worse and worse. The fans where on the players who where shocking yesterday.

The support turned after about 3/4 mins on Barisic and gave the guy pelters, when you’re completely short of confidence like he was it’s just insane to keep howling at him.

I also heard Worrall called a dick after 1m 04 secs yesterday, that sums up the mentality of some

The last time the atmosphere was good at Ibrox for a non Celtic or Euro game was against Hibs a few years ago when we were in the championship. Waghorn scored at the end to put us 4-2 up. It was incredible scenes, Ibrox was rocking. We need to find a way to make that regular for every match day.

The last time the atmosphere was good at Ibrox for a non Celtic or Euro game was against Hibs a few years ago when we were in the championship. Waghorn scored at the end to put us 4-2 up. It was incredible scenes, Ibrox was rocking. We need to find a way to make that regular for every match day.
Everybody needs to realise that by creating as intimidating an atmosphere as possible it gives us the best chance of winning. It really is that simple. The support needs to bring its 'A' game, not just the players.

Our fans arrive angry and leave raging.

The fact most of them turn up blootered and seem pissed off that the football match (they paid to see) is interrupting their day of drinking doesn't help.

What a load of complete and utter shite from start to finish.
Wrong on every level ffs.

This “rubbish” has been verified by players not just of our club but of clubs all over the world that fans backing them can give them an extra yard.

But here’s a wee pat on the back for showing up
Football players are so resolute. They would never look for excuses before accepting their own performance isn't good enough.
In reality it is a matter of cause and effect. Players performing well gets the crowd behind them. Players playing shit gets the crowd on their back. Yesterday Rangers played poorly, and they caused the support's negative reaction.

Football players are so resolute. They would never look for excuses before accepting their own performance isn't good enough.
In reality it is a matter of cause and effect. Players performing well gets the crowd behind them. Players playing shit gets the crowd on their back. Yesterday Rangers played poorly, and they caused the support's negative reaction.

Well it’s off the back of big wins, so would they be making excuses for winning or are they getting their excuses in prior to a bad result in a few weeks?

What must Gerrard think, anybody saying “ah but anfield is just as bad” is clutching at straws, it’s laughable how tame Ibrox is and I personally have never been to any premiership game in real life or on TV that’s as quiet as our ground.

“Scottish football hasn’t got the riches of the PL but it’s still got the passion”

Aye.... ok.
Anfield is exactly the same. It’s like a morgue when things aren’t going their way.

Same at Old Trafford, probably worse, and same at Parkhead.

Well it’s off the back of big wins, so would they be making excuses for winning or are they getting their excuses in prior to a bad result in a few weeks?
Well they do tend to say the support helped after big wins. But players are never asked this question after really poor results, "You and your team mates were awful. Your collectively poor performance provoked anger and derision from the support. Did the team deserve it"? Honest players would answer yes in my opinion. Cause and effect.

It plays right in to the hands of the opposition when we are struggling. The performance of the players today was dreadful but so was the performance of a huge number of so called supporters.

Every time we fail to win a game at Ibrox out comes the old excuse of blaming the fans. Compared to every other club, with the exception of you know who, we have well paid professionals who should be able to raise their game in front of a full house at home.

We as a fan base are no different from anh others, put on a show and we will raise the roof, play poor as we did yesterday and grumbles will be heard.

Yesterday was our last chance saloon as far as title contention was concerned so surely no surprise that the mood in the ground was less than joyous watching a pretty miserable and pathetic performance.

Well they do tend to say the support helped after big wins. But players are never asked this question after really poor results, "You and your team mates were awful. Your collectively poor performance provoked anger and derision from the support. Did the team deserve it"? Honest players would answer yes in my opinion. Cause and effect.

So do we not have a responsibility to help the team when they’re not performing?
Or can we only support when we are playing well?
We turn up week after week in our thousands, that doesn’t help the players though. You’d be as well with a half empty stadium of positive people

To be fair a good laugh went up in my section when Worral was announced as MotM. So there’s that. Otherwise the players were lucky we stuck around much less sang. Miserable, shocking football.
Most fans did NOT stick around as far as I could see. The laughter when JW got motm would have the same confidence-denting as booing him - although I think the only potential motm announcements that would Not have caused head-scratching would have been, maybe, Kamara or Fod.

It plays right in to the hands of the opposition when we are struggling. The performance of the players today was dreadful but so was the performance of a huge number of so called supporters.

It sounded terrible on RTV after about 15-20 minutes of the first half.

The moans & groans etc. Can’t be easy atmosphere to play in whenever you make a mistake & having thousands roaring at you.

However that’s the way it is so our hunks either need to toughen up or ship out.

So do we not have a responsibility to help the team when they’re not performing?
Or can we only support when we are playing well?
We turn up week after week in our thousands, that doesn’t help the players though. You’d be as well with a half empty stadium of positive people
Well what does that responsibility look like? If it is suppressing how you really feel and clapping a woefully under performing team I don't see how that is helping. If anything it encourages players to feel satisfied with what they are serving up. A barrage of criticism serves as a kick up the backside. If a combination of tough talking by the manager, and negative reaction from the support can't get a team playing, not just playing, but earning their wages, then the lesson is clear. These players don't have the character or work ethic to win the title. The support's reaction to games like yesterday is also a message to our management. It is incumbent on the manager and DoF to get players performing, and to find players who can perform at the required standard. The support accepting howling displays like yesterday's is never going to happen, and they don't know how to even if they tried. To be honest I'm glad it's this way as "happy clapping" doesn't belong in a Rangers support.

What comes first the fans creating an atmosphere to lift and inspire the players to lift their game or the players lifting their game to help the fans create an atmosphere.

Well what does that responsibility look like? If it is suppressing how you really feel and clapping a woefully under performing team I don't see how that is helping. If anything it encourages players to feel satisfied with what they are serving up. A barrage of criticism serves as a kick up the backside. If a combination of tough talking by the manager, and negative reaction from the support can't get a team playing, not just playing, but earning their wages, then the lesson is clear. These players don't have the character or work ethic to win the title. The support's reaction to games like yesterday is also a message to our management. It is incumbent on the manager and DoF to get players performing, and to find players who can perform at the required standard. The support accepting howling displays like yesterday's is never going to happen, and they don't know how to even if they tried. To be honest I'm glad it's this way as "happy clapping" doesn't belong in a Rangers support.

I understand your point Mart, but if you read a number of posts on here, incl my observation in the Main Stand, some guys are lashing out at players before the game has even settled down. First 15 minutes. That’s just not right mate.

The atmosphere being poor yesterday was down to the players.
We were hanging on to a title challenge by a thread we needed a win we needed them to run through brick walls fight with everything they had.
And we'll they never showed up and have blown a hood chance to stop the scum.
15 wins in 26 games and you want us to be happy clapping a performance like that
Behave yourself

No one asked for happy clapping.
I asked for support.
You know, trying to get the team going when it’s not going our way. Rather than moans, groans & negativity, which has never and will never be conducive to good performances or results

I understand your point Mart, but if you read a number of posts on here, incl my observation in the Main Stand, some guys are lashing out at players before the game has even settled down. First 15 minutes. That’s just not right mate.
I appreciate your point mate. But in the context of this thread were the guys lashing out early to blame for the players being awful yesterday? I could never accept they were. Even if the players were aware of early anger from the support why didn't they get their fingers out?
Apologies if too much frustration is coming out in this reply. It's not aimed at you mate. I'm still gutted by this result. It would be a little more acceptable to throw our title chances away against Celtic or Aberdeen. But St Johnstone at home is one bitter pill to swallow.

No one asked for happy clapping.
I asked for support.
You know, trying to get the team going when it’s not going our way. Rather than moans, groans & negativity, which has never and will never be conducive to good performances or results
Fair enough mate. We're at opposite poles on this matter, and we won't change. I respect your opinion even if I can't agree with it.

I appreciate your point mate. But in the context of this thread were the guys lashing out early to blame for the players being awful yesterday? I could never accept they were. Even if the players were aware of early anger from the support why didn't they get their fingers out?
Apologies if too much frustration is coming out in this reply. It's not aimed at you mate. I'm still gutted by this result. It would be a little more acceptable to throw our title chances away against Celtic or Aberdeen. But St Johnstone at home is one bitter pill to swallow.

I know mate. I’m gutted. To me if the tims win today we aren’t gonna win the league. That was a massive loss yesterday & im still on a downer.
The fans weren’t to blame for it. What im saying is despite us not being to blame for it we know we can help them raise their game. We can inspire them.

We need more booing to drive the players on. I suggest a dedicated booing only stand. The Copland would be ideal.

Anfield is exactly the same. It’s like a morgue when things aren’t going their way.

Same at Old Trafford, probably worse, and same at Parkhead.
i go to about 4 or 5 games a season at anfield ,and whilst i would concede that the atmosphere isn't what some parts of the media would claim it would be ,it is by no means as bad as Ibrox ,, of course there are games where large parts of time the crowd are relatively quiet ,but they do tend to stick with their team and criticism of the players isnt a recurring thing ,our crowd at times are on our teams backs from the first 15 minutes if things are not going well from the start,, really dont know how we can solve this to be honest,,it seems ingrained into a section of our support that negativity kicks in once they step through the turnstiles at Ibrox

Just messaged my cousin the same. Its poisonous. If i was a football player i would not want to play for us. Our fans dont get behind our team as a support we can be awful.
That is a ridiculous accusation. The atmosphere was certainly not "poisonous",it may have been muted or dispirited at times, but that was simply a reflection of the team performance.
What happened yesterday, was no fault of the support.

That is a ridiculous accusation. The atmosphere was certainly not "poisonous",it may have been muted or dispirited at times, but that was simply a reflection of the team performance.
What happened yesterday, was no fault of the support.

It certainly was poisonous. For some of our fans to shout racial abuse about our captain and our new signing is poisonous to me. Maybe some of our fans are stuck in the 70s they would better off going with the banana throwers at parkhead.

It certainly was poisonous. For some of our fans to shout racial abuse about our captain and our new signing is poisonous to me. Maybe some of our fans are stuck in the 70s they would better off going with the banana throwers at parkhead.
Feck off. Total lies & should be banned for making it up.

If that happened the person would of been lamped.

Anyone shouting racial abuse at our players should be banned for life

Suprised bears around stood for that absolutely shocking

I think it does make a difference to the players on the pitch, the crowd behind them can really lift the players and the slaughtering they get when they are struggling must be very unpleasant to play in.

It only hurts the team, it doesn't help.

The Ibrox atmosphere is in general, pish.

The fans only turn up vocally for the odd big game if truth be told

Most of the time it’s poisonous

Where?

You heard it? And done what about it?

Main stand front. Im not going to approach abbusive supporters when sitting with two young girls. We shouldnt need to approach our own supporters who are out of line. We are Rangers we should be above that sort of behaviour.

Main stand front. Im not going to approach abbusive supporters when sitting with two young girls. We shouldnt need to approach our own supporters who are out of line. We are Rangers we should be above that sort of behaviour.
But you didn’t tell the polis, stewards or Rangers?

The whole matchday 'experience' on Saturday was poor. Nothing to shout about positive from the play in front of us, and only moans, groans and abuse from a few individuals around us.

I don't think anyone needs to be clapping like a seal to what we watch, and in the same vein I wish folk wouldn't just hurl abuse as it is pointless.

All seating with large season ticket uptake do not make for good atmospheres never mind great ones,I was standing next to the turnstiles at the Govan on Saturday and two Bears were arranging when and where to meet after the game,Before the clamour for season tickets 30 years ago the thought of going to the games without your mates just wouldn't happen.

The performance from the team was woeful but we are certainly NOT a crowd that lifts the team in their hour of need, instead we groan and shout abuse or just sit in silence waiting for something to happen.

The crowd were just as bad as the team on Saturday, you would never have known there was a league title to chase.

We can be a hard crowd to please but some fans hurl abuse at the first misplaced pass,how this is supposed to help I have no idea.Maybe they have a shit life Monday to Friday and this is how they vent their frustrations.
The only things that get me going are lack of effort and a bad attitude,not something that can be levelled at our current squad.

Back