Ibrox Blue Room carpet

Rangerista

I saw a photograph recently taken in the Blue Room and the old vintage RFC crest carpet has been replaced by one bearing the club’s red lion and ball emblem.

Just wondering what was the reason for the change and what have they done with the old one?

It was changed over the summer as part of the refurbishment of the blue room and other parts of the main stand, we did a mini tour in july and it had just been laid then.

I believe it’s plain Blue in the Blue Room and Blue with our crest in the trophy room

As I said above, I was in the Blue Room at the Hamilton game, it 100% has the crest on it. (I took a photo, but don't know hot to post photos here nowadays)

The old carpet was dumped in a skip that sat outside the gates at the Broomloan end for weeks during the refurb,pretty clear what it was and surprised nobody took it, sitting in a landfill site by now.

The old carpet was dumped in a skip that sat outside the gates at the Broomloan end for weeks during the refurb,pretty clear what it was and surprised nobody took it, sitting in a landfill site by now.
Christ don’t say that any excuse for people on here to have a go at Dave King etc:p

I'll bet plenty would have made a donation to take it away and maybe fit it to one of their own rooms in their house, total waste and would have looked good maybe in someones kids room, great souvenir.
Probaby ,who knows it must have been in a bad state

Probaby ,who knows it must have been in a bad state
It was a bespoke carpet made for the club and well looked after, reckon getting the pros in to clean it and would have looked magnificent in someones blue room/kids room or even in your living room.

Along with other old historic pieces of Rangers history I heard. Disgusting to be honest. Items worth hundreds of pounds skipped.

It was rolled up like any other carpet you see in a skip, no idea if the crest was on it or if someone cut it out.
I done some work during the summer and was told the crest from the carpet had been kept,not sure where it was going to end up but definitely was mentioned that it was too good to bin,probably the plain part that was in the skip

Haha this will be good.

Aye mate, I love threads like this as a lot of the time it shows some folks up to be a but clueless at times.

We had one before moaning about getting rid of the “traditions” when we got rid of a Rangers Tartan carpet that was in one of the function rooms. Traditional yet the Rangers tartan was only conceived in the late 80s or early 90s.

I’m all for folks wanting to keep traditions but Ibrox isn’t a museum it’s a football stadium which has went through some fairly major changes over the years. We never sat still and always improved the place.

I’m sure back in the day the trophy room had a ceramic tiled floor which was covered by carpet.

As long as any changes made are done using high quality material and are in keeping with the look of the stadium I’m happy, if any old fixtures and fittings that are removed and are of any use to fans then by all means sell it off but keeping threadbare carpets and stuff that’s worn out throw them away.

We want Ibrox to keep going through these changes and modernising with the times, Ibrox is a special stadium because now it mixes the old with the new. We have an modem stadium with a traditional facade. I’m glad we don’t have a concrete and metal modern stadium clad in plastic.

The carpets were badly needing changed. The Rangers Tartan hasn’t existed for ages it came about in the 80s/90s. If we don’t become a modern club then I honestly don’t know, we’ll fall behind. It’s the same with the dressing room, it’s nice to know that these wooden panels are from the 20s or 30s but look at every other big football club’s dressing room. If you want to attract good players, you need good modern facilities.

Back