Rangers Board Sign Off Ibrox Redevelopment to Boost Disabled Facilities

The issue with this is its quite simplistic, and I honestly don’t mean to offend.

Yeah it’s slightly higher and technically only a few rows back however there’ll definitely be people with mobility issues who you’re then asking to navigate 3 flights of stairs to get to their seat each week rather than a set of 1 steps

Have the club considered wider implications such as this in relation to how they’re going to allocate new seats?

In addition to the wheelchair spaces there will be amenity seating for the ambulant disabled ergo covering those you allude to.

In addition to the wheelchair spaces there will be amenity seating for the ambulant disabled ergo covering those you allude to.
So people in the affected areas that would struggle with moving to an upper deck will be given priority? I had presumed, maybe wrongly, that the seats beside wheelchair bays would be for the support individuals that help them (apologies, don’t know the correct terminology here)

So people in the affected areas that would struggle with moving to an upper deck will be given priority? I had presumed, maybe wrongly, that the seats beside wheelchair bays would be for the support individuals that help them (apologies, don’t know the correct terminology here)

The seats next to the wheelchair spaces are companion seats for the wheelchair fans companion/assistant/carer etc however the seats behind or rather some of them (first row I assume) will be amenity seating. There will be a similar amount of amenity seats as there will wherlchair spaces. They’re basically seats with easier access for people with mobility issues but don't require a wheelchair it's something we've been striving for for years.

The seats next to the wheelchair spaces are companion seats for the wheelchair fans companion/assistant/carer etc however the seats behind or rather some of them (first row I assume) will be amenity seating. There will be a similar amount of amenity seats as there will wherlchair spaces. They’re basically seats with easier access for people with mobility issues but don't require a wheelchair it's something we've been striving for for years.
Makes sense, didn’t realise there was a difference but explanation is really helpful

AA is the back row. Y is 3rd from the back.
Yes, we have been in AA for 30-odd years, it would have been nice to let those season ticket holders know, especially those of us who paid double twice in rapid succession for Club 2000 and Ready For The Future to have our seats for as long as we wanted them.

I agree with improving disabled facilities but some communication would have been appreciated!

Yes, we have been in AA for 30-odd years, it would have been nice to let those season ticket holders know, especially those of us who paid double twice in rapid succession for Club 2000 and Ready For The Future to have our seats for as long as we wanted them.

I agree with improving disabled facilities but some communication would have been appreciated!
It looks like if you are in Row AA you should be ok unless your seat number is in a position where they're installing the new access lifts.

Does anyone know if the club plan to do consultation with affected fans? Would be useful to know what the plans will be in terms of the process of identifying alternative seats and give assurances around how they intend to seat friends/family together

Does anyone know if the club plan to do consultation with affected fans? Would be useful to know what the plans will be in terms of the process of identifying alternative seats and give assurances around how they intend to seat friends/family together

There’s still more work/reports to be finalised but with the proposed date of Summer 2023 for the work to start, I’d imagine it will be around STH renewal time that those effected will start to hear from the club.

I doubt if the club will give a monkey's, looks like my old pal and I will get punted from ours , anywhere where there's stairs are a no no for him, can't see the club being obliging as we're just customers to them

I'm not in a wheelchair but have mobility issues, which is why I moved from Main stand rear to Govan front 6 years ago. I sit in row X of govan front so likely will be moved, how will the club identify people like me to try and keep us away from the rear sections of the ground and club deck? Also my 10 year old daughters seat is two seats behind me in row Z, will she be moved with me? There should be a proper consultation with fans affected by this even if it means work being delayed as there are too many variable circumstances which affects where people can be reasonably moved to. No way should elderly people and people with mobility issues be even asked to entertain rear sections of the ground or club deck.

Love my seat and view, but resigned to moving now as row AA directly next to a stairwell, so will likely be a lift access area.

It is for the betterment of our disabled fans, so I need to suck it up and hope I get a decent seat elsewhere.

I really do hope though, that those of us affected, get first dibs on the new seating on the rear stands, if it goes ahead.

You'd rather not go, than sit in the club deck?

I never thought I'd actually see the day when someone admitted "their seat" was more important than going to see Rangers.
Something i'd need to seriously think about, not just about the seat, my old pal who we've sat together for years, would struggle with stairs and the like, i'm pleased for the disabled fans, time the club done something, but unfortunately, they'll be winners and losers out it

You'd rather not go, than sit in the club deck?

I never thought I'd actually see the day when someone admitted "their seat" was more important than going to see Rangers.
I really dislike sitting at the football, I want to stand which is why I am in the Broomloan Front. I have no attachment to whatever seat I stand in front of but I'd need to seriously think about it if I was moved out of the Broomloan Front.

I'm fully aware it's an all seater stadium, but the Broomloan Front persistently stands and it's the main reason a lot of us moved in there in the first place.

It's also for these reasons that I think there'd be issues if you relocated people from the Broomloan Front to the newly constructed rows at the front of the Broomloan Rear. You'd be putting people who predominantly want to stand, at the very front of the rear tier where people behind them want to sit down.

Try 10 years!! Bisgrove said we’ll make £1 million profit per year. So by 2033 we’ll have paid it off then from then on we’ll start making money off it.
If Bisgrove's figures are correct then from the moment it opens it boosts our revenue streams. This will help our turnover,profit and help us with FFP. We need as many new revenue streams as possible. With Scotland's "magnificent" TV deal we need money from as many different sources as possible.

I'm not in a wheelchair but have mobility issues, which is why I moved from Main stand rear to Govan front 6 years ago. I sit in row X of govan front so likely will be moved, how will the club identify people like me to try and keep us away from the rear sections of the ground and club deck? Also my 10 year old daughters seat is two seats behind me in row Z, will she be moved with me? There should be a proper consultation with fans affected by this even if it means work being delayed as there are too many variable circumstances which affects where people can be reasonably moved to. No way should elderly people and people with mobility issues be even asked to entertain rear sections of the ground or club deck.

Like you I’m in Row X. The plan says there’s 569 (I think) seats coming out of the SJF. That would be less than three rows. (690 I believe). Row X is going to be tight. Either way this shouldn’t have been communicated without the details about the rows impacted also being published. It’s typical Rangers. They probably won’t even tell us until season ticket renewal time.

Parking is a point that's continuously discussed with the Club. Things are up in the air a bit with the change in circumstances with the collapse of the sale of the Albion. Not sure what will eventually happen but the status quo holds for now. It's something the Club recognise and acknowledge but it doesn’t matter what they come up with it simply won't be possible to meet demand.
Go in with council/government on a park and ride multi storey somewhere near the Ibrox subway. Ideally used on match day for cars going east after the game.
Go in with council/ government on a park and ride multi storey at the Albion and train station on the main Glasgow/Paisley/Ayr line. Ideally used on match day for cars going west after the game.

That would meet demand and bring people to Govan on non match day, keep cars out city centre, help traffic congestion after games, bring more money into the club on match days, keep cars away from local driveways and many more.

"we need more seating, we need more seating" was the shout for many years
club plans for more seating
now we get "I don't want to move my seat, why are they doing this to me"

If the club came out and confirmed both projects were funded and would run in tandem, as much as they possibly could, then I think the moaning would be minimal.

The worry is the funding for the additional seats is not sourced, or if it is it’s a season or 2 down the line.

If the club came out and confirmed both projects were funded and would run in tandem, as much as they possibly could, then I think the moaning would be minimal.

The worry is the funding for the additional seats is not sourced, or if it is it’s a season or 2 down the line.
Correct, there seems to be folk who don't get that, extra seats could be 5 or even 10 years away, we just don't know

Exactly this.

The two projects need done at the same time so supporters who sit next to family and friends can continue to do so.

Let's hope the board are onto this now.

Another thing about being row AA in Broomloan Front (and the other stands too, I assume) is how far the extension to the Rear stands above come down.

Like others have said, I'm in BF because I want to stand at the football. Depending on the overhang from BR, it might end up not being possible to stand and still see the full park. Which will be a pisser because everybody else in BF will still be standing.

Hopefully the Club have factored that in to their plans.

Another thing about being row AA in Broomloan Front (and the other stands too, I assume) is how far the extension to the Rear stands above come down.

Like others have said, I'm in BF because I want to stand at the football. Depending on the overhang from BR, it might end up not being possible to stand and still see the full park. Which will be a pisser because everybody else in BF will still be standing.

I did think that, could be similar to the back rows of the enclosures

Something i'd need to seriously think about, not just about the seat, my old pal who we've sat together for years, would struggle with stairs and the like, i'm pleased for the disabled fans, time the club done something, but unfortunately, they'll be winners and losers out it
There are lifts to the club deck, you don't need to use the stairs if you can't.

There's no way the club would move fans and not issue lift passes to those who needed them.

"we need more seating, we need more seating" was the shout for many years
club plans for more seating
now we get "I don't want to move my seat, why are they doing this to me"
If the increase was guaranteed, I don’t think there would be as much concern.

If the club were able to say we’re 100% getting 1800 more seats, invite people to apply for a move, it would then allow the club to rejig the lower sections to protect people with mobility issues who might ordinarily be moved

Could always put the Safe Standing Section in the Copland Front.

Didn’t even cross my mind. Do you think the club would tell existing ST holders if their new seats would be regarded as restricted view during a consultation?

The Copland stand is earmarked for the same work as BF though? Won’t solve that issue
Maybe but it would mean the section would be in the traditional home end and also wouldn't be given up if a team in the cups or Europe demands and gets a bigger than normal allocation.

Anything is possible now that the club have shown that "long term season holders" don't own their seat and don't have a veto on progress.

Could always put the Safe Standing Section in the Copland Front.
Once this work is done I can't see the club introducing safe standing in any lower sections as it would impact on the view in the new disabled sections.
Only place it would be viable is the corner sections.

Once this work is done I can't see the club introducing safe standing in any lower sections as it would impact on the view in the new disabled sections.
Only place it would be viable is the corner sections.
Won't be any impact at all.

The platform for the current disabled section in BF5 sits a lot higher up than the row of seats in front.

Tbh given everyone should be seated I’m not sure how much weight your argument would carry

However, given you’d need access to your seat by walking, I’d imagine the overhang won’t be too bad as it’ll have to be a minimum clearance height from the ground

so the front section losing seats will be accomodated when they implement the new seats in the rears
have i read this correct?

so the front section losing seats will be accomodated when they implement the new seats in the rears
At the moment only the new disabled areas are getting built so as it stands everyone getting moved will be scattered across the stadium.

Yes but the lower deck renovation is 100% happening as funding has been secured, upper deck funding hasn’t been secured and work is dependant on it being secured

So really we’re looking at our stadium being 48800 capacity roughly, with a huge exercise to relocating 1000+ fans, without any work starting on the upper deck capacity increase

Broomloan Front, SJ Front and Copland Front from roughly row X upwards will be getting moved.
That's not right, basically most of Rows Y, Z and AA will not be moved. The accessible platforms will be in front of those rows with only a small number of those seats removed to install the access lifts.

The rows mainly affected are going to be in front of Row X.

That's not right, basically most of Rows Y, Z and AA will not be moved. The accessible platforms will be in front of those rows with only a small number of those seats removed to install the access lifts.

You are incorrect I'm afraid.

Rows X, Y, Z will definitely be getting moved.

Row AA possibly might remain but will be ambulant seating I believe.

Last edited:

You are correct about the rows in front of X as it'll be Row V and W and possibly U getting moved as well.

But rows Y and Z will definitely be moved as I sit directly along from the platform and can see where it starts and ends and my row is in line with it.

Back