Ibrox capacity increase

Hank Hill

Rangers are in talks with consultants about increasing the capacity of Ibrox to cope with fan demand.

The club are exploring the possibility of modernising the stadium to house up to 55,000 supporters in the coming seasons.

That’s around 5,000 more than at present, but record season ticket sales of 47,000 and a waiting list of over 15,000 has prompted the Light Blues to call in engineers.

There will be no radical overhaul of the stadium, such as new tiers on any of the existing stands.

However, a range of options are under discussion, which includes extending the areas between the bottom and the top of the Copland and Broomloan Stands to fit additional rows of seats.

Talks are also ongoing about modernising the back of the Govan Stand, currently used for corporate boxes, as well as the space currently occupied by the LED screens.

The most ambitious project would be lowering the pitch again, which last happened in the mid-nineties, although the level of the water table so close to the Clyde could be an issue.

Rangers managing director Stewart Robertson said: “It’s something we’re looking at just now. We won’t see anything as grand as another tier built on top of one of the existing stands.

“However, we are exploring ways we can add additional seating into the stadium. I don’t see it being another 10,000, it would maybe be low thousands.

“There are feasibility works going on at this moment and we’re probably two or three months away from knowing whether it will be possible or not.

“We’re working with a couple of consultancy firms to see what might be possible and to work out the financials on it.

“Ultimately, if the financial model doesn’t work and we don’t get payback on it then you could question why we’d would do it as it’s money that could be used elsewhere.

“However, we’re keen to explore it and see if it’s possible because the demand from fans has been phenomenal, absolutely incredible.

“There is no sign of that lessening in the short term and if we can do it it’s another investment to go into the club.”

Ibrox became the first modern, virtually all-seated stadium in British football history when it was extensively remodelled after the disaster of 1971.

Three new stands were opened in 1981, funded by the success of the club’s pools, and the club deck was added on top of the main stand in 1991 with almost half the £20 million cost coming from a fan debenture scheme.

The new Rangers board have spent extensively in the last three years bringing the ground back up to shape after it was neglected during the club’s recent financial crisis.

Robertson added: “Several millions have been invested and a lot of the work is unseen.

“If you don’t spend money on your house for a number of years you end up having to invest heavily and that’s the stage we’re at.

“We’ve done the necessary stuff over the last couple of years and now we’re onto the enhancements for the hospitality areas and the players’ lounge and lots of other different projects, with more to come.”

What id love to see/ unrealistic this is, is for us to fill in the corners similar to the stadium in genoa - i know we cant properly fill them in cos of the original design,...but squeeze some more seats in there then do something with corners that mirrors the other corners and supports another tier on the govan... then potentially the other two... just a pipe dream unless i win the euromillions

By the sounds of that the only feasible way( in monetary terms ) of an increase is scrapping the small gap/gradient between the Copland front and rear , same in broomloan , making both ends all one big stand with seats going in where the current divide/advertising boards are . How many seats that would add and what the cost would be I don’t know .

There’s no way we are filling in the corners except perhaps with better bigger screens , and the pitch is as low as it can go without spending a fortune building a water table flood barrier .

I don’t think this will come to anything but worth keeping an eye on .

They need to do something. 14k waiting list for season tickets.

Let’s say only 10k of them are for new season tickets and not seat transfers and each ticket is on average £400, that’s another £4m a season potentially being lost.

However I think it’s too difficult to do what they are proposing. I just don’t see how any expansion even on a small scale can be done.

Hope this isn't out of turn, but Dave King & David Murray's media handling, very similar?

I think Dave King gets a very easy ride from a lot of forelock-tuggers on here but comparing his style to Murray's is miles off target. Murray loved the attention, the profile, the interviews with the media. Dave King doesn't even live on the same continent and while he might be prone to the odd misstep when he does speak he hardly ever gives interviews.

Doesn't need to be pie in the sky.
Demand is there.
5000 seats at £500 is 2.5 million over 3 years is 7.5 million take £100 for 3 game euro ticket that's 500k or 3 years 9million.

Demand might be there but supply isn't. Murray would have done it if it was possible.

Each of the top rear sections could be extended out wards from the bottom, over the top of the front sections without too much upset.

I also think there is a way to remove the screens and make more executive boxes or relocate existing ones.

They have to do something as complying with forthcoming UEFA regulations in regards to disabled facilities could lead to a LOSS of between 1-2k seats.

The screens can be easily shifted to the roofs above the goals at either end without affecting the view of the pitch from the Broomloan or Copland Stands.

Le Havre have the same birthday as us. They built a new stadium in 2012 that we were supposed to open before things went tits up.

Cracking ground. 25,000 capacity. Cost? 100 million. And this was almost ten years ago.

Talk of extra tiers really is pie in the sky. We simply do not have the money just now, and realistically we are probably not on a sound enough footing to look at a long term financing (tens of millions at least) of such a project.

I suspect we’re looking at a bar72 type addition of three or four rows at the front of the Copland and Broomie rear sections, and maybe looking at whether anything can be done with the extreme ends of the front of the main stand which are seated but currently unusable due to the severely restricted views (to put it mildly).

Personally, if we have £5M+ in financing available to spend on the footprint of the stadium then I’d be looking at the Edmiston House site first. Museum. Club shop. Sports bars. Function suites. Cafes and restaurants. Fanzone. A statement for our 150th birthday. These would have the potential to bring in income throughout the year and not just on match days.

It'll be alterations of both stands behind the goals I reckon. Possibly changing the gradient of them to put seats in the gap which currently separates the front and rear sections and making them essentially single tier stands.

Not sure what that would add capacity wise. Maybe 1.5k each stand so 3k extra seats in total?

Getting planning permission from GCC for an increase in capacity will be a big issue.
I'd imagine that they will be looking for the club to provide more parking spaces and an investment in public transport as a condition of getting permission.

Just googled it. Shocking. I'm off to bed.

That's far too small to justify the mega bit. Let me introduce you to

FyV4A21564189547.png

Getting planning permission from GCC for an increase in capacity will be a big issue.
I'd imagine that they will be looking for the club to provide more parking spaces and an investment in public transport as a condition of getting permission.
Ibrox has the best transport links of any stadium in Glasgow - tube, motorway, even the drumbreck overground station - and its in an area in need of regeneration - the club should be able to argue their case with that i think

By the sounds of that the only feasible way( in monetary terms ) of an increase is scrapping the small gap/gradient between the Copland front and rear , same in broomloan , making both ends all one big stand with seats going in where the current divide/advertising boards are . How many seats that would add and what the cost would be I don’t know .

There’s no way we are filling in the corners except perhaps with better bigger screens , and the pitch is as low as it can go without spending a fortune building a water table flood barrier .

I don’t think this will come to anything but worth keeping an eye on .

Are these two areas not needed to be kept free to allow for airflow onto the pitch itself?

Are these two areas not needed to be kept free to allow for airflow onto the pitch itself?

The bit separating the front of the Copland from the rear ? I don’t think so , or haven’t heard that’s the case . I’d imagine they are looking at levelling it off and putting seats where you see the current advertising hoardings halfway up .

Back