Ibrox Capacity needs increased

SimonLeBon

The support the club gets in what in all honesty has not been a good season, last few weeks apart. We not only sell out every single away match allocation, but also now filling Ibrox to the rafters in virtually every league match. Just think what kind of support we could command when we eventually get some success.

Things are tight money wise at present but if ever some funds become available, then increasing capacity needs to be up there as a priority along with adding to the squad, speculate to accumulate, bigger crowds means more money coming into the coffers.

The one shining light throughout the last 6 years of misery, has been the incredible Rangers support, let's get more of them into the stadium.

Agree mate but some say the cost of doing it outweighs the return we will get, I dont get that logic as over time that money will be repaid.

Does anyone know what the max capacity we could get if those screens were taken out and filled with seats?

Lowering the pitch and taking the screens out would hopefully add a few thousand seats and wouldn't cost as much as building a 3 tier stand.
Not 100 sure, but I don't think the structure at the screens is easily adapted to adding seating

Big screens out then fill with seats, add third tiers onto Broomloan, Sandy Jardine and Copland Stands with hospitality boxes built into the middle replicating Bar72's structure and Safe Standing installed along the entire Copland Front.
I may be wrong but I'm sure when this has been brought up previously that it is impossible to put seats where the screens are.

Sure I read the Club Deck cost more than Celtic paid for their whole stadium redevelopment, so I would suggest to increase the capacity of Ibrox the correct way would cost a fortune short term rather than doing it cheaply as Celtic have done. Sure that will come back to bite them sooner rather than later.

And at the same time could we really fit an extra 10,000 to make it worthwhile? I ain’t so sure.

Have you seen how much new stadiums cost? Now, you are talking about more tiers on an already built stand. The club deck cost £20m back in 1991!

New tiers on each stand would cost at the very minimum now about say £50-75m +

Reactions: WBD
The foundations are in the Govan for if we wanted to do that

I thought there was a steel beam or something stopping ability to construct a three tier stand in the Govan? This is going back a few years ago on previous boards when people used to distribute the picture of Ibrox joined together with 3 tiers.

It's low on any agenda for a number of reasons.

1. Costs

2. Return on Investment

3. We are currently spending £4m on refurbishing need to spend millions more just to bring Ibrox up to standard.

It's low on any agenda for a number of reasons.

1. Costs

2. Return on Investment

3. We are currently spending £4m on refurbishing need to spend millions more just to bring Ibrox up to standard.
Point 2 I just don't get, the money will come back in through time, it doesn't matter if it takes 10-20 years the money will be repaid. The upfront cost of it I agree I don't see how we can afford it just now.

Best option would be demolishing Copeland and broomloan and rebuilding with 3 tiers. Might look weird but suspect cost of getting rid of govan with the hospitality boxes etc and the cost to replcer them would be prohibitive

Not that I'm saying a new broamloan and Copeland would be cheap

Knock down the Copland, Broomloan and Govan and reinvent them. Copland Front safe standing, Copland Rear seating
Govan Front safe standing, Govan Rear, first few rows hospitality a la Club Europe, the rest seated.
Broomloan Front safe standing (no season ticket) Broomloan Rear, family stand all seated.
Away support housed in the East Enclosure.
Govan East and West part safe standing at the front and hospitality seats towards the back.

I'm protecting this masterplan legally as my idea....:p:D

I was all for the safe standing until I found out it could reduce the capacity. Until we have the finance to increase, it's a no for me. It also looks unlikely we will ever be able to rely on champions league revenue as the changes being made excludes most of Europe.
This would take major investment and for now, I'd rather that be spent on the team and possibly the surrounding area.

... broamloan and Copeland ...

3lIhDt9.gif

Agree mate but some say the cost of doing it outweighs the return we will get, I dont get that logic as over time that money will be repaid.

Does anyone know what the max capacity we could get if those screens were taken out and filled with seats?

The logic of this is that it would cost tens of millions of pounds. We don't have tens of millions of pounds, nor could we borrow tens of millions of pounds or pay back tens of millions of pounds.

This is not the 90s.

There is no quick or cheap solution, I would expect taking out the screens and joining the Govan to the two other stands would be the “easiest” solution but would only give us a couple of thousand each end so probably not cost effective at the moment.

I thought there was a steel beam or something stopping ability to construct a three tier stand in the Govan? This is going back a few years ago on previous boards when people used to distribute the picture of Ibrox joined together with 3 tiers.

There is a beam however it can be removed to allow a third tier

The only way we would get the money to completely redevelop the stadium would be if some company gave us the cash as some kind of stadium renaming deal.

We can't afford it right now

The affordability point is a different one from return on investment.

Even if we could raise the money to do it, if it didn't pay for itself within a reasonable period it wouldn't be worth doing. It depends what revenue the increased capacity would actually generate against the cost of increasing it.

I'd love to know what our average crowds would be if capacity was unlimited. I dislike having a smaller capacity than Celtic. For most of my life, and most of history, it was the other way round.

I'd certainly love a bigger crowd
But in the over all scheme of things - any cash right now has to be spent on the team on the park and on maintenance of the current stadium IMHO
Let's get the playing side right first and then improve the capacity- bit by bit if need be

Last edited:
If the screens were removed, what is the potential capacity increase? Maybe 2500 each? So, 5000 seats approx. Over 19 league games, let’s say you sell most out at an average of £25 a head, allowing for increased prices for old firm games and the fact some will be lower for concessions; approx 2.25million a year. If it were to take us 7/8 years to recoup the cost then maybe it’s viable. If it were to cost far more than c. £18 million then probably not worth doing (amazing as it could look!)?

If the screens were removed, what is the potential capacity increase? Maybe 2500 each? So, 5000 seats approx. Over 19 league games, let’s say you sell most out at an average of £25 a head, allowing for increased prices for old firm games and the fact some will be lower for concessions; approx 2.25million a year. If it were to take us 7/8 years to recoup the cost then maybe it’s viable. If it were to cost far more than c. £18 million then probably not worth doing (amazing as it could look!)?

If the screens were removed the potential increase in capacity is zero. This has been discussed at length here for years, it can’t be done due to the structure and thefounds

Next time you're at Ibrox take a good look at the corners.
You'll be surprised at how large an area they take up.

Easily 4k either end.

I doubt we would be granted planning permission for any capacity increase without greatly increasing the parking provisions nearby.
Not getting hold of the land round about the stadium before it was developed will really hurt us in the long term.

Next time you're at Ibrox take a good look at the corners.
You'll be surprised at how large an area they take up.

Easily 4k either end.

I just remember one of the spin stories the Murray put out (circa 2007 ish?) about increasing capacity by filling in corners. Sure the chat was it would increase to about 57k or thereabouts. Also, think the copland/broomie hold 7.5k each? Been told above that it wouldn’t increase at all anyway apparently :):D

If the screens were removed the potential increase in capacity is zero. This has been discussed at length here for years, it can’t be done due to the structure and thefounds

You can sling temporary scaffolding up at shitey wee grounds when we visit(including the tramphitheatre)that's deemed safe enough to watch a sporting event.

We can send man to Mars if so required.

This guy is pumping the big blonde thing.

Yet we've to believe the technology is not there to build a permanent structure between two solid stands.

I'm calling bollocks on that one.

Last edited:
Back