Ibrox Capacity needs increased

The easiest and most affordable first step would be to lobby hard to get the Copland Front turned into safe standing with a ratio of 1 to 1.8, this would add an extra 2,800 approx.

We would need Uefa permission for European games or it would create more problems than it solved. Well worth a call to Campbell Ogilvie to see how many of his old contacts still hold influential positions.

Mentioned this on last week's increase the capacity thread - I think it would be interesting to *properly* look at the attendance figures first (ie actual headcounts). I suspect there are actually only a handful of games where we are properly sold out. I appreciate the "precounting" of ST holders complicates things. But we simply aren't placed to make multimillion pound investments on a whim right now.

Increasing capacity is all about large short term investment for long term returns. At the moment our focus should be on investing in the squad to win the league and then, hopefully, reaping the cash reward that being in the CL brings.

We could easily fill 60,000 + for big games, but we just don't have the money to expand the stadium. The sums involved to do so would be mind-boggling.

Big screens out then fill with seats, add third tiers onto Broomloan, Sandy Jardine and Copland Stands with hospitality boxes built into the middle replicating Bar72's structure and Safe Standing installed along the entire Copland Front.
So the cheap option you’ve gone for then...? :eek:

Big screens out then fill with seats, add third tiers onto Broomloan, Sandy Jardine and Copland Stands with hospitality boxes built into the middle replicating Bar72's structure and Safe Standing installed along the entire Copland Front.

You got a spare 100 million. Third tiers on all three stands? Jesus you read some pish on here.

Lowering the pitch and taking the screens out would hopefully add a few thousand seats and wouldn't cost as much as building a 3 tier stand.
Can't lower the pitch as we are pretty much in line with the water table.

Can't put seats in the corners as that's where the steel work is that holds up the stands.

Have you seen how much new stadiums cost? Now, you are talking about more tiers on an already built stand. The club deck cost £20m back in 1991!

New tiers on each stand would cost at the very minimum now about say £50-75m +
With our brand name we could attract major company’s to sponsor theses structures

I would think we are a good way off being in a position to do anything of note 're capacity. Would be nice if we could do.

If we lower the pitch anymore we will be playing in Australia
Didn't we have to raise the pitch once before because the sun wasn't reaching the playing surface sufficiently enough to promote quality growth- and we had to re-lay the surface more often - increasing costs ? Or is this my imagination ?

dopf4fB.png

That's the one :)

Get the bunnet to advise on this. I'm sure he knows a good Meccano supplier and could bring the project in under £1m, Breezeblock Towers style. :D

Unofficial mock up of govan with extra tier

Official mock up of corner before deciding on screens

The third tier on the Govan looks fine. Get another 7,000 on there, Club Deck style (a bit more leg room required if that happened though).

The corners with restricted view seats in a new stadium is a horrific idea. No thanks to that.

You processed that and typed it within a minute of the OP going up. :cool:

Wow man, impressive.

:):)

Exterior mock up, showing the 3 new stands with an extra tier and how a new development might incorporate the main stand

I highly doubt we’d get permission to block the exposed sides of the main stand exterior.

We also need to allow vehicle access to the inside of the stadium

If we were to take the screens out we could easily fill it with a few thousand extra seats at a small cost.

Only thing is the Govan west corner is the away corner so wouldnt really benefit us unsless we moved the away section

The screens will stay until a final decision is taken on VAR, You may see more stadiums adding screens across Europe too as VAR comes into play.

Can we sustain the sell out crowds? We were not selling out every match in the glory years of the 90's.

Build a gantry over the halfway line from the main stand to the sandy jardine stand with a single row of swivel seats giving a birdseye view of the fitba.

Not this again.. screens out, chuck a few thousand seats in, easy... naw. Believe it or not the roof isn’t just floating on top of those 3 stands. We would have to engineer an entirely new roof structure to accommodate maybe 3000 new seats max at an absolutely monumental cost. Never going to happen.

It won't be increased. It will only go down in our lifetimes.

The stadium is now landlocked with the re-building of the housing estate opposite the Main Stand.

There is no room for expansion or the required car parking. End of.

Filling in the corners with seats?

This is the size of the supporting structure which exist in the corners at both sides of the Govan Stand

gn162.png

Next to them the Copland and Broomie structures on the other end...

The graphic shows the structures and the areas that would have a 'restricted view' should the corners be filled.

gn163.png

Would you want to sit in the areas marked red?

Not this again.. screens out, chuck a few thousand seats in, easy... naw. Believe it or not the roof isn’t just floating on top of those 3 stands. We would have to engineer an entirely new roof structure to accommodate maybe 3000 new seats max at an absolutely monumental cost. Never going to happen.
Both corners would probably accommodate 4k each.

Have a look at the area in question next time you're at Ibrox. It's surprisingly large and at least 3 times larger than the bottom sections which I believe hold 1100 each.

It fûcks me off royally that the bheasts have a bigger stadium. The demand for our tickets is high already and will go astronomical when we win 55.

If money wasn’t an option I’d love to see the Broomloan, Govan and the Copland all demolished and rebuild.

Tall, steep stands and as close to the pitch as possible.

And of course a new specially designed area for scum fans in the corner when they visit.

Both corners would probably accommodate 4k each.

Have a look at the area in question next time you're at Ibrox. It's surprisingly large and at least 3 times larger than the bottom sections which I believe hold 1100 each.
3 new roofs, enormous foundations + supports for the broomie, govan + copland and you will get your 6 or 7k seats.

£50m should cover it, well maybe.

Just imagine for a moment the noise and atmosphere if we ever did one day have a 70,000 all seater stadium.

The third tier on the Govan looks fine. Get another 7,000 on there, Club Deck style (a bit more leg room required if that happened though).

The corners with restricted view seats in a new stadium is a horrific idea. No thanks to that.

IIRc the stantions in the corner seating were from the official pictures in the prospectus that rangers sent out .

There was a FF cartoon in a mag around that time depicting how Murray would squeeze an extra 5000 seats into those areas . Need to see if I can find it .

Can’t help feeling a full rebuild of the newer stands would probably be cheaper and easier than redevelopment

Nobody knows if we can increase capacity where the screens are Its all speculation because there hasn't been structure study done . We doo need to increase capacity or we get left behind which is not the Rangers way. We have stagnated off the park.

Allow RTV to broadcast all our games to subscription payers in this country...3pm ko's and those games not on Sky or BT.

Add these numbers to our Ibrox attendances.

We don't need to increase the ground capacity.

Let the mhanks do the same, then see who has the largest viewing figs, live and tv.

3 new roofs, enormous foundations + supports for the broomie, govan + copland and you will get your 6 or 7k seats.

£50m should cover it, well maybe.
I'm not questioning costs.
I was questioning the estimate that the areas would only hold 1500 each.

So the bheasts can fill a 60,000 stadium/sell ST’s but we can’t?
We could for some games but not most .

Dont know what 55 has to do with it either, by that reckoning the same people will disappear when we aren't winning again.

Back