Ibrox cauldron spooked us in Rangers defeat says Feyenoord’s Steven Berghuis

JW1988

Official Ticketer
STEVEN BERGHUIS admits Feyenoord were spooked by the cauldron of noise at Ibrox and lucky not to be on the end of a real hammering by Rangers.

The former Watford striker reckons his side couldn’t cope with the Light Blues in the first half and then when they did get going, they came up against a resolute defence.

Berghuis now says the pressure is on Feyenoord to beat group favourites Porto in Rotterdam in two weeks’ time or their qualification hopes could be wrecked.

The 27-year-old said: “We were lucky that we were only one goal down at half-time.

“The second half was a little bit better but we couldn’t break down the blue wall because Rangers defended so well.

“We found it really difficult to play because of the noise and the atmosphere in the stadium.

So we need to find out a way to play away from home in these kind of conditions

“I thought we started quite well but because of the pressure play of Rangers we were forced to play the long ball and that’s not the way we are used to playing.

“We were knocked out of our own game.”

Berghuis, speaking to Feyenoord TV, added: “But the roles will be reversed when Rangers come to Rotterdam. De Kuip can be just like Ibrox was in these kind of European nights.

“We will have the crowd behind us and they can give us wings to give that extra percentage to play like Rangers did on Thursday night.

“It will be an important game for us in terms of our qualification hopes.

“But the next game is even more important. We have Porto at home and we need to win that game to get back into contention in the group.”

I didn’t think the atmosphere was brilliant myself, felt there was a lot of silent spells in the second half, when the team
Needed us most.
Rapid Vienna was better imo.

Nice to see him with such positive words about us though.

STEVEN BERGHUIS admits Feyenoord were spooked by the cauldron of noise at Ibrox and lucky not to be on the end of a real hammering by Rangers.

The former Watford striker reckons his side couldn’t cope with the Light Blues in the first half and then when they did get going, they came up against a resolute defence.

Berghuis now says the pressure is on Feyenoord to beat group favourites Porto in Rotterdam in two weeks’ time or their qualification hopes could be wrecked.

The 27-year-old said: “We were lucky that we were only one goal down at half-time.

“The second half was a little bit better but we couldn’t break down the blue wall because Rangers defended so well.

“We found it really difficult to play because of the noise and the atmosphere in the stadium.

So we need to find out a way to play away from home in these kind of conditions

“I thought we started quite well but because of the pressure play of Rangers we were forced to play the long ball and that’s not the way we are used to playing.

“We were knocked out of our own game.”

Berghuis, speaking to Feyenoord TV, added: “But the roles will be reversed when Rangers come to Rotterdam. De Kuip can be just like Ibrox was in these kind of European nights.

“We will have the crowd behind us and they can give us wings to give that extra percentage to play like Rangers did on Thursday night.

“It will be an important game for us in terms of our qualification hopes.

“But the next game is even more important. We have Porto at home and we need to win that game to get back into contention in the group.”

I didn’t think the atmosphere was brilliant myself, felt there was a lot of silent spells in the second half, when the team
Needed us most.
Rapid Vienna was better imo.

Nice to see him with such positive words about us though.
I thought the atmosphere was great. Their fans were stunned into silence by us.

Vienna captain said exactly the same when we turned them over. It's so vital we continue to back the team from the stands with everything we have. I was moved up to BR1 from BF5 last night and granted its the family stand but there were plenty there like me who had been relocated who didn't utter a peep the whole game. The whole stadium rocking from start to finish is enough to see us take any opponent at Ibrox if we play to our potential

I thought the atmosphere was electric in the first half. It did die a wee bit in the 2nd half however, I believe nerves played a part in that. The longer it stayed 1 nil the more tense and nervous the support became.

A wonderful night though.

Just nerves for everyone in the second half mate calmed the atmosphere down a bit but at any point if we had went 2-0 it would of been bouncing the whole game , good to see us getting singing going and behind the team during the last 10 minutes though

You could see it in their faces in the first half and they looked shell shocked walking off at half time. It definitely got to them

Until we got the pen they looked the better side. They actually started both halves better than us tbh. Other than those periods I thought we looked the far better side. They will finish bottom of the group imho.

Until we got the pen they looked the better side. They actually started both halves better than us tbh. Other than those periods I thought we looked the far better side. They will finish bottom of the group imho.
I think superior is pushing it but they did move the ball about well and they cut us open in the first couple of minutes. Their defence was shite though. Very fortunate to get away with a 1 nil defeat.

Vienna captain said exactly the same when we turned them over. It's so vital we continue to back the team from the stands with everything we have. I was moved up to BR1 from BF5 last night and granted its the family stand but there were plenty there like me who had been relocated who didn't utter a peep the whole game. The whole stadium rocking from start to finish is enough to see us take any opponent at Ibrox if we play to our potential

Exact same as yourself and it takes some getting used to having to sit down and shut up for the weans (and auld moaning dicks).

Love my BF5 spot but being punted regularly is a real arse ache.

Think an atmosphere like Ibrox can affect inexperienced or poor players, but overall I think the main effect is the boost it gives to Rangers players. You can see it in how quickly they were closing Feyenoord down in that first half and how many challenges they were winning.

I realise that experienced internationals like Buffon have said that they were distracted by the atmosphere at Ibrox, but he always turned in good performances regardless.

Exact same as yourself and it takes some getting used to having to sit down and shut up for the weans (and auld moaning dicks).

Love my BF5 spot but being punted regularly is a real arse ache.
Was moved from BR5 to BR1 I know it’s the family section but for some reason every home game me and my son have been to that section has been absolutely rocking:))

Think an atmosphere like Ibrox can affect inexperienced or poor players, but overall I think the main effect is the boost it gives to Rangers players. You can see it in how quickly they were closing Feyenoord down in that first half and how many challenges they were winning.

I realise that experienced internationals like Buffon have said that they were distracted by the atmosphere at Ibrox, but he always turned in good performances regardless.
“Before the game we got such a lift from the crowd. During it we got a lot of energy from them. Even the biggest teams will have problems if you put them under pressure.”

Filip Helander on the Feyenoord game.

I'll be honest, a lot of times when we play teams and their players or manager give interviews, they can come across as arrogant bastards or stick the boot into us.

The Feyenoord guys seem to have had nothing but good things to say, even if their fans are a shower of dickheads.

Still loads of room for improvement from us. First half was good.

But in the second half when out players were up against it a bit, there were long periods of silence. That's really when the guys need our "support".

Assuming Feynoord are still in a chance for qualification, De Kuip will be every bit as intimidating - probably more - than Ibrox.

Reactions: MSF
I keep on saying this but our support need to rise to the challenge and at least try to generate similar atmospheres at our league games. We need to understand just how important a role we can play in the campaign for #55.
Agreed.

And it's exactly why SG keeps banging on about it and trying to get an atmosphere at home games. But too many times we fall way, way short. I can feel his frustration.

Agreed.

And it's exactly why SG keeps banging on about it and trying to get an atmosphere at home games. But too many times we fall way, way short. I can feel his frustration.
You can tell the gaffer is frustrated and no doubt bemused by the Jekyll and Hyde character of our support. We ask that the players give 100% every game, no matter the opposition. He should ask the fans to do the same. How badly do we want #55 after all?

Still loads of room for improvement from us. First half was good.

But in the second half when out players were up against it a bit, there were long periods of silence. That's really when the guys need our "support".

Assuming Feynoord are still in a chance for qualification, De Kuip will be every bit as intimidating - probably more - than Ibrox.

Was nerves mate. It happens.

The most impressive ‘crowd-dismantling’ I have seen - of a quality opposition team - was Rangers vs Dynamo Kiev under Souness.

Kiev at that time were basically the Soviet Union national squad, and one of the best teams in the world. They were man for man miles better than us - but fortunately for us they were psychologically unprepared for what was coming inside Ibrox that night. They stepped unwittingly into an unbelievable cauldron of noise defending a 1-0 lead from the first leg.

You know how your first experience of the old firm game kind of blows your mind. You think it feels a bit dangerous - like a stadium of lunatics. Well the Kiev atmosphere that night was for me much more intimidating and louder than that. Kiev were caught right in the middle of an old firm type environment on steroids. They were not prepared.

From the first minute until the last the atmosphere and noise was incredible. It was the the type of environment that felt electric and slightly scary - like the crowd were on the verge of a riot. It was spine-tingling - and the Kiev players visibly folded under the pressure. They looked like nervous wrecks as they wilted under building noise and pressure from all four stands - at times singing totally independently in a cauldron of competing noise. Kiev were broken by our fans that night as much as the team.

It was by far the best and most intimidating atmosphere I have ever experienced at any ground.

I am surprised at Berghuis' comments, as I always thought De Kuip was one of the more hostile grounds around, especially the fans in the lower sections. I was there at the 3-2 defeat in 2002 and thought it was an intense atmosphere. Having done Ajax, Eindhoven and Alkmaar away games, it was certainly in noisiest and fiercest of the Dutch grounds. De Kuip does feel more open due to that sloping roof, so maybe the stands at Ibrox felt more claustrophobic, especially with the Rangers pressing game.

That kind of detracts from our performance / result, does it not?

You’ve heard guys like Gary Neville say how it made them a bit nervous. We are an incredible advantage to our team and weapon against the opposition as wel

I keep on saying this but our support need to rise to the challenge and at least try to generate similar atmospheres at our league games. We need to understand just how important a role we can play in the campaign for #55.

The board could help massively with this by expanding the Union Bears area. They create a great atmosphere with the limited numbers they have, but if you look at ultras across Europe they tend to get a full stand behind the goal rather than one wee section.

Last edited:
The board could help massively with this by expanding the Union Bears area. They create a great atmosphere with the limited numbers they have, but if you look at ultras across Europe they tend to get a full stand behind the goal rather then one wee section.
The continuation of sticking our most energetic and vocal fans in BF1 is absolutely ridiculous. As you say, no other club treats their similar set of fans in this way. It's just typical Rangers :(

The most impressive ‘crowd-dismantling’ I have seen - of a quality opposition team - was Rangers vs Dynamo Kiev under Souness.

Kiev at that time were basically the Soviet Union national squad, and one of the best teams in the world. They were man for man miles better than us - but fortunately for us they were psychologically unprepared for what was coming inside Ibrox that night. They stepped unwittingly into an unbelievable cauldron of noise defending a 1-0 lead from the first leg.

You know how your first experience of the old firm game kind of blows your mind. You think it feels a bit dangerous - like a stadium of lunatics. Well the Kiev atmosphere that night was for me much more intimidating and louder than that. Kiev were caught right in the middle of an old firm type environment on steroids. They were not prepared.

From the first minute until the last the atmosphere and noise was incredible. It was the the type of environment that felt electric and slightly scary - like the crowd were on the verge of a riot. It was spine-tingling - and the Kiev players visibly folded under the pressure. They looked like nervous wrecks as they wilted under building noise and pressure from all four stands - at times singing totally independently in a cauldron of competing noise. Kiev were broken by our fans that night as much as the team.

It was by far the best and most intimidating atmosphere I have ever experienced at any ground.
Cheers mate as that’s probably the best summation of that night as I have read.
Took me straight back to the west enclosure with my brother and I standing, utterly convinced that the club had allowed double the permitted attendance into Ibrox.

Back