Ibrox disabled access.

GarMckin

First off, sometimes our customer service comes under fire, but hats off to the ticket office and John Speirs. My dad was diagnosed with MS last year and had to give up work. This gave him time to start taking my nephew to games, but that’s hard now with a wheelchair.

He contacted the ticket office last week to ask about how to get disabled tickets, and was quickly put in contact with John. After speaking with John, he was offered two comp tickets for the Spurs game to see how comfortable it is for him.

He will be coming in a mobility scooter type wheelchair, to the West Enclosure disabled section. Is there a certain place he should enter? I’ve not been in the Main Stand in years, but don’t think the turnstile doorways are very wheelchair friendly, so is it off to the Club Deck stairs beside the gates?

First off, sometimes our customer service comes under fire, but hats off to the ticket office and John Speirs. My dad was diagnosed with MS last year and had to give up work. This gave him time to start taking my nephew to games, but that’s hard now with a wheelchair.

He contacted the ticket office last week to ask about how to get disabled tickets, and was quickly put in contact with John. After speaking with John, he was offered two comp tickets for the Spurs game to see how comfortable it is for him.

He will be coming in a mobility scooter type wheelchair, to the West Enclosure disabled section. Is there a certain place he should enter? I’ve not been in the Main Stand in years, but don’t think the turnstile doorways are very wheelchair friendly, so is it off to the Club Deck stairs beside the gates?
Great to hear you have had such a good experience for yourselves mate, nice to get a couple of complementary tickets.

BUT!!!!

As a wheelchair user myself I do have a bit of an issue when disabled people are treated like charity cases and not like regular fans.

As a disabled fan I just want a more level playing field in that I can buy a ticket as easily and as readily as an abled bodied fan (or as damn near it as possible). I want to have a choice of location around the stadium and I’d like to be able to attend with family and friends like other fans do.

The reality at the moment (if I talk from my own experiences) is we have a horrible low down view where a lot of the time from our seated position our view is restricted by police and stewards, if I want to go with my wife and son I can get a companion seat beside me and either my wife or my son have to sit elsewhere in the stadium. Not so much an issue now he is 15 but impractical when he was younger as by myself I couldn’t really look after him properly as my wife cares for us both and obviously my lad couldn’t sit himself in the stand. They try to locate you together but it’s not always possible.

Add into all the the woeful availability of tickets simply down to how few accessible seats there are at the stadium. New build stadiums of our capacity by law need to have at least 160 more accessible seats as we have and that doesn’t include seating for folks with other disabilities such as blind people, autism etc.

The club have made “some” improvements over the years but IMHO only pay lip service to the actual needs of disabled fans. I don’t think they really have made the proper “reasonable adjustments” to adhere to the equality act and I’ve said before on here if the disabled fans got together and actually challenge the club in a court I think the club could be in hot water over the lack of proper provisions. They won’t want to strip out a section of seats and put in proper facilities as it would hit the capacity and profit but in the eyes of many it would be a reasonable adjustment to comply with the equality act properly.

So while I’m delighted for your auld fella that he can attend the up coming spurs match I’m sure you will understand my frustration with the club and I’m sure what your frustration will be trying to get him to more regular games. Throwing in a couple of complementary tickets to disabled fans who enquire about tickets really doesn’t solve the bigger issue that disabled fans get a raw deal at Ibrox and many other sporting grounds.

To give you another quick story. We went to a rugby match at Rugby Park in Kilmarnock where Scotland took on Georgia a few years back. We were put in one of those infamous “sheds” at rugby park that used to be in front of the Moffat Stand (you know the ones that were so rickety our fans demolished them at one match simply standing on the roof.

In my story my wife was injured as they had put advertising boards on the top of them and had put them in with 5 inch nails and it would be lucky if the roof was half an inch thick, my wife stood up in it and got a nail right into her head. I get the idea was to try to keep wheelchair users out the elements on the pitch side but they were sore poorly constructed that they were an injury hazard.

My eldest son had an accident at work Nov 2020 and was left with a brain injury. He was not supposed to make it but he did and he improves every day and we have tickets for tomorrow night.
Rangers have been sound with him.
We will get there nice and early as all new to us both:and deffo the earliest we will have been in for a game. :cool:
Andy...if you don't mind i will reserve judgement and can report back after the game mate with how we found it all..

My eldest son had an accident at work Nov 2020 and was left with a brain injury. He was not supposed to make it but he did and he improves every day and we have tickets for tomorrow night.
Rangers have been sound with him.
We will get there nice and early as all new to us both:and deffo the earliest we will have been in for a game. :cool:
Andy...if you don't mind i will reserve judgement and can report back after the game mate with how we found it all..
Mate the club have some good, caring people who work for them and are a real help when you get to a match.

As I said above my frustration is more about trying to attend regularly and not just a one off game.

It’s tragic what has happened to your lad and I’m glad he is able to attend again. I tend to look at things from the point of view of long term disabled people who have had to put up with third class facilities for years and it not being uncommon at various venues.

Again as I said above I don’t want to be seen as a charity case and be given the odd ticket to a match, I’d like to be able to pick and choose what matches I can get to and be able to buy a ticket as readily as any other able bodied fan attending a match, I’d like to not be sat in a “disable section” again as ideally disabled fans should be integrated into the body of the fans all around the ground. The equality act is in place to try to ensure that disabled people are given a fair crack of the whip and it’s a more level playing field.

My favourite stadium by far attending as a wheelchair user is Murrayfield, they have various locations for disabled fans. They are also very accommodating if you want to attend a match with more than just one other person

Do you have a contact number for John as my pal has bee sending emails and getting nowhere

I have been trying for 3 years to sort out accesable seating. I email them and either don't get a reply at all which is majority of the time or of the twice I got a reply it was seating with quite a few stairs which is difficult. I would love to be a season ticket holder but I would wait for years for a seat that's easy to get to.

I think most of us would be happy if the club made it an absolute priority to improve access so that wheelchair users in particular have choices about whether they are happy enough with a pitch side view or want to be higher up somewhere.

Various options are currently being looked at, I'm currently unaware of any specific option having been chosen. A lot of factors will come into the equation.

Good to hear they're being looked at. Will be interesting to see how they go about this

Good on the club for sorting it out hope it all goes well I am sure it will & he enjoys the game

Someone raised this issue at the AGM last year and Stewart Robertson said, if I remember correctly, that himself and the board were either ashamed or embarrassed by the facilities that the club provided for disabled supporters and that they were looking to improve as a matter of urgency.
Be interesting to see if any improvements have been made.

Just to give this thread a wee bump.

Having suffered the disabled facilities at Rugby Park I will say I’m very impressed with their new disabled area in the Moffat stand (I think it’s that one anyway).

It’s actually a real example of what would be considered “reasonable adjustments” too that would be acceptable. They have removed a good number of seats to make the area. I know it doesn’t hit the attendance at Kilmarnock much but it is what Rangers IMHO would have to do if enough disabled people properly challenged the club about their version of a reasonable adjustment.

Just to give this thread a wee bump.

Having suffered the disabled facilities at Rugby Park I will say I’m very impressed with their new disabled area in the Moffat stand (I think it’s that one anyway).

It’s actually a real example of what would be considered “reasonable adjustments” too that would be acceptable. They have removed a good number of seats to make the area. I know it doesn’t hit the attendance at Kilmarnock much but it is what Rangers IMHO would have to do if enough disabled people properly challenged the club about their version of a reasonable adjustment.
I hope the club figures something out with regards to the disabled facilities. Our fans deserve better.

Back