Ibrox is further north than the Piggery

In geographical terms Lewis and Harris are indeed one island, the boundary between the two areas is traditionally Loch Seaforth but this doesn't divide the island. The narrowest point of land is at Tarbert on Harris, but there is no clear water between the two there either.

Lewis and Harris is also the UK's largest island.
Thanks to canals the entire north of Scotland is an island from Fort William through to the Moray Firth. I have proposed giving it a name in the past but apparently nobody else cares.

It's got me. What's the answer?

This thread has done a number on me by the way. Some unbelievable facts.
The French have a colony, Guiana, in South America, North of Brazil.
It’s a wee bit of a cheeky one.
It’s like saying the “Sun never sets on the British Empire”.
(I still love, and proud of, that expression.)

Edit: I see I’ve jumped in there.
Your fault for not “quoting”!:)

Last edited:
My favourite of this ilk is that Exeter is further east than Glasgow, maybe even Greenock.
o_O

If Exeter is further east than Glasgow (and it is), then of course it’s further east than places like Greenock that lie to the west of Glasgow…

o_O

If Exeter is further east than Glasgow (and it is), then of course it’s further east than places like Greenock that lie to the west of Glasgow…
Of course, I made a mess of that but, there is a wee addendum, was highlighted on a previous similar thread, to the Exeter one that I’m now racking my brain about now.

How so?
Ok I see now how they label it on the map,
I have never considered that side of the bridge toward Oban as South Ballachulish
I think it's confused by what we now call Ballachulish is actually the old village of laroch. I think it got renamed when the slate quarry started. Ballachulish before that was the ferry area north and south of loch leven.

Braehead Shopping Centre is further north than Glasgow University.
Part of Islay is further south than Berwick-upon-Tweed in England.

Last edited:
The French have a colony, Guiana, in South America, North of Brazil.
It’s a wee bit of a cheeky one.
It’s like saying the “Sun never sets on the British Empire”.
(I still love, and proud of, that expression.)

Edit: I see I’ve jumped in there.
Your fault for not “quoting”!:)
Not merely a colony it's actually a part of France, in the EU & everything :)

I think it's confused by what we now call Ballachulish is actually the old village of laroch. I think it got renamed when the slate quarry started. Ballachulish before that was the ferry area north and south of loch leven.
The Laroch, what a place, wasted a few times in there!!
For years I have driven through it and always thought of it as North and South Ballachulish either side of the bridge, and basically Ballachulish as the village, and on the Oban side of the bridge as Glenachulish

Alaska is the northernmost state in the USA.

It is also the westernmost and the easternmost.
The easternmost claim relies on a technicality that parts of the Aleutian Islands are so far west, they are in the Eastern Hemisphere.

It’s like saying Japan is East of California. You’d have to go a whole lot further East than you would West.

Carlisle is the biggest city in the United Kingdom, London second.

Parts of Norway are the same longitude as both Paris and Istanbul.

Nicosia (Lefkosia) is the only city in the world in two time zones.

Back