Ibrox pre 1978 thread

2cmrsyx.jpg

Love this photo.
Not just content in sneaking in a wee half bottle but let's bring a wee glass too..
Brilliant...

We didn't sneak booze in back then, took in what we wanted.
My dad always seemed to have a hauf bottle of whisky and two tumblers in his pocket back in the day, especially new year or Christmas games, and his old pals were the same.
I miss those days.

We didn't sneak booze in back then, took in what we wanted.
My dad always seemed to have a hauf bottle of whisky and two tumblers in his pocket back in the day, especially new year or Christmas games, and his old pals were the same.
I miss those days.

My dad was the same. Half bottle, tumbler and 6 panatella cigars. Always met his pals in the West Enclosure near the tunnel whilst I was dispatched down the front trackside with my crisps.

Before Catholics took control of the Scottish media.

Front page of Evening Citizen dated March 29th 1961 published prior to the ECWC Semi-Final first leg that evening between Rangers and Wolves at Ibrox.

The team picked itself back then...some colour later added to the Famous Gates

gn133.png

Stumbled across this thread when having a nosey about the proposed re-opening of Ibrox station. Even as a Motherwell fan I've spent a really enjoyable hour or so looking through some terrific images from a by-gone age.

I love looking at images of old stadia and some of the shots in this thread are fantastic. Brought back some good memories of visits to Ibrox from following MFC, watching Scotland international games, the odd Rangers game, the Commonwealth Games and even being on the pitch at the BB Centenary in 1983!

I've been fortunate to be able to attend huge grounds like Ibrox, Parkhead and Hampden when it was still largely terracing and the capacities were way in excess of what they are today. Clearly there were good reasons for the changes we've experienced over the last thirty or forty years but it's a shame that the young fans of today won't be able to share those experiences.

Looking forward to following the thread in the future to see what other gems are posted.

Interesting shot as it shows the facade of the 'new' main stand being built, with the old main stand in behind

While in the modern era, Liverpool, and to a lesser degree, Hearts were lauded for construction of their new main stands being built around the existing structures. Archibad Leitch would undoubtedly be proud to see his best work a) still standing and b)to be seen as something of a trailblazer in stadium design and construction.

I have been to a few grounds in the UK but literally nothing beats coming off the M8, turning right onto Edmiston drive at the KFC roundabout and seeing that main stand in all its glory. 35 years old and the thrill is the same every time. I even take a wee walk round the stadium on non match days. It's a special place.

My old dad bought me a VHS video years ago for my Xmas that was the Willie Henderson story - this goal was one of the highlights on it, a brilliant individual effort.
I have that on DVD, unless you have converted your old video's over ?

If I could go back in time, it would be to experience a glorious victory within the terraces of the old Ibrox.

Thanks to all posters, these photos are spine tingling.

Reactions: ao2
Bump. Thanks to Farley 1968 for starting the original thread on the old board,hope you are still amongst us:)
I'm still here but not as much bro, as I took a major step back from social media :) It's a great pity the old board closed as there were literally hundreds of pics of the old ground on it - a real Rangers and social history it was...fascinating.

While in the modern era, Liverpool, and to a lesser degree, Hearts were lauded for construction of their new main stands being built around the existing structures. Archibad Leitch would undoubtedly be proud to see his best work a) still standing and b)to be seen as something of a trailblazer in stadium design and construction.

I have been to a few grounds in the UK but literally nothing beats coming off the M8, turning right onto Edmiston drive at the KFC roundabout and seeing that main stand in all its glory. 35 years old and the thrill is the same every time. I even take a wee walk round the stadium on non match days. It's a special place.

It's a special place indeed and many times on non-matchdays I've walked around and gone to the old red brick wall behind the Broomloan and behind where the TV lorries park - that wall is at the very back of the old ground where people walked round to gain entry onto the smaller steps onto Broomloan terraces - Bill Struth's greenhouse was roughly where the wall ends and then exits out onto Broomloan road.

We have a magnificent stadium, with outstanding history few clubs come close to. Our Main Stand is superb, although personally I prefer it in it's earlier guise with the castellated pressbox and two noisy enclosures below. :)

Back