Ibrox pre 1978 thread

Three pics I hadn't seen before...first one of some of the roof damage at the Rangers end following the storms of Jan 1968.

2ze0943.jpg

119cl0l.jpg

2yn5qja.jpg

early to mid 1960's

30mwo5v.jpg

Roof going on Rangers end late summer of '66

2hcpweh.jpg

This pic looks like it is mid -70's going by the hairstyles and the North Enclosure is seated

2ivbkf5.jpg

Spot on with the mid- 70s for the new tannoy system being installed, the pic was taken from a Rangers News at the start of the 1975/76 season.

:) i use imgur and it works every time but as time passes on the threads the pictures slowly seem to disappear.:(

Imgur images seem to be an issue on here. I can only view them when I reply (and even then not always). Tinypic seems to work better, for me at least.

Whisper it mate, but I think this one you posted is Parkhead :eek::D The pavilion in the distance looks like the one they had rather than our much grander structure.

14tn1ie.jpg
I think you're right mate - nicked it off a Rangers Pinterest site - googled it this morning and defo looks like the Piggery Pavilion - wonder what shitey flag they have flying ??
Their pavilion was across from their glass fronted grandstand.....apparently the windows steamed up when the yahoos got excited and they could see fook all out :)

Reactions: ao2
I think you're right mate - nicked it off a Rangers Pinterest site - googled it this morning and defo looks like the Piggery Pavilion - wonder what shitey flag they have flying ??
Their pavilion was across from their glass fronted grandstand.....apparently the windows steamed up when the yahoos got excited and they could see fook all out :)

I wonder ;):D

Yes, I read about the windows somewhere. Sounds like it was built on the cheap even then!

Fans queue to get into Ibrox in October 1949 (Albion Greyhound Stadium can be seen in background)

...and the same view 69 years on.

gn586.png

PS: Hint for those just seeing the letters IMG, right click it, select 'copy image address' open a new window, paste it, and it should appear there.;)

A railway special poster advertising the Scotland v England match at Ibrox on 5th April 1902, the day of the first Ibrox Disaster:

2ugh3bq.jpg

Ibrox at the start of the 1970s, then a decade later in the early 1980s:
2z9ebso.jpg
Love that pic from the 1980s...brand new stands and the original gates where they should be...Copland End.

NOT22.png

and of course where they always were...

https://i.postimg.cc/kX5V7Zrv/Ibrox-gates.png

Wonder who nicked the 3 gold rings under the 'RANGERS'...all the others are still there at least.

There was a discussion on this thread on the old board regarding the existence (or not) of an exit under the Derry which led down to toilets, concessions & a sloped exit ramp to Cairnlea Drive. The first picture below shows the Centenery stand from the tunnel opposite & shows the walkway barrier halfway up which ran along the length of the stand. Just behind that another wall can be seen, this was the wall above the exit stairs which took you down the back of the stand to the concessions The second picture shows Ibrox prior to the Centenary stand seats being added and the ramp leading from the back of the terracing sloping down to the exits at Cairnlea Drive can be seen clearly. I have looked for any clearer pictures of this but no luck so far.
1ht568.jpg

8x56p2.jpg

There was a discussion on this thread on the old board regarding the existence (or not) of an exit under the Derry which led down to toilets, concessions & a sloped exit ramp to Cairnlea Drive. The first picture below shows the Centenery stand from the tunnel opposite & shows the walkway barrier halfway up which ran along the length of the stand. Just behind that another wall can be seen, this was the wall above the exit stairs which took you down the back of the stand to the concessions The second picture shows Ibrox prior to the Centenary stand seats being added and the ramp leading from the back of the terracing sloping down to the exits at Cairnlea Drive can be seen clearly. I have looked for any clearer pictures of this but no luck so far.
1ht568.jpg

8x56p2.jpg

I was never in the old Shed (Derry) at Ibrox. It was me who asked the question on the old thread I think. So in the pic below the path came up the back of the old shed from Cairnlea Drive. It seems to go into a sort of tunnel (overhang) under the back of the shed to a small set of steps towards the 'away' end or were there entrances to the terrace in the tunnel underneath?

fvk64m.jpg

I was never in the old Shed (Derry) at Ibrox. It was me who asked the question on the old thread I think. So in the pic below the path came up the back of the old shed from Cairnlea Drive. It seems to go into a sort of tunnel (overhang) under the back of the shed to a small set of steps towards the 'away' end or were there entrances to the terrace in the tunnel underneath?

fvk64m.jpg
There were entrances to the terracing underneath, also toilets & concessions. I did my Steward at Ibrox for one season (1979-80) and was posted under there more than once. That was in the Centenary stand days, so I know for a fact that the exit stairs to the overhang & ramp were there at that time, I'm just not sure if it was there during the terracing days. But the picture you have posted seems to back this up. Thanks for posting it.

There were entrances to the terracing underneath, also toilets & concessions. I did my Steward at Ibrox for one season (1979-80) and was posted under there more than once. That was in the Centenary stand days, so I know for a fact that the exit stairs to the overhang & ramp were there at that time, I'm just not sure if it was there during the terracing days. But the picture you have posted seems to back this up. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks..pardon my ignorance but what were the concessions? I thinks this was staircase 11 at the end of the Shed.

Can someone help with my memory.
In 1975 we played Airdrie at Ibrox and lost but I seem to remember John Grieg going round the park on a horse and cart with the League trophy.
I was 9.

Back