Icons - Richard Gough

He will always be King Richard to me. My favourite ever Rangers captain. The look on his face and tear in his eye as he lifted the 9th said it all about what it meant for him to be captain of the Rangers.

A player who always stepped up when it mattered and who would run himself into the ground and leave himself bloodied, battered and bruised if that’s what it took to win. Exactly the sort of mental steel I wish we had in our side now.

Best centre half we’ve had in my time. Everything you want and expect from a Rangers captain both on and off the pitch. What we would give to have someone of his ability in our team now.

For those of us who grew up with King Richard, it’s painful to see the real lack of leadership in the current team.

He was everything you want from a Rangers captain. A born winner, natural leader, fine footballer and someone who always conducted himself with dignity and class.

“Gentlemen, you know what is required.”

He will always be King Richard to me. My favourite ever Rangers captain. The look on his face and tear in his eye as he lifted the 9th said it all about what it meant for him to be captain of the Rangers.

A player who always stepped up when it mattered and who would run himself into the ground and leave himself bloodied, battered and bruised if that’s what it took to win. Exactly the sort of mental steel I wish we had in our side now.
Very true and the definition of a leader, the mix of confidence and desire to win we need to get is over the line

Class act all round, on and off the pitch. He would have more than held his own in Italy or Spain in his prime, never mind still playing in England at 39.

One of these guys that would have been a success in whatever industry they went into. A captain of industry type.

He definitely was an icon
A truly wonderful defender- leader & inspiration to others
Led the side from the moment he stepped on the park & was a true gent & professional off it
Every successful side needs a player like him imo

Best centre back I have seen and I have watched The Gers since the days of Ronnie McKinnon. IMO only John Greig stands above Richard as the greatest captain we have had in my time.

Seen him at Turnbury last year.

Passed him a couple of times with ample chances to say “AwriteRichardyouaremyfaveverRangerscaptainhopethegolfwentwell” fast as %^*& without a breath and in a high pitched squeal.

I decided against it.

Not sure some of the younger bears appreciate what a colossus king Richard was for Rangers. A brilliant center half obviously but in addition he was fantastic at organising the whole back line and his leadership skills were second to none. The standard by which others should be judged is Richard Gough, I put him right up there with John Greg.

Referred to in my house growing up as El Capitan,I have no fucking idea why, fits but,at least I feel it does;)

Seen him at Turnbury last year.

Passed him a couple of times with ample chances to say “AwriteRichardyouaremyfaveverRangerscaptainhopethegolfwentwell” fast as %^*& without a breath and in a high pitched squeal.

I decided against it.
You should have you would have been well received.

I remember one pre season game we were playing Borussia Monchengladbach,the Rangers Supporters Trust were playing the Borrussia Supporters at 11.20am on the Astroturf across from Ibrox,when our game finished we all headed to the Wee Rangers for a refreshments before the game.

I drove out of the complex and headed along PRW to turn onto Helen Street where I was going to park the car for a quick getaway after the game,I was wearing the away strip as we had worn the home one during our game, I was also still sweating profusely,I'm sitting at a red light at McDonalds waiting for it to change and I just get a feeling the guy in the next lane is gesticulating to me,I look across and it's King Richard motioning for me to put the window down ,I roll down the window and with a daft grin say 'Alright Richard?

He says 'How you doing mate,are you going to the game?

I say 'Yes are you going yourself?

He says 'Yes I'm looking forward to it'

Then he says 'You look as if you've just finished playing'

So I tell him all about our game and he gives it the thumbs up and says 'Good stuff'

Then the light turns and he tells me to enjoy the game and waves as he drives off.

I didn't even notice him,it was him who engaged me simply because I was wearing the colours.

As for the game,worst game I've ever seen at Ibrox,finished 0-0,I actually fell asleep leaning on the wooden ledge in row A of the Main Stand:))

My Dad didn’t much rate him as a defender in his early days with us and thought his distribution was awful which lead to a few heated exchanges where we used to sit together in the Copland with other fans.
I could never see it tbh but he did warm to him in the end

"Right Lads. We know what's required"

Best tunnel quote ever.

Paul(buzz aboot the place)McStay visibly melted like a chocolate fireguard before even a match had been struck never mind in the heat of the battle.

King Richard. Lions wish they had his heart.

He's the captain of choice for the generation who never saw John Greig play.

I saw both and I can't choose between them who was best.

(Which is a huge compliment in itself to both of them.)

Just one of the best, and some great goals against the unwashed thrown in. Not had anybody better since.

He's the captain of choice for the generation who never saw John Greig play.

I saw both and I can't choose between them who was best.

(Which is a huge compliment in itself to both of them.)

Exactly how I feel about Richard Gough. A true leader of men and my all time favorite Rangers captain.

I mentioned on the Laudrup thread a few weeks back that Laudrup was the best player I had seen in a Rangers shirt in my lifetime but Gough was the greatest Ranger for me.
It is worth pointing out i started going to games in the early 80s so the likes of John Greig etc were not in my era.

Exactly what is missing in our club.A man who would run through a brick wall for the team who was a leader of men.Simply the best.

He was great going forward too, particularly at set-pieces.

I grew-up labouring under the misconception that the likes of Gough, Butcher and Brown were the types of player we would always have.

Came up to Aberdeen for a dinner in aid of former players Last year
Ambassador and gentleman start to finish
No a bad player in his day :)

Rangers Royalty imho

He transcends Legend status,he is above that,He’s up there with the John Greig’s of the Club.

Thread made me look this out.

Question now is sell or keep? Its a big image ideal for framing but my issue is one of space.

Back